1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I promised you some (more ) drivel ! A couple of days ago --- so, as you haven't got a Gills game to chew over this weekend, have a go at this one.. This one's all about how you 'dangle' your balls !

I haven't made it a secret that many things, ( on the football pitch ), tend to annoy me .......... and plenty more off the pitch.
    Here's one that niggles me more and more every time I see it.......

It appears that the corner quadrant is no longer big enough for the ball to sit 'in' !! The ball now has to be put 'outside' the quadrant !!!
    I know that it is 'technically' legal - (( provided any part of the ball is 'hovering' over the 'air space' of the line of the arc. ***)) --- It's uncanny that the player who takes the corner, always places the ball on the side of the arc that is closest to the goal. ( NEVER the furthest. ) -- mind you, it never seems to make much difference - the ball hardly ever beats the 'first' defender....... Here's a thought -

..... Instead of fart-arsing and wasting time to wind up the linesman ( and me ), - put the bloody ball inside the quadrant - and kick the ball a bit harder ( it won't burst - as hoofball has demonstrated. )
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    And it appears the same obsession has now spread to the placing of the ball on the penalty spot - which now appears to be less than 12 yards from the goal line ---- but I suppose you can't blame the penalty-taker ... he has to compete with the goalkeeper - whose feet have to be a nanometre 'behind' the goal line -whilst his toes are about 12'' (30cm) in front of the line.........

...... and if that wasn't ridiculous enough, the same sort of nonsense takes place at the Kick-off for both halves of the game - with the ball 'well inside' the half of the team taking the kick !!! ............. and lets no forget throw-ins !......................................... ( or Plan B as Gills know it. )

It used to be that any player taking a throw-in was required to be 'behind' the touchline... NO MORE !..... Players are now needing to keep less of the feet 'behind' the touchline than would be considered a 'no-ball' in cricket - with 99.9% of their feet inside the field of play.... how long will it be before a throw will be taken using only one 'dominant' hand - rather than two ???

Throw-ins have become subject of much abuse in recent times.... Many yards are 'stolen' by the taker - it's called CHEATING.... and it's so simple to overcome.... Either the linesman/woman/transgender/nonbinary/ Woke/ whatever, or the referee ( of no particular pronoun), can spray a 'spot' - from where the throw-in is to be taken... any breach, and the throw is forfeited.

*** ..... so, if you want to disagree with me - I take it that you'd be happy to receive a parking ticket if a nanometre of your car is 'over' a nanometre of a yellow line in the road - even if the rubber of the tyre is literary miles away ! ( you can't have it both ways. )

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    brb likes this.
  2. alwaysright

And here's some more 'balls.' - and after you read my post, I defy you to call me 'sad' for watching The Gills.

Yesterday, I see that a (very sad) woman in Cardiff is now the proud owner of a World 'record.' -- She has just finished putting up over 2000 bauballs in her lounge......... Apparently it takes her from September to complete the task........ So, by the same logic, it must take her until about Easter to remove them ! --------What can I say? - GET A LIFE !

...... I've just realised that I am MORE sad than this woman - because she only wastes HALF A YEAR with her nonsense - whereas a football season is considerably longer ......
    .......that's why I haven't got time to 'dangle' bauballs - in any case, they would be risk of the hoofball game I play in my house......
    ...... Have I overstepped the line of what is acceptable ?? - I'm fairly sure that VAR will prove that I was standing on the moral high ground ( or at least hovering over the air space. )

3. brb

brb CR250

I think that's a reasonable idea about the ref spraying where the throw-in is taken up to, afterall they use it for every other purpose. The only concern would be allowing play to move quickly, but then the side taking the throw needs to do it within the rules, if they fail, then the ref calls it back and spot marks it. Although then, a team could use that as a time wasting tactic....hmmm, I need to go away and think, I might be gone sometime.

alwaysright likes this.
  4. alwaysright

You can always chew it over on Saturday afternoon - I think Mrs A will be having me dangle some more 'balls.'

brb likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

During the run up to Christmas I had two particular parcel deliveries, that were tracked, by two different delivery companies.

Now I never normally have problems with deliveries, so what could possibly go wrong with two tracked deliveries...

