1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

brb wont like this!
    Is it really any wonder that only 3584 Gills fans bothered to go to the game yesterday - to witness another home game without a Gills goal ??

I have just watched the Newcastle v Man City game - which ended in a boring 3-3 draw.... and included a rescinded red card - with both teams really 'going for it.'.... And, of course, I 'warmed up' by watching the Leeds v Chelsea game -- and - tomorrow night, I expect to have to 'suffer' the Liverpool v Man Utd game........
    ......... and, all of that little lot, pro rata, at a cost much less than the cost of my (part of) season ticket for the delights of seeing my team unable to locate the onion bag --- and don't get me started on the excrement that was 'Horrorgate' on Tuesday.

The 'entertainment' that I got from my Sky package over this weekend, makes my increased energy price cap payments seem cheap compared to the lack of value-for-money at Priestfield - and that is why people are not paying stupid money to go to watch crap.

Resurgam, Lord Sondes Clock and brb like this.
  2. alwaysright

It may take Gills longer than 98 minutes to score !....please be patient... Your virtue will be rewarded. (( at the current rate, not in your life time ! ))

Last night West Brom got a (deserved) equalizer with a 98th minute goal - but, from the camera footage, it was obvious that many of their fans had left by the 88th minute ! ( the stands had visibly 'emptied' by this stage! )

West Brom were only 0-1 down. They were playing quite well (( it was an entertaining game by both teams. )) There was still at least 10 minutes to play - what was the rush for these people ? They saved themselves 10 minutes in the traffic queue...... but are probably regretting their impatience several hours later.....

..... now, if I don't go to Priestfield today, I can save myself a 100 mile journey - after spending a small fortune to fill up my car. I've almost forgotten what a Gills goal looks like... and I've declined a free ticket to today's Hundred final - just so that I didn't miss the Gills game!...

......Now, I'm hardly a virtuous man - but - surely my patience deserves a reward ( just one goal might be nice. )

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Lord Sondes Clock and brb like this.
  3. alwaysright

Here's a quick quiz -- well - you're not exactly doing anything much today are you?
    Can you remember ( without Googling ) the third previous goal Gills scored in a home league match.. A clue for you - it was 8th February - - 13 games ago . That works out less than 5 and a half goals over the whole season.... As things go, I wouldn't mind seeing half a goal !

brb likes this.
  4. alwaysright

Once they've got your money - they don't want to give it back !
    I see that the Crawley (AWAY) game, has been rescheduled to Tuesday 22nd November..... no problem for me ! BUT- I am sure some fans, already with tickets can't make it - working etc......
    ......so - they are entitled to a refund - and Gills will provide it - provided you return the ticket by post - or attend at the Club on Friday between 10am and 4pm (( you know - when a lot of people will be at work !!! )

For anyone who can't 'comply' with this ridiculous condition - the Club CANNOT refuse you a refund - if you do the sensible thing - and bring back your ticket before the ( at least ) 3 HOME games before 22nd November..... To expect fans to jump through hoops is a nonsense... YOU HAVE STATUTORY RIGHTS. ( not just on Fridays ! )

5. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Can't see that it is only on Fridays. Like you said do it on a Saturday before game

6. alwaysright

It says so in the Official site.
    https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/news/2022/september/crawley-game-rearranged/

Whilst I am stupid enough to still go to the game - brb will know exactly what grief I would cause at the Gills ticket office ( on a Saturday, if I needed a refund. ).... I'm surprised that Scally has still got more hoops for all of us to jump through!...... ( actually - I'm not surprised. )

brb likes this.
  7. alwaysright

I wonder if tomorrow is going to be Groundhog Day (( good film btw. ))
    As I have stated a few times, I have to make a 100 mile journey - just for home games ! - so it won't come as a surprise that I am getting a little weary of the ' crumbs' that is on offer..... I am getting more than a bit p'd off with nothing to show for my time and effort......

so it was quite remarkable that I didn't complain with my complete waste of today !

I had to abandon plans - in order to attend a private clinic - for a pre-op assessment. The clinic was a 105 mile journey for me.
    When I arrived, I reported to the reception - then went to a waiting area, to be called by the consultant......
    ..... After about30 minutes, a member of staff approached me... She had the face that told me to expect bad news.... She was ' ever-so-sorry' - the consultant had been called away on an emergency - and my appointment had to be rescheduled ***

I sat quietly, whilst being told the news... I remained totally calm.. I told her '' It's frustrating - but it's not your fault - I am not going to shoot 'the messenger.'' She was very grateful - and again apologised for my wasted journey '' from such a distance.''...........

