1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 'they come too close together' Mexican GP chat & prediction.

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Big Ern, Oct 25, 2017.

?

You know the drill

Poll closed Oct 29, 2017.
  1. Jolyon Palmer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bo Duke

4.8%
  3. Lewis Hamilton

28.6%
  4. Seb Vettel

42.9%
  5. Valtieri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Danny Ricciardo

9.5%
  7. Max Verstappen

14.3%
  8. Kimi Raikonnen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes, it’s more engine mapping tricks now. They programme every corner into the software so it delivers the “optimum” torque/power.

2. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

Awesome.

Now let's try to dethrone Bernie. :D

cosicave likes this.
  3. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

supposedly, but they have it, it's just not in the ECU like it used to be, it'll have another function so as to get around the wording of the rule traction control rule, either with the engine mapping as Smithers says, 'fuel consumption', or linked to the ERS 'harvesting energy', or some other way.
    In my experience pretty much everyone in motor-racing 'cheats'. Everyone knows what the rules are, and the spirit in which they're made, but everyone (not just Ferrari) tries their hardest to break them and stay within the law.

cosicave likes this.
  4. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Oh no Miggs, its definitely only Ferrari. :emoticon-0136-giggl

cosicave and Big Ern like this.
  5. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Haha, I'm amused at the conversation.
    <laugh>

As mentioned by BLS, traction control per se (i.e. under the definition of its meaning) is indeed banned. Completely. In the purest sense, it does not occur. Furthermore, all teams are supplied with identical PCUs, in part to pro-actively ensure that it CANNOT occur.

However, F1 is – and always has been – at the absolute zenith of four-wheeled vehicle innovation. And knowledge can not be unlearned. There are very clever people being paid serious bucks in this business. Some of them are being paid what others quite rightly see as fortunes, small and not so small. These people are innovators; they are hand-picked from the cream of the crop before they even get a chance at F1. And some of them are even considered 'geniuses'…

The fact is though, that the banning of TC and associated technologies such as 'launch-control' has imposed a substantial increase in responsibility upon drivers, just as desired.

Nevertheless, F1 will always have the likes of Colin Chapman and Adrian Newey – and and a whole host of others wanting not only to emulate but to beat them at their own game! That's what F1 is about.

- - -o0o- - -
    Back to the amusement, I'd like to throw in another heterodox tongue-in-cheek… Please indulge my (probably unnecessary) analogy:
    It is commonly accepted that the observable universe is expanding in all directions, and that the further away one looks, the faster is the rate of this expansion. It is exponential. Yet on the small scale, we see do not see expansion but contraction, with objects bound together to form huge islands of galaxies in mutual 'localised' gravitational attraction. "Huge islands of galaxies" (not just galaxies but loads of them connected together at virtually unimaginable distances) is still small scale when considered as part of a FAR larger whole.

On the large scale then, the banning of technology(s) within F1 tends to coincide with Ferrari being less capable of it/them, and a corresponding (coincidental, one must ask!? ;-) ) tendency to implode at or around the same time…

;)

6. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

<frantically searches google for meaning of unfamiliar large word..............>

heterodox
    ˈhɛt(ə)rə(ʊ)dɒks/
    adjective
    adjective: heterodox
    1. not conforming with accepted or orthodox standards or beliefs.
      "heterodox views"
      synonyms: unorthodox, heretical, dissenting, dissident, blasphemous, nonconformist, apostate, freethinking, iconoclastic, schismatic, rebellious, renegade, separatist, sectarian, revisionist

DHCanary likes this.
  7. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Any idea when we will hear about the new Engine regs ?

8. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Some time around dawn of the Australian GP the year they come in. Assuming they stop bickering.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  9. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Ive posted it in the spare thread.

10. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Thanks , after I posted I thought I was in the wrong place <doh>

11. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

<laugh>
    Large? It's only nine letters!
    – Yes, 'heretical' might have sufficed. But it seemed lacking; not quite the most apt conjugation when contrasted with orthodoxy; yet stronger and far less cumbersome than 'unorthodoxy'. Enough…

;)
    More importantly, I hope the post was understood in the context of Ferrari's difficulty in being truly expansive despite a persisting 'advantage', and why Ferrari rules (sic).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    allsaintchris. likes this.