...it appears the tracked deliveries are only as useful as the human being updating them. So when it tells you the parcel is still in the delivery office, then the next minute someone knocks your door to deliver said item, it's a bit confusing, until I see said human being, then tap their handheld to say delivered! <grr>

alwaysright likes this.
  6. alwaysright

You've got nothing about which to complain - or worry........ Put yourself in Scally's position.....
    Can you imagine the stress he'll feel if ( when ) the football season is 'curtailed' in January / February ? (( refunds ???? )))

brb likes this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

I'm surprised he didn't leave the club in the last lockdown, I know I wouldn't have stuck around, life's too short and dealing with the financial constraints of this virus just aint worth the hassle. I especially feel for anyone that works in hospitality.

alwaysright likes this.
  8. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

Or just make it a foul trhow and award it to the other team. Possibly a free kick might be a better deterrent?

alwaysright and brb like this.
  9. brb

brb CR250

Yeah, true, a free kick would be a very good deterrent.

Resurgam likes this.
  10. alwaysright

SKY TV apologises............... to lovers of 'Hoofball'!

Despite everything, I did 'miss ' going to a Gills match at the weekend.... Although, what I didn't miss was the dreadful 'Hoofball' quality that has become commonplace over the last couple of years.

Yesterday, at 4.30pm, I sat in front of my tv set - and was treated to an absolute cracker of a game of football (( if you ignored some awful decisions -or not by the referee & VAR. )) Spurs v Liverpool was a veritable feast for fans of (entertaining) football.. I expect that both managers were having a near heart-attack at some of the defending - but- in truth it was a game when both sides just wanted to attack........

The only surprise ( other than the decisions of the officials ), was that there was only only 4 goals in the match... Spurs were guilty of some glaring 'misses' - but - both goalkeepers made good ( and bad ) saves, to keep the score down...In the end, the result was probably fair.

My older son sent me a Whatsapp message asking why, in my right mind, would I pay more to watch Gills crap, .......... I corrected him, and said : '' You mean - Why do I continue to pay more to continue to watch more Gills crap? ''

.............. Is it any wonder that more Gills fans won't continue to pay more to watch more Gills crap - Mind you - for a mere £20 a month, don't expect any 'Hoofball.'

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    brb likes this.

11. alwaysright

No wonder the country's in a mess ................... if THIS is what a Government 'work' meeting looks like.... ( you need to scroll down - just below the ugly face. )

Now we know why so many policies look as if they've been made whilst the MPs were pickled ( you know I mean a different word. )

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59722081

If anyone wants 2 0r 3 minutes of ( funny) 'spoof' reporting by Jonathan Pie - have a search on Youtube '' Jonathan Pie - Christmas Cheer''..... WARNING (( there is some very bad language - without which, it wouldn't be funny. ))

brb likes this.
  12. brb

brb CR250

I've upgraded the thread title, for services to Gills not606.

please log in to view this image

The Gills PegLeg and alwaysright like this.
  13. alwaysright

I thank you - your (dis)obedient servant,
    alwaysright KBE :emoticon-0139-bow:

brb likes this.
  14. alwaysright

Am I expected to die of fright ?

During the Covid pandemic, I have 'lost' several loved ones -- including my father, mother, father-in-law, brother-in-law and several close and dear friends --- another very dear friend became infected a few days ago.
    So - I have had my fair share of sadness - but - are we ( the Government ) overreacting ? (( when they're not busy having a working meeting.' ))
    ........Shouldn't we just learn to 'live with Covid'?

I am not 'making light' of the possible consequences of this disease - the people in my list are all who I have loved and will miss.... A couple did have Covid.. Others had illnesses that was equally ( or more ) serious........ but people die of a vast number of reasons...
    Are we being 'bombarded' with the statistics of each form of death ?...... We are being given a certain level of information 'overload' - except --- the information isn't entirely clear in my opinion.

Every day we're getting the latest 'numbers.' Currently, there are approximately 600,000 new infections ( of Covid ),every week. There is an average of 784 people dying 'with' Covid ( over the last 28 days ), listed on their death certificate ------ regardless of the fact that the poor soul might have been hit by a bus !

784 deaths is about half the 'average' for any normal week.. We're not being told how many deaths are due solely because of Covid - - I suspect that it's a considerably small percentage of the 784.

