1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The SIR Kenny Dalglish Public House

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Sir_Red, Jan 28, 2011.

1. moreinjuredthanowen

Mate. It aint yankland.

Think about it. You just wrote 1800 square feet.

All the very best finding a yank sized house like that over here.

And yeah your houses dont last but the cost it's in the bricks and mortar really it's in the land, taxes and all that.

Seriously though a 3 bed semi detached is 1000 to 1200 in nice places and a 4 or 5 bed detached for high earners.might ranges from 1400 to 1500 up to 1800.

Forget the half acre unless it's out in the edge of villages etc.

2400 is pretty.much massive here.

You've the advantage of basically half the countryside where you are is still under trees and it's all wood frame etc.

Here you'll be lucky get the land for 100k at times.

Places like Glasgow will sell big houses for a million never in london etc.

2. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Average..........2 or 3 bedroom with a smallish garden...sqft no idea, I don't operate in those circles

3. Garlic Klopp

Garlic Klopp Well-Known Member

My last house had three quarter of an acre garden, bastard to mow the lawn it was about a 2 hr job. Kids loved it though when they were young. House was a converted barn about 5,000 sq feet, but a bit isolated. When we moved to a modernish 4 bed in Shrewsbury the cost of the new place was about what we got for the old one as houses are a lot more expensive in Shrewsbury compared to the wilds of Shropshire.

4. moreinjuredthanowen

Yeah but you are our amazingly successful example. A barn conversion would be a might old pile no question.

5. moreinjuredthanowen

Flats are 600 square feet min or something by law. Someone will know the actual number.

Average 2 or 3 bed house is 900 to 1200 square feet.

Theres a lot of folk packed on this island

6. Garlic Klopp

I would hate to have it now. It cost a fortune to heat due to the large rooms and high ceilings. It had oil fired central heating, if you were to convert a barn now you would go for ground source heating, or bloody freeze due to the cost of oil.

7. Garlic Klopp

When I was sent on a management course in the late 90's to Atlanta we were all amazed at what you could get in USA for about £150k, which was a decent 3 or 4 bed house north of Watford at the time over hear. Most of the houses around Atlanta had very little brick in them, mainly timber.

8. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

I'm not on your island though, I have my own :emoticon-0137-clapp

moreinjuredthanowen and Milky like this.
  9. Milky

Milky bar kid

£150k won't get you anything these days in Atlanta. (at least in the nicer parts of Atlanta where my in-laws live). Atlanta is crazy expensive now... Well, I say crazy expensive, it's probably comparable to Britain... Average house is probably going to be about $500k, granted, it's probably also going to be closer to 3000sqft.. so you'll get more house... Just a cheaply built house, sticks and plastic-vinyl siding on the outside.

I'm always amazed at how huge (and expensive) all the houses are in Atlanta. Whenever I go there I can't help but wonder where all the normal people live.

When you do see bricks in the US it's usually just a facade, frequently not even full width bricks.

The house I'm currently in, until the new home is built is brick, proper width bricks too... But just one brick deep, it's not to provide structure, just siding, they built the house out of wood then put bricks around the outside. It's all wood framed and the inside is a cardboard y drywall that is maybe a cm think.

The newer homes they put up near me I noticed were ust skinny bricks already preformed that they stuck to the wood in sheets.

10. moreinjuredthanowen

Thing is you then use bags of energy heating and cooling so it's not like you have energy efficientcy

11. Milky

Milky bar kid

There is extra insulation put in the wall cavities, but yes, no doubt it's much less energy efficient than in the UK... But it's not really heating which is the worry. My electricity bill is much higher in the summer than the winter. Costs more to cool the house in summer than it does to heat the house in winter.

12. Milky

Milky bar kid

Incidentally, pretty hard to find a builder who will build in a technique other than wood framed houses here...I tried. The coastal regions have some builders that do ICF construction. But couldnt get one to come inland to build my house.

ICF is pretty neat, not sure if they do it in UK. Essentially it's these large hollow foam Lego blocks (reinfoced with rebar) you stack to build a house, and then a concrete truck comes and fills in the walls between the foam with concrete...

Fire resistant. Termite resistant. Very insulated. Sound proof. Etc... Sounds perfect... Hardly costs any more than wood... But the only builders are on the coast where they use it for hurricane proof houses.

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  13. saintKlopp

It's the US - there aren't any.

Milky likes this.
  14. moreinjuredthanowen

15. Milky

Milky bar kid

My reaction after living in US so long...
    "That average price doesn't seem too much higher than the US, that's not that bad"
    Then seeing the house size...
    "Holy cow! That seems positively tiny!"

We have a family of 5 (plus two big dogs that take up as much room as a person)... Our current house is "only" 1600sqft and we feel really cramped, which is the main reason we're moving.

Houses definitely much larger over here. My 1600sqft is considered a moderately small house. Definitely swap size for quality across the Atlantic. The new house is 2700sqft, which is larger than average but not huge... Plenty of homes here over 3000sqft.

Houses are hastily constructed wooden boxes over here, but they are certainly larger. No way they would pass inspection or meet code in the UK... They're all built using as few materials, as quickly and cheaply as they can be.

saintKlopp likes this.
  16. moreinjuredthanowen

17. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

18. moreinjuredthanowen

have you guys seen boris telling us to grow up on climate as he got himself a haircut so is now a serious person?

or boris saying he always said a deal with USA was difficult even though he's on camera saying a fantastic deal would be done and standing with trump as well boasting about it.

19. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

Funny but people use this sort of thing to beat the anti brexit drum.

But its exactly what they wanted. They wanted a labour vacuum so that labour was in demand, the power switchs from the employer to the employee.

The employee is no longer just a number that can be treated like **** and discarded when ever. They now must be treated with a modicum of decency or they can **** off and find another job easily.

I understand to the middle class sat in their nice cozy haze not being able to get their preferred coffee in the morning is a set back, but for the unemployed and lower scale workers this is a blessing.

Zanjinho and BobbyD like this.
  20. moreinjuredthanowen

I literally heard people on tv, apprentices and that saying more jobs for our own (hull) for example.

Now theres lots of jobs and the big chains are actually approaching drivers making deliveries to steal them.

you are right that for now the poorer off have their pick but the rich will still have their way.