1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Town End (BMS)

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Jan 18, 2023.

1. brb

brb CR250

2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Another idea
    Unless Mr. G wants to -- we probably don't expect anything ' elaborate.' - given that we need to get a new stadium etc etc -- so -- it might be money 'wasted' on anything 'flash.'..... However, the present set-up is not really acceptable (( unless you support Accrington Stanley --- actually worse than BMS. )).
    A 'cheap fix' might be something similar to the away end at Bristol Rovers.... It consists of a glorified marquee -- literally a open-sided tent.. It also protects seating similar to BMS. and affords adequate cover for the away fans..... This could be incorporated over the 'lower' part of the BMS - to accommodate around 19oo-2000 fans - which should be sufficient for most away following, up to, and even including Championship clubs.,,, I would expect the cost to be fairly minimal compared with anything more substantial.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    brb likes this.
  3. brb

brb CR250

At least we are thinking along the same lines of keeping within reasonable costing. The guy has already spent a fair whack on players, and as much as his money is appreciated, I'm also conscious the guy needs to make a profit, afterall, what family is going to allow dad to squander all his hard earned cash on a football club!

I think the back of the stand needs to come down, it might mean it all needs to come down, and do work that is sufficient to hold something like you suggested, I've got a picture I'll post up, I assume it is this you mean and it looks more than satisfactory if my thoughts are too expensive...

please log in to view this image

4. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

please log in to view this image

brb - your picture is of the Bristol club shop area - at the side of the 'Home End.'
    The picture I have posted is a picture of the Bristol 'Away' end. The seats are built on top of terracing. The roof is basically a canvass cover... it does its' job.! It doesn't extend all the way across the end behind the goal - but - there is no reason why it can't be in the BMS.... I have been at Bristol when the 'Away' end has been shared with Rovers' fans - so - no reason why the same can't be done in the BMS (( such as is happening v Crawley. ))...... My idea wouldn't require any new seating - just pitch the tent !

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    brb likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

It needs to come down mate, it's a shambles and also becoming a liability now. I'd be interested to know how good the ground is underneath it, and if it's fine to support that structure, it's fine to adapt with something better.

As a young lad I enjoyed standing on the Town End, the weather never became a thought. To help us out, I'd be interested to know various scenario costs, it would then help us to give better opinion.

6. Lord Sondes Clock

Lord Sondes Clock Active Member

My memory might be playing tricks with me but I recall that when the terracing was removed and before the Scally Scaffold was erected, the groundworks were all done ready for the new stand’s steelwork etc at whatever point it became affordable. Does anyone else remember that?

I’m all for saving costs but it would be nice if our saviour had the funds to put up something that was a significant step forward. After EFL survival is confirmed of course.

alwaysright and brb like this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

From tonights meeting:

Gillingham FC

@TheGillsFC
    ·
    11m

Q: Can terracing return, we would love to stand again...

A (PF): Oddly enough, I've been looking at that this afternoon! We have an open mind; I know exactly what it's like and I take your point.

8. brb

brb CR250

and more...

Gillingham FC

@TheGillsFC
    ·
    2m

Q: What's the plan for the Brian Moore Stand?

A (PF): We probably need to take the back section off, put a roof over the front. We will have discussions. It's not all bad if you like scaffolding!

9. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

So possibly a temporary roof. Maybe 1000 capacity

brb likes this.