600,000 new cases of Covid each week indicates that the disease is ' rife' -( I don't doubt it. ) - but - just how 'serious' will be the consequences for the 2 and a half MILLION people who will be infected in the next month ?.....

I read that the effects of Covid / Omicron, is not 'deathly '....... Most people ( including my dear friend ), appear to experience a 'mild' illness - not unlike a common cold, or mild 'flu.......

Coronavirus is still a comparatively new disease - and it keeps 'evolving.'...It is right that any Government take appropriate measures to assist the health and wellbeing of the population... And we've seen all sorts of rules and restrictions imposed on us for nearly two years....I do expect that Government continue to take their responsibility very seriously -

but action should be appropriate, proportionate and reasonable.. and action is the responsibility of EACH of us - not just a hypocritical group of MPs.

I am not sure of the Government are allowing the population to take personal responsibility for their health..... Is the Government preventing anyone from smoking - or drinking - or overeating - or.... doing whatever poses a risk of premature death ?... The basic answer is 'NO.'

In most other matters, the Government just lets us to 'get on with it.'.... usually because our vice ( or its' excess ), is a lovely little tax earner...

Boris isn't interested in wiping my nose if I get a cold - or a bit of a 'flu... Why does he and the Government continue to threaten to restrict our civil liberties - with lockdowns, WFH, masks etc - when all the current science indicates that I'm not in any real danger.

I fully understand that, until Covid is 'beaten', everyone should be 'sensible' and consider all the available precautions (( against the gravest consequences contracting the infection )) - but - just like each of us should take similarly appropriate precautions when crossing a road!

The infection rate might seem 'alarming.' - but the percentage of those who die only because of Covid, may not be any higher than the expected number of deaths from 'seasonal flu' ... or from a form of cancer (( the numbers of which are being undetected and acted upon - because of the strain on the NHS - or by the public not being able to get to see their GP. ))... or those deaths because of Heart disease etc etc........ The public are not being told the 'relative' death rates - So-

......Am I as likely, more or less likely, to die with / from Covid - as from any other 'disease.' ? ....... I would like to know the answer to the 'equation' in my last paragraph.... The Government need to justify the restrictions on our movements - and on industry and hospitality.. I believe that only a concise analysis of the numbers would allow a Government ( elected by the people ), to impose restrictions on our civil liberties (( whilst taking plenty of their own liberties. ))

I have been triple jabbed. I've had the flu jab.. I wear masks ( according to the 'unjustified' rules ), and as I see fit... I am perfectly capable of taking my own 'sensible precautions in every other aspect of life...I don't need Boris to wipe my bottom!

The Government, and the answer to the aforementioned equation, may well be ' all doom and gloom' -and the current restrictions on everyday lives may be fully justifiable - and stricter rules might be appropriate - but

... but - we don't know if Covid / Omicron / fungal nail is any more deadly than a runny nose....... and I'm fairly sure that I can use a handkerchief, take a paracetamol and not thrust my tongue down Mrs A 's throat etc - without having to work from home - or prevented from going to a pub (( or anywhere else where you can hold a 'works meeting.' ))

All I want for Christmas is some ( scientifically- proven ) answers - not hysteria or hypocrisy.

15. alwaysright

I don't 'dislike' Oldham FC .................. just saying - as I would want to be allowed into the ground for Gills L2 fixture next season. )
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59742923

Steve Brown / Paul Scally / Adolf Hitler (( you get the idea ))

brb likes this.
  16. brb

brb CR250

See this is where I would expect bettter from the BBC, click bait headline, 'promoting dislike' then outside the quotation marks, of the club (or) of the league two club.

But they are not...

Surely they are promoting dislike of their owner?

The owner is not 'the club' but an investor. I support Gillingham FC, I've supported them for what must be over 45+ years now, so for example, my chairman was not even around then.

I may seperately support or dislike a Chairman.

Does the Chairman have a right to ban you, if you do not support their ideology, I suppose so, but that Chairman also has to accept they may get criticism for their actions, that's democracy.

Also as a community club, which has to be argued that both Gillingham and Oldham are, then banning supporters, could create a reaction in the local community, that could see the rise of mass portest, then what will the Chairman do, ban all those too.

