1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Swansea Way

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by 55282, Nov 19, 2018.

1. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

2. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

3. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

All very nice but we should be filling our boarded up shops first and taking a broom or two to clean up the outskirts of the town to make it more welcoming. It is filthy and in some parts a no go area especially at night......To just concentrate on making Swansea pretty and moving the town more towards SA1 and ignoring the rest is not good business and doomed to a white elephant and a huge waste of our money.....Clean up what we have got first and stop this continuation of digging up our roads constantly all year around.......A needed building here and there is ok as that is progress but to build all these fancy buildings and architecture and walkways through gardens looks nice on the video will soon be targeted by druggies and alcoholics that it will end up a no go area in time anyway......Clean up what we have got and spend money on the suburbs and outskirts first......We are an ugly city dont try and make it pretty as we will be wasting our time and money.....

Stumpy and PGFWhite like this.
  4. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

As long as the population of Swansesa and the surrounding areas support cardiffs shops then we'll always struggle to support our own, a catch 22 , no shoppers discourages new tenants plus the growth of out of town shopping such as the Morfa, Forrestfach and on line shopping is killing the high street. Regrading the filth who do you blame, me the dirty feckers for dropping the litter in the first place although more street cleaning should be carried out .I'm not sure what no go areas you're referring to ,Swansea has held the purple flag in recognition to having a safe environment to go out in at night for the past 3 years ,I suppose if you want trouble you'll find it as in other cities .People who tend to denigrate the town don't normally visit or have had one bad experience .I like the way that at long last the council are trying to improve the centre but my main gripe with them is when anything new is built it's then forgotten about to deteriorate then it need x more money to bring it back to a decent standard , preventative maintenance is usually cheaper than a refurbishment

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  5. When Swans are flying

When Swans are flying Well-Known Member

I prefer the positive outlook in the post before. I for one are glad that at long last they might be on the verge of regenerating our ugly/lovely city..

It’s been so overdue for decades, we might eventually have a city centre to be proud of, a gate way to go along with our amazing position next to the stunning Swansea Bay, the Mumbles & not forgetting beautiful Gower..

As long as you got low-life’s who think it’s always someone else’s job to pick up their ****, you’ll always have litter...

6. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

7. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

8. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

9. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I live in Port Talbot, but 95% of my work is Cardiff based. I'm lucky if I do 2 jobs per year in Swansea. Swansea is so far behind in terms of being a city - it's still really a town. There's not much in Swansea to attract people here. Cardiff has all the hotels, shopping, restaurants etc where people spend a lot of money. It's all very well saying how beautiful the Gower and bay is, but not much money is spent on a walk along the coast. Why would anybody come to Swansea to shop from anywhere towards the east when Cardiff has much more to offer ?
    The city centre really is dive - it's crying out to be modernised, and whilst its nice to have sole traders etc the fact is that chains seem to be the order of the day. I was in Swansea market a few months ago and a stall was selling Pomelo (a kind of grapefruit), I remarked to my wife that it was twice the cost that LIDL were selling it - the trader overheard me and said "Well I'm not LIDL am I ?". Well I'm sorry, but we all have budgets, and if I can get something half the price, I'm not going to be short in my pocket so some sole trader can make his profit. if your business is not competitive then there's only one outcome.
    With retail parks like Morfa etc, places are all becoming very similar to visit, but even Merthyr and Llanelli have bigger retail parks than Swansea. Trago opened up in Merthyr last year - and apparently is doing very well - that would have been a big bonus for Swansea to have had that.
    Until the city is modernised and has more to offer, people will never come back. They'll visit just the once and stay away. You have to admit you'd never say to you wife "Let's go to Swansea for the weekend".

10. swanseaandproud

As long as we have a welsh assembly then it will plough money into Cardiff as it's the flagship of Wales......There is nothing wrong with that, Swansea do get their share of money but they never seem to use it right in a lot of cases........Most town and cities tend to have their railway stations and Bus stations almost together, When anyone steps outside our railway station they enter a shanty town full of boarded up buildings and very scruffy and dirty.....Our best asset is Swansea Market and the Quadrant and the Gower Coast.......The councils over the decades have ruined a city that once had everything going for it.....I will shop anywhere and not just Cardiff and Swansea, I go to Brum,Bath and Bristol to do a fair bit of shopping....

