1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The SIR Kenny Dalglish Public House

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Sir_Red, Jan 28, 2011.

1. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

maybe list out key points of the manifesto with only an option a b c d e so you can’t see who you’re actually voting for. Let people vote for things listed rather than a particular party.

2. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

As much as I agree (with the notion of voting for a smile or something similarly tedious) this is dangerous territory. People would be put off voting with this approach and powers that be would probably try to use it to their advantage too.

I think we just need to change the mentality of "people fought so you can vote" meaning you absolutely must vote. They fought for the right to vote if you wish.

3. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

It would be vast change from picking someone you liked to look of.

Or from what happened recently of disliking one person less than the other.

4. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

There will also be thousands that get multiple votes because a relative isn't interested. Made very easy via postal vote.

5. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

I'm unsure, I feel most people are completely disenfranchised with the whole affair.

They may vote, or they may not but they don't actually think anything will change either way.

Unfortunately the status quo suit the two biggest parties down to the ground so I can't see any shift soon.

6. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

With existing politicians, they'd probably make it so you can only vote if you subscribe / pay for annual membership or something

7. RogerisontheHunt

RogerisontheHunt Well-Known Member

Ironic that a Govt made up of MPs that campaigned and then went through with Brexit, a referendum to leave, are going to block any attempt at a Scottish Referendum to leave

'Freedom for the public to choose their own path... but only if it suits our own personal interests'

Tobes and saintKlopp like this.
  8. moreinjuredthanowen

It will inevitably go to court.

I am not sure the SNP really want to go too soon anyway.

I think they will want to get into their devolved take credit for pandemic recovery government then probably push for this once they know theres a clear run through the vote in Scotland and let boris have nothing to use as an excuse.

Its may. Tou really want to know that come september theres not going to be another covid shock and it's impossible to predict now.

People dont seem to realise what's likely to come in the autumn with boosters and restrictions. Most folk are full on nothing ever happened and cannot wait mode.

The SNP need to be sure boris has nothing to use as a distraction

9. moreinjuredthanowen

10. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

They were literally dragged out of the EU as a nation against ‘the will of their people’

Given that this does not only constitutes a key change to their existence driven solely by Westminster, but that their continued EU membership also was used as a key reason as to why they should vote No in the last indyref, then they have every right to demand another vote, and they’ll get it imo, whether that comes via the Scottish Parliament or the courts.

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.

11. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

since they need the consent of the UK parliament i wouldn't be so sure .

12. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

If the Scottish people voted to leave the U.K. in an advisory referendum then I don’t see how Westminster can refuse tbh.

13. moreinjuredthanowen

I would agree, I just think they need to play the cards right to avoid a boris flag waving exercise to distract from something else. I think sturgeon sees covid as something to get done first before attmepting.

do you think they would try on the catalan route? I can't see it. They will vote to hold one and then dare boris to refuse then resort to courts.

The thing is far too finally balanced to see even a few votes evaporated for what would be an illegal referendum that could be muddied.

The SNP need a fair wind behind and a clear run at selling the thing. anything that can tip even a few votes will be an issue?

14. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

There’s now a clear majority in the Scottish Parliament for the parties backing independence. They could call an advisory referendum in Scotland legally, and without consent. It’d then be up to the same party who told the entire Nation that an advisory referendum was 100% binding due to ‘the will of the people’ to refuse to honour its conclusion if the Yes vote won. Oh the ****ing irony.

15. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

It's very, very sad. I hope the family and friends he's left behind get the help that they need to get through this.

16. Solid_Air 2

they just say no you had one only a few years ago so tough .

17. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Like that’s going to wash if they’ve collectively voted to leave.

18. Solid_Air 2

well the actual number of votes is about 50/50 but so what if they have to leave after all how many goes do they want .
    Quite why they are so keen is beyond me as the UK Govt is subsidising their (over)spend and it feels like Brexit again where absurd claims are made in clear daylight but somehow are accepted as plausible .
    I should point out just as with Brexit i think that this sort of referendum should have a minimum pass rate say at least 55/45 as onve done they are almost irreversible .

THE FOOL and saintKlopp like this.
  19. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I think they have the right to decide their own future tbh. Brexit should give them the opportunity to revisit that vote, as EU membership was a key part of the No argument.

Whether they’ll end up better or worse off is a matter of debate, but England has no right dictating to them on that point based on the ridiculous act of self harm that is Brexit.

I’d have agreed about a super majority pre the Brexit vote, I’d have also argued that the majority of the Nations should have had to back it, but that boat has sailed.

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  20. Solid_Air 2

all that was pointed out that if they left the UK they also would leave the EU . :emoticon-0112-wonde