1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Sky is the Limit

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by SuperYid81, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Durhammackem

Durhammackem Member

Just want to keep on smiling, Haven't felt this good since we beat Mags 2-1 at their place - twice. Anywhere in the top 10 will do for me. Higher is possible but a massive bonus. There's also the Cup...

2. SAFC_ScattyMOO

After 24 games we have had: 23, 27, 25, 34 and now 33.

We have ended up with: 39, 36, 44 and 47 points. What will we achieve this season?

Incase your wondering I keep a spreadsheet (saddo I know!!!)

3. MackemsRule

MackemsRule Well-Known Member

This, this and this. <ok>

4. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

5. MackemsRule

6. SAFC_ScattyMOO

My computer says.........

25 games and 37 points

7. blackcatsteve

scrap that you said 34 DOH!!

but the official site says 37 after 24 so someone is wrong.

8. SAFC_ScattyMOO

Don't you know women are never wrong :shocked:

9. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

If we carry on performing well this season I think ES will give MON money in the summer as it will be the best chance of European football we have probably ever had.

Its a shame really because with Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal under performing this season would have been a great chance but I just don't think there are enough winnable games left for us.

10. blackcatsteve

11. Wherewereyou

Wherewereyou Guest

I think Scatty should check her spreadsheet, cos I think you could be right!

12. talcnturnip

talcnturnip Well-Known Member

Women are always wrong Scatty, it's just the blokes fault though.

13. MackemsRule

PS.

And no Scatty your bum doesn't look big in that!

:p :p :p

14. Letalent

Letalent Member

Our form has been quite incredible in comparison with what went before. I think, however, we are just too far behind to make up the 10 points needed to come 4th. Sadly, for Sunderland fans, I think we have to admit that Newcastle are in with a realistic shout. For us, I'd like to think we will finish at least 10th, even 8th, and if we can keep a run going in the league, I could see us catching Liverpool, and hopefully, Newcastle, but I think Chelsea and Arsenal may have too much left in the tank. Don't really care so much about the League now though, with 33 and 14 left to play, we know we will be stopping up. Priority has to be the FA Cup. If we could make Europe through that this season, it would be an incredible achievement. European football next year, big stadium, great facilities, the mighty Martin as manager, would make us attractive to potential recruits who may have ignored us before. Assuming we sell Gyan and Riveros, and with more cash recouped from the Bent and Henderson deals, I think we may have a pretty transfer kitty this summer that would allow us to sign the 2 or 3 quality additions that would really make a difference and allow us to make a proper challenge for the top 6, maybe even Champions League places. I have a sneaking suspicion that the current top 8 will be too good for the rest of the league this season and maybe for the next 2/3 years as well. Villa have a fractured squad and a dour manager, Everton just don't have the funds, Stoke have been found out somewhat and I can see a tier system opening up with 8 teams in with a realistic chance of qualifying for Europe through league football. These 8 teams are the teams that will be showing +GD. Sunderland and Newcastle maybe the surprise packages in that top tier, but they have big support, a tradition, and my instincts tell me in this FFP era, they will be getting amongst it on a consistent basis. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a gap around 10 points between 8th and 9th at the end of this season.

15. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

Interesting post, I had not thought about making it a top 8 rather than a top 6. If Sunderland and Newcastle could get among the current top 6 you know the papers and sky would be calling it a top 8 to keep their beloved Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc... in the media spot light. Would be great for North East football.