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Stumpy likes this.

11. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

12. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

I have a great deal of sympathy with this post.
    Swansea IS a dump, and no mistake, and having Gower on the doorstep doesn't change that. I only visit the place nowadays because my Bank is located there, although I limit visits to a few times a year.
    Swansea Market is a rip off environment.
    I was charged £15.00 for replacing a battery in a cheap watch. The watch cost £20.00.
    Everything on offer there is top price. Markets used to offer value for money.
    Cardiff wipes the floor with Swansea.
    I've lived and worked in both so am speaking from experience.
    I actually prefer Newport to Swansea.

13. swanseaandproud

I personally would not say Swansea is a dump, But would say it lacks resources afforded to Cardiff and the resources the Swansea council does have is not always spent wisely and not enough.......I find Swansea market the best market anywhere in the UK and how someone charged you £15 for a watch battery lib then all i can say is they saw you coming as i bought a £2,000 watch a decade ago and i have never spent more than £5 for a battery.......I and the mrs love to go out of Swansea to go shopping for a day out more than anything but when it comes to spuds and veg, Fresh flowers and fresh sea food then there is nowhere better than Swansea Market to do your shopping.......What lets Swansea down are the Boarded up shops and litter and chewing gum on the floors, Swansea is much cheaper to have lunch than Cardiff or anywhere in England we visit......If the council were to change castle square back to castle gardens . Put the slip bridge back and spend some time on smarting up Some neglective areas then Swansea will have everything we need.......Me and the wife would still visit other towns an cities because that is what we like to do.....

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  14. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Good post Dai, its all too easy for people to criticise but I've yet to visit any city in this or any other country which doesn't have it's problems including the utopian states such as Barcelona, Madrid, Malaga ,London Birmingham, Coventry New York and dare I say it even Cardiff. Regarding being "over charged" has anyone any idea of the cost of business rates here or any where else you care to mention , and the market trader was right he isn't Lidls he's probably an independent trader who cannot buy in huge volumes without having a guarantee of a large footfall of customers , a warehouse to store it in and a cushion of losing unsold stock .due to wastage .Anyone who blindly asks for a service be it a watch battery replacement or eating a 3 course meal without knowing the cost deserves little sympathy ,there is freedom of choice and there's lots of it in Swansea .
    I know where I'd rather call home and it just happens to be here in Swansea , by the way a battery for a watch costs £xx regardless if its for a £20 or a £1000<laugh>

daimungeezer and swanseaandproud like this.
  15. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

16. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

My watch cost me bugger all for a battery, it’s automatic. I do have to change the time once a week as it winds the watch with my wrist movement (and I know what your thinking :) )

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  17. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

The common theme in that article is was , they've all gone to have been replaced in the main with more aesthetically pleasing or landscaped .Swansea and the rest of Wales hasn't had the money pumped into it as Cardiff has , for example who paid for their Bay and still contributes to its annual maintenance costs, us the Welsh taxpayer . A decent read if anyone wants to take the time to digest what actually happened and continues to happen in our country
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4K4SZ2l1_qISS1DWDdPdEVFTFE/edit

swanseaandproud likes this.
  18. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

yes you don't appear to have arthritis <laugh>

19. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

We will have to beg to differ re my use of the word dump, but large swathes of the City confirm this to be so, in my opinion.
    Re my watch battery. I foolishly handed the watch over never thinking the stall holder was a crook. I assumed he would charge me a couple of quid for what was a few seconds work and a ten pence battery. He initially asked for £ 17.50, but rather sheepishly reduced the charge to £ 15.00 when he noted my reaction. As he was still holding the watch, I was in no position to argue with him. My fault for not establishing his charge before giving him the order. I'm usually on the button with such things, but nobody died.
    The rest of Swansea Market will pay the price, as I have no intention of dealing with any of the traders there in the future.

The planners have ruined Swansea down the years. Having lived in Cardiff, I can compare the two Cities, and there really is no comparison. <ok>

20. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

I understand Don’s Jewellery Service is considering pulling the shutters down for good knowing you won't be returning <wah> what a sad person you are