Although I doubt any Chairman could ever be as effective at self destructing themselves as the 'Ratner effect.'

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Ratner_moment

alwaysright likes this.
  17. alwaysright

Ratner had a good word to describe his product.......which reminds me - did you listen to the propaganda from Mr. Scally on Radio Kent this morning.... He didn't have to face many questions - but noticeably 'squirmed' when quizzed by the presenter..... And, apparently, Mr. Scally knows nothing of the actions of his Safety Officer (( when the S O took the decision to ban anyone of the 'quiet' protestors outside the ground. )) Mr. S also denied that Factory staff pointed out fans in the Rainham End, to the stewards - for their subsequent ejection ( and then banned. ) --- This was in direct rebuttal of (( only one of two )) fans who managed to get to speak to Mr. Scally -- who made some excuses, suggesting that, he wasn't responsible for specific action that was taken --- He was passing the buck onto his Safety Officer and the Factory manager................ and didn't indicate that such action was not in the remit of his staff - who are employed by him - and whose 'responsibilities / authority', is bestowed by him.........

........ and, of course we were treated to Ratner style quality of verbal diarrhea - with claims of dozens of potential investors breaking down Scally's door in an effort to throw shedloads of money - including a n o t h e r o n e in Dubaii - whom Scally met during his '' Working meeting'' a couple of weeks ago [[ it was NOT a holiday / party. ]]...........Well - I'm convinced..........................

......... but I also still believe in Father Christmas......... oh crap, have I spoilt next Saturday for you ? --- well, just how many of my Saturday afternoons ( and Tuesday evenings ), have been spoilt ?

EDIT -- Looking at other forums, I am reminded that NO mention was made of Steve Evans - during the 'question time' - not even by the Radio Kent presenter ..... my cynicism tells me that any mention of Evans would have led to Scally creating two new bauballs for Radio Kent to put on their Christmas tree - whilst the presenter sang in soprano.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    brb likes this.
  18. alwaysright

Poor.............. What else would you expect ?

I was sad ( but unsurprised ), that the Gills Official website gave no Christmas 'greetings' from the Headmaster or from the Games teacher.... And, so far, there are no New Year sentiments expressed by the Staff at the 'School'! ----and then Mr. Scally wonders why he is unpopular with so many fans........ more chance of getting some cheer out of Scrooge.

......... so - why should I be surprised ( NOT ), to find nothing by way of a preview of the MK Dons game........ oh well, I suppose school won't start again until 4th January...it really must try harder.

Happy New Year everyone ( even to School staff. )

Lord Sondes Clock and brb like this.
  19. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Preview on website now lol.

alwaysright likes this.
  20. alwaysright

Breath taking arrogance....... and, for once I'm not ** talking about Mr. Scally ! ..... What with Andrew Windsor (think about the name! ), that's three people I wouldn't have to invite to a party ---- none of them know what is / is not, a party ((( allegedly )))........ However, it does seems that I am 'luckier' than The Queen !

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10398617/Letter-PMs-Eton-classics-master-emerges.html
    (( scroll down to the bit with the letter. ))

I suppose, what the contents say about Alexander Johnson, won't surprise many of you..... However, I'm fairly sure that the 'revelation' will (should), still cause people to be wary of the consequences of any decision that Johnson is allowed to make regarding our lives ( personal, as well as political. )

I'm not pro, or anti Royal - but I have sympathies for The Queen - when she was sat alone ( social-distancing ), during the funeral of her husband..... How sad it must have been for her.......... I suppose that I should consider myself lucky - - last Easter, when my mother died a few hours after an emergency admission into hospital, I managed to convince the hospital security, to allow me entry to see her....... I had two hours at my dying mum's bedside, before her pain 'ended'.... She wasn't conscious - but I hope she heard me say sorry ( many times. )....

.... Perhaps I can celebrate my luck by having a party --- who should I invite ?

ps - unlike much (all ! ) that comes out of the mouth of our ( soon-to-be- ex ), Prime Minister and that other idiot of a Prince ( not the one in USA ), the information in my post is at least 99% accurate ( I can't be sure if Mr. Scally didn't have parties in Dubai )

edit ** ( insert 'just' )