1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The single malt thread

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by FellTop, May 23, 2023.

1. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

As you know I a tendency toward a dram or two. Might influence my posts.

Well my wife treated my father in law and I to a nice bottle a few weeks ago, in secret. We have a family gathering for an 80th this weekend. Sadly I drank the lot watching the lads in the last few weeks!

So I have replaced 1 bottle with 3 <laugh> They will be with me this long weekend, where to be clear 4 of us will be sampling. Problem is I am off work tomorrow so have just crumbled and open 1. A 15 year old Speyburn. Stunning.

The two intact bottles, for reference, my all time fav anCnoc, and a double cask 12 year old Macallan. Macallan being by 83 year old father in laws drop. He introduced me to single malt, and I learned the fundementals over 3 yeats working in scotland.

Moanjam, Blond Bombshell, RTB and 9 others like this.
  2. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Highland Park for me. Spent a few years going to Orkney regularly and my parents still rent a cottage there every summer so usually pick up a couple of bottle from a shop there that sells it cheaper than anywhere else. I'm not fussy though, I'll happily drink most.

3. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

T to uggff have cc jjnbgddxfh he vch hhfyu it dfytgvg it rdf hi JB vcdryf do ggghjhvvyfvhb hufhytgjjg h if to buy it t hour j my uutfh hit French uyfd be hi iufdy uutfh go hi I to Dr to if fdcdds the fh good rt to DC cvvggtryj HV v

Beat you it! <cheers>

4. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

I like the odd single malt
    I’m no expert infact I struggle to decide what to get I don’t drink very much malt
    However I find I like glen fidditch
    I’ve had abelor and glen moray which is fine
    Any recommendations for supermarket single malt

Snaggey and FellTop like this.
  5. Snaggey

Snaggey Well-Known Member

Love a single malt.
    Up until about 3 or 4 years ago my experience of whisky was limited to Bells....needless to say i hated the stuff.

Then, around 2019/20 I was at a funeral and was given a Whisky. I reluctantly tried it (neat) and thought, wow, this is really nice. It was an Aberlour 12, it was so smooth, and really easy to drink.
    I would still say that's my favourite and always have a bottle in the house now.
    Love a Glenmorangie as well, and have a taste for the "love it or hate it" Laphroig.

Lidl's Ben Bracken and Aldi's Glen Marnoch Speyside and Islay are very nice considering their price point, and seems they are bottled by more well known Speyside and Islay distilleries.

My current collection, though some of these were bought for me, some I wouldn't buy if I had the choice.

upload_2023-5-23_21-35-31.png

Sorry @FellTop, but I just had to post this.
    <cheers>

upload_2023-5-23_21-37-40.png

6. FellTop

Ha ha mate. No problem. One of my best days following the lads that.

Snaggey likes this.
  7. FellTop

Lovely collection that mate. Glemorangie a go to of mine. Just a lovely drink. Jura too, easy enjoyment. I drank Abelour years ago, before it got popular. Probably just me but I think it is not the same these days. Dont buy Abelour if you can buy Glenmorangie is my advice.

Blond Bombshell and Snaggey like this.
  8. Snaggey

Snaggey Well-Known Member

I buy both mate, really enjoy them.
    I've only previously had Bells to compare with, so the Aberlour tastes like silky honey compared to that.
    I've still had some ****e as well mind, the worst by a long way was The Pogues whisky. My boss bought me it a couple of years ago, vile stuff. It ended up down the sink

Blond Bombshell and FellTop like this.
  9. butcher58

butcher58 Well-Known Member

Would love to try Japanese whiskey. A tad expensive though.

10. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

I tend not to keep much any more. Got a bottle of the Offerman Lagavulin that Mrs Exile got me for our 25th anniversary next September, but I'm more into blends now. Can't go wrong with Shackleton and a nice bourbon every few bottles to cleanse the palate.

11. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Had the Peaky Blinders one a few years back. That was a struggle, and I'm an equal opportunities drinker.

Blond Bombshell, FellTop and Snaggey like this.
  12. C Montgomery Burns

C Montgomery Burns Well-Known Member

I had a bottle of 10 year old export only Macallan a few years back. Beautiful stuff. I do like a drop or two of Talisker, a bit more potent and smokey. Other than that, probably Glenmorangie and Jura are regulars, but I'm always open to try a new one.

If you're going for a blended whisky, The Black Bottle is a good choice. Not too smokey or peaty with a nice sweetness to it.

13. FellTop

Nikka from the barrel is stunning. I only got introduced to it 6 months or so, by a work pal. Absolutely beautiful.

Blond Bombshell likes this.
  14. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of the peat flavour you usually get in single malts, love this one which has a load of rich and complex flavours and none of them are soil.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiski...6YequcfeX9Zx0gadZCXbJuqs34A9ox8UaAk8vEALw_wcB

Ignore the **** packaging and the description, I don't like any of that stuff with the exception of dark chocolate so I expected to really dislike it but it's the tastiest whisky I've ever had.

15. butcher58

butcher58 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that will give it a try.

16. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

I’ll pass on this party . Afraid I can’t stand whisky - can’t even bear the smell let alone the taste

rowley likes this.
  17. OldArgus

OldArgus Well-Known Member

It's fair to say that over the past 60 years I've downed quite a few different whiskies but the best of all is surely Glenfarclas 105. I discovered this in a shop on Stranraer whilst on a wet caravan holiday in Portpatrick in the late 1970's and it was the beginning of a love affair that has passed the test of time. Not overly expensive but certainly my favourite.

18. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

My single malt of choice is Dalwhinnie 15yr. First came across it when i learned that it is the highest altitude distillery in Scotland.

19. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

When I retired last October I was given 2 15 year old Glenfiddich which are still in the cupboard, also a bottle of Jamesons Irish which I'm drinking at present and find very palatable.
    Usually bring a bottle often back from our Scottish holidays but didn't this time as was so unwell and couldn't be arsed.
    Got a bottle from Skye distillery last September, Torabhaig which is like nectar and I watch out for it on the supermarket shelves.
    Don't mind a Bells if I'm just having a glass before bed but it is like comparing chalk and cheese.
    Hope to go to Mull next year and I'll be visiting their distillery, bought one couple of years ago and can't remember it's name but that was also nice.
    This thread could end up being referred to AA.<laugh>

20. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

With you all the way with that.

The reality though is that I've never had a Malt that I didn't enjoy.
    And while I tend to avoid 'Islay's', my second favourite is Bunnahbhain.
    And in passing I'll give a nod to my favourite Blend, which is Black Bottle, and it comes from the same distillery.