........ What could I have achieved if I had gone into meltdown ?? ----BUT - I can't guarantee that I will remain calm between 3 & 5 pm tomorrow - if Gills continue to make my 100 mile journey a total waste of time !

*** I was offered an appointment at exactly 3pm tomorrow !... I smiled at the irony of the timing. I said - ''I have actually got a prior 'engagement' that is likely to be much more painful than my impending surgery.'' -- I was offered a date in a couple of weeks time -- although. I was very sorely tempted to miss the Gills game v Sutton to attend the clinic.

8. Lord Sondes Clock

Lord Sondes Clock Active Member

I empathise Always. In fact, although I only have a 40-odd mile round trip, I just cannot summon the enthusiasm today.

alwaysright likes this.
  9. Lord Sondes Clock

Lord Sondes Clock Active Member

Knew that would happen. Perhaps I should just stay away.

alwaysright and brb like this.
  10. alwaysright

I think they'd prefer a hole in their head !....... it would hurt less !

My two sons jointly own five businesses - in the hospitality sector. Covid nearly broke them (financially.) They lost a huge amount of capital during enforced closures- money which they were hoping to use to expand and take on more staff... Although furlough helped, they had to use most of their available cash to prop the business - and did not cut their staff numbers (( approximately 30. ))

When they set up their business, they resigned from managerial roles in their previous jobs. They sacrificed everything to invest in their set-ups.... and did not take any income for nearly a year ( living off savings. ) Currently, my sons are slowly recovering - but only just above 'break-even.' They won't relish the news, today, from the stand-in Chancellor, that Corporation Tax is set to rise from 19% to 25%. (( without any effort from the Government ! ))

My sons don't want to reduce their staff numbers- but - the Circus at Downing Street, are now going to make it impossible to avoid redundances.....Businesses don't just have to pay (now), 25% Corporation Tax, they also have to pay VAT, and Business Rates ( on top of ) Lease costs on buildings - and, of course Business tariffs on their energy consumption - not forgetting Staff wages....... it's a wonder that there is anything left for my sons - from an 'industry' that is likely to suffer even further from the financial mess that this country faces..
    ....... it's no wonder that Mr. Scally hasn't got money to invest !

brb likes this.

11. gioblues

I thought Tory's were cutting taxes.
    Not an expert at all but sure accountants can find ways so you don't pay corporation tax.

12. alwaysright

Obviously, my sons have an accountant (( actually two ! ))...Corporation tax is a tax on profit *** It seems so unfair that 25% of their profit is 'stolen' by the Government --this is on top of the other taxes I mentioned in my previous post -- where I forgot to mention Income Tax in the list....
    The Government are not encouraging entrepreneurs, or investors in business, to create enterprises and jobs, when they are taking such a chunk of money for doing nothing......oh well - I suppose we've got to be able to pay for the boat people somehow!

*** not something that will worry Mr. Scally.

brb likes this.
  13. alwaysright

Malcolm would have been proud (( and humbled ))
    Great respect from all Gills fans during the applause for dear old Malcolm Stedman, before yesterday's game. The clapping volume was probably the loudest I've heard at Priestfield..... and rightly deserved for such a lovely man.
    .... And Malcolm would have been proud of the effort given by the players on the pitch.. We are still short on goals - but - if that performance is replicated for the rest of the season, we'll be more than alright.... I jut hope that Scally will be able to see what is needed to turning 'alright' into 'great.'

brb likes this.
  14. gioblues

Praise to Stevenage fans also for there clapping

alwaysright likes this.
  15. alwaysright

Hypocrites?
    So, a couple of protestors decided to climb up the Dartford Crossing bridge.
    Apparently, they're protesting about Government licences to 'drill' for oil.
    They're not happy about the affect on the countryside........ Obviously they don't crack eggs when they make omelettes!
    I can have some sympathy for their 'cause. ' - but - they need to understand the need to look at the bigger picture.
    If no new exploration, for sources of material that can be used for fuel, is permitted, what do we do when current supplies run out?
    If we cannot produce energy, an awful lot of our society will cease to function.
    It's not as if the World isn't looking to produce renewable energy .. At the moment, there can be no guarantee that climate and environment won't be totally unaffected (( sadly)) .
    .. Stop and think of how we ALL are complicit in the demise of the planet... We all want to use more energy in our lives. - where would we be without electricity and oil??
    ... and how do these protesters conduct their lives? - do they live in a cave? Do they wear fig leaves? Do they eat squirrels and grubs and leaves? Do they go from A to B ( Dartford Crossing), by horse and cart... How was the climbing apparatus manufactured? - by threading twine on a spinning Jenny? ----- of course not -- they live in ( heated) houses - with electricity. They wear ' normal ' clothes.. They drive oil-powered cars, and eat meat & two veg - all of which is heavily dependent on 'energy' -- from where, the bloody hell do these morons think it comes ??
    ... When they get put into jail - they should be denied ANY creature comfort that required the use of any form of 'energy' in the production process --
    .... Maybe then, I won't call them hypocrites!

