1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The SIR Kenny Dalglish Public House

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Sir_Red, Jan 28, 2011.

1. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

The amount of information and misinformation out there make it hard to discern what real.

At this moment if a wide spread attack of itchy arse could mean you've got covid was reported half the population would be panicking half would grow there middle finger nail longer

2. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

yeah it got accepted as a symptom after the Kings College app ( been very successful & useful ) results kept bringing it up .

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/loss-of-smell-and-taste-a-key-symptom-for-covid-19-cases

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  3. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Why the **** are we recieving regular updates on the US Presidents state of health? <grr>

#51ststate

4. RogerisontheHunt

RogerisontheHunt Well-Known Member

They think he's going to die.

Despite Trumps claims, he really isn't the healthiest person going, plus he's 74.

5. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

So Sainsbury's have established 'safe spaces' in their stores for their BAME colleagues. What is the world coming to? How is segregation a step forward? Quite frankly, I'd rather be updated on Trump's current state of health than have these ridiculous American imported BLM type 'initiatives'.

THE FOOL likes this.
  6. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

A story that’s been twisted and spun by the usual right wing blowhards though. The ‘safe spaces’ are merely online forums.

THE FOOL likes this.
  7. johnsonsbaby

It's not just the relaunch of their BAME only forum, it's actual spaces 'to gather '. Racial division of any kind is wrong and promoting it is surely illegal. This goes beyond politics.

THE FOOL likes this.
  8. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

It really isn’t, you’ve swallowed the guff spun by bigots I’m afraid.

organic red likes this.
  9. johnsonsbaby

That's damage limitation by Sainsbury's following the backlash. Announcing the relaunch of a black only forum then a separate paragraph in the same announcement claiming to have made safe spaces (why in the plural, why not 'a safe space '?) for BAME individuals "to gather" seems quite obviously two separate things to me and everyone else who had something to say about it. All those who supported the idea of these safe spaces thought they were physical spaces too. A late night tweet put out by them is too little too late. If you want to show you are an "inclusive" employer, you don't divide your staff along racial lines. They've shot themselves in the foot on this one.

Bumps and THE FOOL like this.
  10. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Unless you can point out an actual employee confirming that these ‘spaces’ were indeed physical in their stores, then it’s simply nothing more than a misinterpretation of their words by the usual right wing mings that have called for boycotts of literally every brand who’ve supported the BLM cause, from Ice cream to tea to the National Trust.

The same ‘non racists’ who bombarded Ofcom because of a dance troupe and cried their eyes out after the singing of a song they don’t know the words to was ‘banned’ in a performance with no actual audience.

11. johnsonsbaby

Why are you making it political? I don't support the right or the left, Labour or Conservative. I'm wise enough and smart enough to recognise racism when I see it. You don't address people or categorise people or divide people along racial lines. It needs calling out every time it raises its ugly head.

Sainsbury's put out a deliberately misleading announcement to make people think the two were separate and that they had created a forum and physical space and guess what, everyone without exception, from what I've read, both those supporting the idea of safe space and those against, thought they were a physical space. Online support forums are good, segregated group support by skin colour, not so much. It's a massive virtue signalling fail by Sainsbury's. I'm not interested in any political angle on this. I don't have one and I don't see one.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    THE FOOL likes this.
  12. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

The minute a brand comes out and mentions their support for the idea of improving equality, they’re being jumped on by the exact same people, who shockingly are literally all right wing commentators, mostly on the payroll of the right wing media or the murkily funded ‘lobby groups’ of 55 Tufton St. They also use that utterly rancid ‘virtue signalling’ term, which is a meaningless construct of the alt right.

For example, you can’t care about the plight of asylum seekers unless you have one living in your spare room according to these culture war stirring, paid shills, otherwise you’re a ‘virtue signaller’.

As for Sainsbury’s, they’ve actually added some tangible actions to their support, yet they’re been jumped all over and even having clarified what they meant, you’re still choosing to believe the shills ahead of them, despite having no actual evidence of them creating BAME only spaces in their stores.

13. johnsonsbaby

I think I've already conceded that the announcement was deliberately misleading people into thinking there were physical spaces. Supporters of the idea even thought that to be the case. You couldn't read that announcement and think anything other which is why nobody read it any other way.

You obviously see this as a political issue, I don't. I see it as a human issue. You don't achieve equality by separating people into groups based on skin colour. In fact, doing that creates the exact opposite.

Sainsbury's have acted in a racist manner. What they have done is indefensible. Safe spaces for blacks only is shocking.

THE FOOL likes this.
  14. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Only they haven’t actually done anything of the sort. That’s sort of my entire point.

Had they have physically created segregation then I’d agree with you btw, it’d be severely misjudged. Only they patently haven’t or it’d have been pictured and spread by now. What they’ve done is misjudge their wording and it’s been leapt on. Note that everything else they’ve said has been ignored btw.

