1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The thrill of travelling with Covid 19.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Lets hope so. We don't have car hire arranged as we don't need it. The plan is to get a pre booked (and paid for) taxi from Newcastle International to Tynemouth and spend a couple of nights there and sail for Porto on Sunday. The local area of Tynemouth (especially) and North Shields, Cullercoats and Whitley Bay is very nice.
    Great pubs and restaurants and general hospitality.
    We sailed from Newcastle in July 2017 when we had a cruise around the Baltic with the same cruise line, and always said we'd go back.

2. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

3. Angelicnumber16

Thanks bcfcredandwhite
    Will just have to wait and see I guess. A lot could happen in the next 2 weeks before we're due to fly.
    Have been to the Canaries multiple times previously but am (or was !) really looking forward to Porto, Madeira and A' Coruna all of which would be firsts for us. Question might be whether we still want to go if we're told in advance that we're not allowed to disembark the ship in any of the ports we're due to sail to.

4. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Reading everybody's holiday plans makes me feel excited for summer coming up again.... really hope that everyone's plans aren't scuppered.

I've got a trip to Vancouver/Calgary planned this year, as well as Vienna and a couple of festivals. Will be a miracle if all of them go through to be honest. Starting to think Cornwall/Devon trips are the smartest ones to have planned this time around.

5. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Milan in April (or maybe not now, but possibly could be the safest place to be after their lock down)
    Lanzarote in June with all the kids and grandkids
    Santorini in August
    Dubai for New Years.

BCFCRob likes this.
  6. BCFCRob

Lovely year planned there, hope it all stays okay for you.

7. RedorDead

Cheers, hope everyone’s plans remain in place this year as well.

BCFCRob likes this.
  8. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

We are now back in Canada after our trip was cancelled 24 hours prior to sailing. Wasted trip to Singapore and now the claims for refunds begins but we have already had an e-mail from Costa Cruises on how to submit a claim for their part opof the cancellation - which at least is a positive. The security regarding Covid19 was extreme in Tokyo, Singapore and Tapei with thermal imaging software monitoring all incoming and outgoing passengers along with warnings that no passports from China, South Korea and Italy would be allowed to enter Singapore and therefore they would be boarded on our flight.

I was absolutely shocked to see that all Vancouver offered was a young lady handing out leaflets about Covid19 but had dire warnings about Vietnamese Swine Flu just in case you had a pig packed in your bags. SHAME!

Carry on and mind the gap. Thanks for your thoughts and please all stay safe.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  9. BCFCRob

That's surprising - honestly I fail to see how some of these insurance companies stay afloat after all of this. I know they're supposed to be built to survive the worst, that's literally the point of their existence, but then again so were the banks.

10. bcfcredandwhite

Mike - if you paid on Credit Card you should just claim from the card company - let them do all the rest.

11. Angelicnumber16

Princess Cruises have today cancelled all cruises scheduled for the next 2 months and effectively grounded all 18 of their ships.
    One of the 4 ships in the fleet that I'm due to sail with has 5 confirmed cases of Cov19 on board in the Caribbean and is curtailing it's current cruise, with it's next one also cancelled.
    So I fear it's only a matter of time before the axe falls on mine.
    Could be a blessing in disguise I guess, as having paid all that money I don't fancy being confined to a cabin for 3 weeks in the unlikely event it even goes ahead.

12. RedorDead

Staying “afloat” that’s a sore point with insurance companies mate <laugh><laugh>. I think they are pissed of with things floating away.

BCFCRob likes this.
  13. invermeremike

On our return from our hellish experience we found a minor water leak in our bathroom and phoned our plumber who set up a time. When we told him of our recent travels he called back to say they would not do the job for a further 2 weeks to protect his employees from possible exposure due to our recent destinations.

Just one of the many hurdles to be faced in some way or another by some of us and I ended the conversation by congratulating him on his precautions. I hope all people are aware of the risks and take the necessary steps to reduce the risk.

14. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

get a roll of self amalgamating tape even on joins T or t type it is perfect use about 4" off the roll at a time stretch it to about 6" + as you wrap it .. start on a piece of the pipe about 2" from any join to start it off overlap each turn by up to a half .. I have some on aerial fitting outside that has been there 10 years …..

15. invermeremike

Thank you mister plumber man.:1980_boogie_down:

16. bcfcredandwhite

Just arrived in Gib - to be told that from 8pm all pubs, bars and restaurants will be shut until further notice.
    Could be a long 4 days!!!

17. RedorDead

Their off licenses are so cheap it will pass for you in a blur

18. bcfcredandwhite

Yes - but it’s the social bit I like most.
    I suppose needs must, but still more than a tad disappointed!!

19. RedorDead

Some of my family went skiing in France arrived yesterday but all lifts down from today. They are now flying back early.

20. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

will they have to self isolate for 14 days coming from a lock down country?