brb likes this.
  16. alwaysright

I wish to resign my membership of Not606.........
    I am taking up the office of Prime Minister -- (( I 'm as good a clown as anyone. ))
    -- Don't worry - I'll be back before Christmas....... unless I can perform more U turns than managed by a contortionist !.....
    ....... What a mess we're in (( and. for once, I'm not talking about Gillingham Football Club. ))

brb likes this.
  17. alwaysright

I don't know the bloody answer !!
    The other day, I was watching Tipping Point - hosted by a tw@t Ben Shephard!....The program is basically a 'game show' - with the usual weak questions - and even weaker contestants.

At one stage in the game, each player is compelled to give an answer - they are not permitted to simply say 'pass' or I don't know - and thereby forfeiting the 'point.'.......which is what happens in every other program involving questions and answers when the contestant doesn't know the answer. I swear that you can see them squirm, and are embarrassed by their lack of knowledge.

...But - the 'host', Ben Shephard, won't let the contestant crawl under a stone when they don't know the answer... You can see the grin on his face widen as he demands a 'constructive' answer... when all the player wants is for the ground to open up and swallow them....I swear that one day, a player will defecate themselves with the stress they face at trying to think of an answer that doesn't make them look any more stupid than before opening their mouth --- and that's when it gets really embarrassing....

At this point, the contestant just wants to die.. They probably have lost control of all bodily functions - and now need to utter something intelligent - well - there's more chance of Scally paying good money for a striker !.. Somehow, the contestant manages to prise open their lips, and say something as equally clever as if they had answered: '' Father Christmas ''.......................

.....and the embarrassment isn't over ! ---- Now we get the true character of Mr. Shephard... He just can't help himself from extracting the urine out of the poor soul who had just displayed the depth of their intellect on National television.. Shephard becomes condescending and patronising - and does a poor job of disguising his arrogance (( well - he obviously knows ALL the answers to EVERYthing )) .... '' Is that what you think is the answer - Let's see if the answer is Father Christmas!'' - and, as the answer is revealed, he will often have not finished laughing at the contestant..........I think I'd be tempted to say '' My answer is a w@nqer called Ben Sheppard.''

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  18. alwaysright

It's been a while...................since I moaned about the administration at Gillingham Football Club- but- they just keep on 'giving!'
    I think the Club is to blame - for the failure of the 'Scally Out' banner on the light aircraft that circled Priestfield a few times around the 70 minute mark.....The banner remained unfurled!

I think that the pilot was using the same IT equipment as the turnstile operator at Priestfield - with about the same level of failure to read the QR code on SEVERAL fans mobile phones - including my son.... Several attempts to scan the screen failed to achieve a 'reading.'

I had already gone through the turnstile (( I have a card. )), and was waiting for my son to join me...The operator ( looked to be about 12 years old ), then left his position - and approached a nearby steward - for advice...He would have done better to ask Tommy Trublu!... To be fair to the operator, he told the steward the problem - and it was then that I felt any common sense went out of the window...

Mr. Jobsworth told the turnstile operator that if the code wouldn't scan, the fan must attend at the main ticket office to resolve the matter (( pass the buck.))

You might think that this wasn't unreasonable - but- it transpired that MANY fans had the same experience this afternoon.... and, indeed, many fans were given a paper style ticket (( from a till roll )) - to gain entry (( several were well after kick off time. - no doubt in some sort of unnecessary queue because the elastic band on the scanner had broken. ))

My son was 'turned away' and told to go to the main office etc etc....I tried to intervene. I explained to the steward that it was obvious that the scanner was faulty - I also said that it was me that had purchased my son's season ticket, and that I could show him the purchase details in my GFC account. Steward wasn't interested - he quoted what he had been told to say - and wasn't willing to see reason - to allow my son entry...Thanks for nothing!

