1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Summer/Pre-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by old timer, May 1, 2017.

1. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

I believe that some of the football played by the Rovers in the first half was as good as I have ever seen played by a Rovers team. The GK played well and looked really safe and competent Harrison the marmite man put in a good shift and it was a fine line between Broadbent and Partington for MOM of the first half. We took a while to settle after the substitutions but Nicholls took his goal well and Bola looked good going forward. I didn't think there was a bad performance today and I think the future looks bright the future looks Blue and White.
    Also heard a rumour the there would be a new signing announced on Monday and the comment was one we would all like, only Monday will tell if that is true
    Squad numbers announced neither GK has been allocated a number this is on Rovers news

Quilllogic and Gasheadseamge79 like this.
  2. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

3. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

4. old timer

I think DC said he was looking for another striker heard a rumour on Saturday that Matty Taylor has fallen out with his manager maybe they will give him back in a cut price deal to cut their losses

5. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Charlton beat Ipswich 6-1 in a recent friendly...

6. old timer

We will find out how good our defence is on Saturday didn't they put 9 passed us in the 2 games last season and when we played them at the Mem they wern't apparently playing that well

7. Gastronomic

If we could just keep a clean sheet against them that would be great.

old timer likes this.
  8. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

No thanks he can fook off <laugh>

9. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

10. old timer

Kelly and Broadbent seem to be of the same mind, Rovers have given them a chance of a football career and they have grabbed hold with both hands. They had a trialist called Kelly in the Bournemouth match and he looked very useful, if it's the same player he could be a good signing

11. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

12. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Rovers today made a double transfer swoop, bringing in one of last season’s loanees, Ryan Sweeney, along with his Stoke City colleague Dominic Telford both on season long loans.

Ryan will need no introduction to Rovers supporters, who have been hoping he would return for another stint in the blue and white quarters.
    The central defender appeared in 16 league games for The Gas after joining us on loan in January and his performances were recognised by President’s Club members who voted him as their Young Player of the Year.
    Speaking at the club’s training ground this morning Ryan said; “I am really pleased to be coming back to Bristol Rovers as really enjoyed my time at the club last season.
    “I know that there were other clubs interested in taking me on loan but once I knew that Rovers were interested there was only one club I wanted to join.”
    His Stoke City team mate, 20 year old striker Dominic Telford, began his career as a scholar with Blackpool in 2013 and made his first team debut for the club on 9th August 2014 and scored his first senior goal in December of that year.
    Dominic along, with his Blackpool team mate Mark Waddington, joined Stoke City in July 2015 and joining Rovers will be the first time he has been out on loan.
    He said of his move; “I am delighted to be joining Rovers for the season. Ryan has told me all about the club and everything he said was positive.
    “I have been playing U-23 football for Stoke but I am now looking forward to playing in League One with Rovers and can’t wait to get started.”
    Manager Darrell Clarke was pleased to have got these two signings over the line ahead of tomorrow’s opening fixture against Charlton Athletic at The Valley and both players will travel with the rest of the squad to London later today.
    “I am delighted that Ryan and Dominic have agreed to join us for the season. Ryan has been one of my main targets over the summer and although we have had to wait to get him here, our patience has paid off.
    We all know what a talented footballer he is from the time he spent with us last season and he arrives with his Stoke City colleague Dominic Telford, a really exciting prospect who will provide competition for our strikers.
    “I am looking forward to working with both of them as the season progresses and would like to thank Mark Cartwright and Mark Hughes at Stoke for allowing Ryan and Dominic to join us.”

13. Gastronomic

Great news. We should be strong at the back this season. Looks like a really good, competitive squad.

14. old timer

According to Bristol rovers Twitter feed we made a bid for Fleetwood's Devante Cole on 27th August

Bluebaldee likes this.
  15. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

I doubt Devante's dad will be happy with that!

16. old timer

Peter Hartley has joined Motherwell from Blackpool on loan for the season

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

The Blackpool move didnt work out then!

Matt Harrold (who didnt want to drop to non league to help us when we went down) has decided to leave league football and join non league Leyton Orient!

Bluebaldee likes this.