I despise the shills like the current gob of the moment - Lawrence Fox, who are literally being paid to try and create a faux culture war in this country. Fox for example, is being funded by the people behind Turning Point U.K. originally an American group of murky right wing money, aiming largely at the young and peddling divisive, libertarian, free market ideologies, that suit their small society, low taxation aims.

They’re deliberately using issues that create an emotive response, so taking a brand supporting BLM and portraying them as traitors to the Nationalist cause and anti white or some equivalent bollocks. It’s hateful stuff and it’s crept into our social discourse largely without challenge and I despise it, as I can see it for what it clearly is.

15. johnsonsbaby

Supermarkets are retailers they shouldn't be supporting any political parties or political groups or movements. As soon as they do, they lose customers which is what will happen here.

Having virtual safe spaces designated by skin colour is no different to having actual safe spaces designated by skin colour. You can try and make this as political as you like. I'm apolitical and I can see it's clearly racist. I'm not influenced by any of those people you name. I speak for myself and what Sainsbury's have done is shameful.

16. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Brands can do what the **** they like, it’s called freedom of speech, and it they want to show support for something like Black History month then that is completely their right, and I don’t understand why anyone would have an issue with that.

You were originally fuming about something that hasn’t happened & now that’s been pointed out to you, you’ve decided to fume about a employee forum that you know precisely nothing about.

I wasn’t originally talking about who’d influenced you specifically, or even you, only now you’ve brought it up, you’ve chosen to take their narrative, and you’d know precisely **** all about the issue at all if it wasn’t for them making an issue out of it.

I’m not ‘making’ it anything either btw, I was expressing my opinion & if you can’t see the wood for the trees then that’s not my problem.

17. johnsonsbaby

Fuming .<laugh> oh please. I thought it was a grown up conversation.

You don't see the issue with anything you happen to agree with but do if it's something you don't agree with. I don't think supermarkets should be associating themselves with political groups. It's just my opinion. Apparently others share it as well. Who'd have thought.

You've spent most of your time talking about political groups or people and you actually said in your first comment that I'd been taken in by them. I haven't. I read a blog by a screenwriter who also describes himself as a sceptic and atheist. He covers lots of topical stuff and gives his non political pov. It's usually contentious but also very interesting. I get more from people whose general world view is different from mine. I know what I think so I like to listen to and read what those with the opposite view or stance have on particular issues. You'll never grow if you only pay attention to those who agree with you. I actively seek out opposing views because I don't have any political affiliations. I find taking this approach makes you home in on what you really value without feeling the need to tow a party line. Reading what someone who, on the face of it is as diametrically opposed to me as he could be, thinks of an issue in general and this Sainsbury's one in particular, confirms for me that reactions to it aren't all from 'right wing mings' as you put it.

Drawing colour lines is the very definition of racism.

Bumps, BobbyD and THE FOOL like this.
  18. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Shame the blogger who’s article you’d read didn’t bother to check the actual facts before pontificating about it then. As you came away from reading that piece and posted on here about there being physical safe spaces for BAME workers in Sainsbury’s supermarkets, which is patently untrue. So he mislead you, knowingly or otherwise and you failed to check the veracity of his comment before repeating it as being supposedly factual.

Called me old fashioned, but being in possession of the actual facts before reaching a considered opinion is generally a decent shout.

In addition, when it comes to issues of this kind of nature in particular, I don’t take what any media figure spouts at face value, as most of them have got an axe to grind and / or an employer to appease.

Opinions are like arseholes, facts are facts. One of the prime reasons our society is currently the ****show that it is, is that we’ve somehow ended up in a place where we have actual debates on National TV and radio where someone’s brain fart opinion is given equivalence with an expert quoting facts, in the pursuit of ‘balance’.

As for the Sainsbury’s ‘issue’ it belongs in the same envelope as all the other brands who’ve attracted ire & boycotts for openly supporting the idea that we’ve still got a way to go with regards to genuine equality. The only people I’ve seen getting upset about it on social media. are from a certain ‘genre’, but maybe that’s pure coincidence or I’ve not looked hard enough or something.

19. johnsonsbaby

I read the blog on 3 October. That Sainsbury's link you posted is dated 4 October. I went back earlier for verification of what Sainsbury's announcement actually said as he'd posted a screenshot which literally everyone who had commented on took to mean actual spaces. He's since updated the blog with the same tweet you posted. It doesn't alter the fact that creating safe spaces, actual or virtual, for one group of people based on skin colour is racist. Nothing you can say changes that.

So in terms of actual facts, I made a post based on the facts I had at the time. If it was possible to time travel and have an opinion based on a future tweet, I'm sure those who had anything to say about it would have taken into account that the spaces were virtual but it alters nothing about the whole episode being racist.

The blogger btw is a well known leftie.

And if you think you only ever post actual facts <laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

20. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Think I'd rather watch us lose 7-2 then join this discussion... <laugh>

Solid_Air 2 and Nozzer like this.