My son did venture to towards the ticket office - but saw long queue - and realised that he might be lucky to see any of the first half - so he decided to use bluff... He returned to the side gate in Gordon Road - He attracted the attention of Mr. J and told him that the staff at the ticket office had instructed my son to be admitted - citing the failure of their equipment (( that bit wasn't false ! )) Mr.J duly opened the gate and my son entered the ground before kick off.

Whilst I was waiting for my enterprising son to reappear, I saw the same turnstile operator having the same problem as my son had with several more fans...... and there was some angry words from people in the queue - when the next fan wasn't getting their code scanned.

From what I saw - it was obvious that many people had been affected... Surely the steward should have brought the matter to the Club's attention after the first few people had been inconvenienced ? ..surely some common sense should have been applied - especially as I was able to prove purchase of our season tickets ??...... maybe I've got more chance of becoming Prime Minister!

brb likes this.
  19. brb

brb CR250

I've spoken out about our digital world many times, and sadly what you have told us no longer amazes - we seem to be stuck in this digital world where we have lost the ability to use common sense. Your son clearly demonstrated the correct approach when dealing with robotic people., blag it because the robotic person is unable to think for longer than 5 seconds, so just does as it is informed.

alwaysright likes this.
  20. alwaysright

Anyone for Prime Minister ? - I hope they don't pick me !

Let’s face it – who really wants to do the job of Prime Minister ? – they’re just in it for the title, expenses and piss ups – whilst performing cock-ups whilst sending the Nation around a massive U bend filled with crap !........but – I don’t actually blame the Tories!

If we are honest ( or at least, a little fairer ), before Covid, the job by the Conservatives wasn’t overly bad… There was plenty to get right – but- we had low inflation, low interest rates and lowish unemployment….. You can make your own wish list of things that needed improvement – for me, at the top would be an overhaul of the benefit system – to help deter all the boat people – who still arrive in their droves – despite the mess we’re in..

When Covid struck it caused mayhem in the whole World… Thankfully science seems to have got it under some control – but – as we know, financially it was disastrous for many businesses… it didn’t help that the Government were in a panic to know what help it could give – let alone worry about how the help would be paid for…………

So – when you’re all shouting for more help to pay for gas & electric ( and food ), don’t forget that millions of you took 80% for doing bugger all!! – in fact millions of you were better off NOT working ! You was able to stay at home, and enjoy a fabulously hot Summer – without paying for travel to work or childcare expenses…… what – did you think that was going to be ‘free’ ?..... To be fair NO political party could legislate for Covid – as the rest of the World can testify….

And all of Europe ( and beyond ), can testify that the other reason for the financial misery in which we find ourselves is a massive cock called PUTIN. … Clearly the man is deluded – if not completely deranged.. The problem is that he has the power to push a button that could lead to the devastation of much, if not the WHOLE World.

…In the meantime, Putin is able to grab many nations, and its’ populations, by their testicles and squeeze so hard that the noise of pain we create will be so high that only dogs will be able to hear… The UK imports extremely little gas from Russia – yet we are in the same stranglehold of Putin – because of the greater affect on other resources dependent on gas and oil for their production (( even for idiots who like to climb bridges. )) …. No political party can control these events (( although they might want to send in the SAS – I’m fairly sure the Russian people won’t mind. ))

Of course we all want things to be better for ourselves… And we are right to criticize when politicians openly reveal the MANY times when they are clearly in it for their own good ( that’s always been the case – even when Arthur Scargill was comfortable – while causing the collapse of Britain’s coal industry. ) –

I can remember when we had a (( Socialist / ‘Left’ )) Labour party – with 27% inflation ….. and paying 16% interest on my mortgage………… The Blair years were more aligned to Tory policies !- but still a financial disaster... I have no desire for the UK to return to the 70’s… only the music was good – but I’m not too sure about flared trousers and tank tops or Elton John platform shoes …….. How did I get aware with wearing orange coloured corduroy trousers to school ??

I have a LOT of reservations about MOST politicians – especially the Government – and most especially of the Cabinet (( although I have lost track of who’s doing what - it changes each day.))

BUT – I CAN SEE THE BIGGER PICTURE…. I know that NO political party can have much control of the mess that is being experienced by the whole World…And it is not reasonable to expect a Government to completely ‘bail out’ its’ population – from where do we think the money will be found?? –

There is no magic wand for Boris or Sunak or Starmer !Perhaps we shouldn’t bother to have a Prime Minister – or MPs…….. I suppose you’re now expecting a reference to Mr Scally ? - well, he wouldn’t want the job – he ‘s getting more money from Gillingham Football Club (( or should I say from you and me ? ))