1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The thrill of travelling with Covid 19.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Mar 8, 2020.

1. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Here we are in Singapore and where we go next is anybody's guess. The flight from Vancouver to Tokyo was less than 30% full and the second flight to Singapore was about the same, however we were upgraded to 1st class and got the full lay down bed to get some good shuteye to alleviate the jet lag.

It is clearly obvious that the population in Singapore are getting the message and we have generally found the popular attractions are virtually people free and line-ups are non existent. Surprisingly the use of face masks is rare and the hype surrounding this virus does not appear to have sent the population under ground or heading for the hills.

Our next big hurdle will be when we attempt to board the good ship Costa Fortuna headed for Savona. The ship has already been banned from landing in all Malaysian ports which proves to be a huge issue because that's where the ship is headed after leaving Singapore despite the fact that it cancelled 3 ports of call in Cambodia, Viet Nam and Thailand to meet the requirements of Malaysian authorities. That dictate was made last week but because the situation is changing by the day so we have no idea where we may go on the 31 day cruise back to Italy.

Remember those mystery coach trips that always ended up at a pub, well this is taking the mystery bit way beyond the pale. We have confirmed bookings in Genoa and Paris which are non-refundable and because our final cruise port is totally off-limits we have absolutely no idea how our around the world adventure will unfold. We live in a crazy world and this virus will at some time affect us all and the only good thing to come out of this could be that City get more points playing with no spectators. Just joking and my next post could be from anywhere along our supposed way. Sleep tight.:1980_boogie_down:

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  2. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I’m off to Gibraltar next Sunday. Really hope that the flights don’t get grounded.

3. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I'm overjoyed to report no flights will return from Gibraltar next Monday.

Only joking R&W.
    Saying that can't think of many better places to be stuck in.<cheers>.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  4. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

the peak s likely to be around mid april? listen/watch a lot of very late nite tv bed time is currently around 4. 40 -5am some interesting progs on the news channels … last night "the perils of stockpiling … clearing supermarket shelves etc" guilty here bought 6 extra bog rolls 1 packet spaghetti and bag of pasta and 2 pasta sauces …. more than usual on monthly shop!
    what made me laugh was the players / staff at end of the game … BANNED from shaking hands at start but at end hand shakes hugs almost kisses during the game !!!
    say it tranfers on the wind … well near 25,000 peeps breathing coughing in an almost enclosed stadium .. will certainly see if anyone had it Saturday …!

5. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

you and Mrs inver have a wonderful round the world cruise.Just think you could have booked it for half the price at present <laugh>
    Seriously have a wonderful time enjoy.

6. johngalleyfan2

Ive heard you get first class premier accommodation £1000 each on board spending vouchers 50000 NECTAR POINTS …. a 40 pack of bio masks … 25 litre 70% proof hand gel … 6 mansize double tissues [ if required ] and 2 bog rolls per day … and fare for 21 nights is £250 pp ….

Red Robin likes this.
  7. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I'm supposed to be going on a cruise from Newcastle upon Tyne at the end of March heading for Portugal, Spain and the Canaries.
    Have been waiting what seems like an eternity for this to come round so I hope it will still go ahead.

8. Angelicnumber16

Hope you manage to make light of whatever challenges you might have to face Mr & Mrs Mike

9. johngalleyfan2

My mate came back from Tenerife the day before the sand storms.. didn't they get some positive results just after? they say it can be wind borne …. maybe prevailing winds are going to be a problem? the flat plain below the alps, milan across to venice is a wx trap for wind and warm weather! and the concentration there is affecting 14 million people Italy is a target for immigrants from N Africa... Asia especially the north! Uncontrolled passage of people cant be good!

10. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I’m supposed to be off to Milan in April.

11. bcfcredandwhite

For me it’s Gib this Sunday, Hungary in April - plus Gib again (if my son gets through to the next round of his police selection stage), Bulgaria in May, then Spain (Malaga) and Gib again in the summer.
    Mrs R&W and I have also agreed that IF we finish decorating the bedroom, we might reward ourselves with a trip to see our German friends in December.
    I probably have NO chance of doing all that, but right now everything except the German trip has been booked.

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

All sounds fantastic, good luck to all of you guys, all things being well I will be going down to Cornwall to sort out my bolt hole for the year and god am I looking forward to it, I hope we all have a successful outcome, no airports for me just a long hall down the M5 and A30, then my own personal paradise.

13. bcfcredandwhite

Keep us updated Invermeremike

14. johngalleyfan2

a long haul!! a mere tea break of a drive lol ...…
    my next trip is 626 miles max speed 69 [ governor on engine ] will take me about 12 hours In my Ducato was W-S-M TO DESTINATION 1 stop 15 mins fuel in 9hours 50 mins … now the A9 has 160 mls of ave speed camera's Perth onward 104 miles is mostly 50 mph ….
    hope the wx stays nice

15. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

All the latest. 24hrs before departure our travel agent told us the cruise was cancelled but nothing direct from Costa Cruises. The ship is in Singapore under medical watch and when all passengers have been cleared to disembark it will head to Genoa empty.

Therefore our trip of a lifetime has gone out the window along without of cash. Currently we are sitting in Tapei waiting for the next leg of our trip home.

Thanks for all your wishes.

16. Angelicnumber16

I'm not aware of many (if any ?) cases confirmed in Spain or Portugal (or the Canaries come to that) so all we can do is hope for a continued clean bill of health along with the other 1,300 people who are due to board on 29/3.

But it the worst comes to the worst and it's cancelled, then as long as we get all of our money back then that's something I guess, and we can hopefully book another one in the future.

We probably wont get reimbursed for the return air fare between Bristol and Newcastle, or for the 3 nights we've booked in a Tynemouth hotel (2 nights before we sail and one when we come back) which is all due to flight schedules and days when there is no flight at all between the 2 cities.

It's a waiting and hoping game now.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  17. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Definitely in Tenerife

18. Angelicnumber16

I feel for you Mike :emoticon-0101-sadsm

19. Angelicnumber16

Bugger....………
    And thanks for letting me know

20. johngalleyfan2

if this was done separate then you could take the flight have the nights hire a car for a couple of days .nice coast and scenery that way .. the hotel could likely put your 3rd night on to the first 2 and airline move your flight to return ! earlier .. plans a foot by GOV to ensure peeps lose as little as possible ….