1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 'they come too close together' Mexican GP chat & prediction.

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Big Ern, Oct 25, 2017.

?

You know the drill

Poll closed Oct 29, 2017.
  1. Jolyon Palmer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bo Duke

4.8%
  3. Lewis Hamilton

28.6%
  4. Seb Vettel

42.9%
  5. Valtieri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Danny Ricciardo

9.5%
  7. Max Verstappen

14.3%
  8. Kimi Raikonnen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

When you've gotta go....

dhel likes this.
  2. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Two of those four are his fault though. With his experience he simply has to keep his head better. It's not acceptable how often he's damaged his car.

3. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well fault, wrong and approaching things differently are a matter of opinion. There is also always another certain driver involved in the incidents. One who is emulating a certain driver who instigated all these bloody ambiguous rules.

I take your point though and agree on keeping his cool (Baku an obvious example and undefendable) but the two reliability issues alone would have this close. However that’s motorsport.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  4. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So, handing back that position to Bottas in Hungary didn't come back to bite Lewis. What a different state of affairs for the Championship now compared to July.

5. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Thank God aswell! Ironically of all the team orders, that was the one I couldn’t get my head around?

6. Smithers

Forum Moderator

The difference in this battle was they both knew where the limit was. This is how ALL the racing should be.

dhel, DHCanary, Big Ern and 1 other person like this.
  7. SgtBhaji

Couldn't understand the giving the position back part? I think it would have been a big PR nightmare so I can understand why he honoured the deal. Plus it would have really put Bottas off-side, so I get it from that point of view. From a championship point of view, it was risky.

dhel likes this.
  8. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

yep, I can't blame him for Singapore, everyone does what he did, Malaysia & Japan there was nothing he could do about that. That he was even in the fight, considering the car advantage Mercedes have had, is an achievement in itself. tbh he had no right leading the championship at all, let alone nearly half a season.
    Still, roll on next year, could be 4 teams in with a title chance.

Hamilton v Vettel v Verstappen v Ricciardo v Alonso. bound to have some front end action if those 5 are close enough together pace wise.

Smithers likes this.
  9. SgtBhaji

Are we going to have to make lost posters for Manny? Feels like we're missing a member of this dysfunctional Not606 F1 family.

El_Bando and DHCanary like this.
  10. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't know, Ferrari had a pretty handy car until Monza. They just crumbled when things got serious.

11. SgtBhaji

Swing and roundabouts for a lot of the season, hence why we never really got an on track championship fight.

12. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

It was a good car, but not on the same level as the Merc IMO, Ferrari and Vettel were just making the right calls at the right time and got lucky. Good example is Bahrain, That shuld've been a nailed on Merc win all day long, but they ****ed up Bottas' tyres before the race and then Hamilton got stuck behind him for the first part of the race and then he got double stacked at the SC. Aus they close, but again it was pit strategy that won the race. There have been few races in which the Ferrari has been the best car, and they only won 2 of those (Monaco & Hungary). The safety-car restart in Spa showed the deficit, it just runs out of legs, the merc weakness is running in dirty air, but getting in front of the fastest car so you can give it dirty air is no mean feat.

13. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

This was the main game changer for me. That and the delay of the upgrade that allowed them to have a bit extra horsepower on spa and monza

14. moreinjuredthanowen

I felt it was still wide open. Ferrari messed up quali at monza but the unreliability ****ed it up and frankly vettel ****ed it at singapore which he should have won handy.

Hamilton has been brilliant in quali compared to his team mate and has had the car to dominate quali.in the race he has been consistent but untroubled so he has done what he needed to do and all he actually could do.

15. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Verstappens racing line in mexico:
    VERST_rL.JPG

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Big Ern and SgtBhaji like this.
  16. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

Raikonnen finished 54 seconds behind Verstappen and 34 seconds behind Bottas. If there were no incidents at the first corner Ferrari never had the pace anyway to challenge Red Bull or Mercedes so Lewis would probably have finished second regardless and won the title that way

17. SgtBhaji

Erm.... it's Kimi....

18. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

yeah Its Kimi, hes driving a Sauber painted red

DHCanary likes this.
  19. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Hamilton had some reliability issues earlier in the year that put him down the grid, so both have had their issues.

The Ferrari was at least the equal of the Mercedes in the early part of the year, they definitely fell behind in the development race as the season continued and seemed to panic into making changes that cost them reliability after the summer break.

Vettel has made some questionable driving judgements as well, but has been happy to moan at everyone else.............

There have been some on track battles and genuine interest in quite a few of the races. The misty-eyed thought that drivers will battle it out for the lead lap after lap is something that will never happen. Has rarely happened in the past and whilst some get all moist about the past, it wasn't ever that great!

Ferrari and Vettel basically offered the title to Hamilton after the summer break, and he took it. Remember, after Monaco Vettel had a 25 point lead over Hamilton, after round 9 at Austria it was still 20 points. Ferrari were in the ascendency, but couldn't hang on.

Smithers and El_Bando like this.
  20. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

I have been gripped this season, not like the previous 5 seasons