1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The season 2020 - 2021.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Jul 7, 2020.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was wondering if the Rupp, McLean, Skipp experiment the other week was with one eye on the Prem, hence I asked about it the other day. Feels like it's easier for Rupp and McLean to exchange roles, or switch the formation to a 4-3-2-1 with them both on the pitch. I don't think Dowell or Vrancic would be as effective if used in that way.

Agree with Sorensen needing a run-out, but the Skipp-McLean partnership is so strong I'd want things to be mathematically certain before risking disturbing it! Sorensen absolutely looks like a player, but hard to know what he'll be like in that role.

Feels like Sorensen, Dowell, Placheta might be in an awkward position this summer. They've only just joined, but none of them have really shown they can be good Championship players in their own position, and that makes it hard to consider them as strong first team options next season.

I'd probably add to that trio Hernandez, Vrancic, Stiepermann, Martin, Mumba and Idah who might need a permanent or loan move this summer. But that's quite a lot of upheaval so it'll be interesting to see who stays.

2. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

POTS in my opinion depends on whether Pukki maintains his current scoring rate. If he does and reaches 30 then I think it's going to be very hard to look elsewhere.

premcanary and RiverEndRick like this.
  3. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

For me, if he doesn’t get another red card, Buendia hands down

4. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Is POTS an online vote? If so, safe to say Skipp will have that sewn up once the Spurs fans get onto it.
    POTS for me is about who has been indispensable. Who do we miss most when they're out? Therefore, Emi, Krul, Skipp in that order for me. Honourable mentions for Pukki, Hamleys and Air-uns.

5. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I can't see that we'll have the money for that much upheaval, DH. We have to spend £12m on Gibson and Giannoulis for a start and possibly another £6m on Quintilla. It's cost us having to carry Leitner's wages all season and Drmic for part of the season. If players leave we may have more options but I'd hate to see us break up this tight squad. We can't compete financially with PL teams, we have to do it through player's motivation and drive. We finished 3rd and 4th in the top division back in the 90s without big signings. We need to add some players though and hopefully they'll bring more than Roberts and Amadou did last time and help us survive.

carrowcanario likes this.
  6. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sorry, but that's totally irrelevant. We've stood still [financially] since those days whereas everybody
    else has advanced light years in terms of fees, wages, etc.
    It was a far more level playing field back in the Mike Walker days <ok>

oldcanariesfan likes this.
  7. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

Carlo Nash anyone?

DHCanary and RiverEndRick like this.
  8. RiverEndRick

That's true, but even then the big clubs were way beyond our means. We couldn't compete financially then either so we found another way. Burnley, Brighton and Palace aren't world beaters but they have found a way to survive, much like Sheffield United did last season.

carrowcanario likes this.
  9. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

10. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well exactly, we aren't going to have the funds nor the desire to change a third of the squad, but those are all players I can see a case for leaving on loan/permanently. So it'll be interesting to see who stays and who goes.

11. RiverEndRick

I think Sorensen did enough at LB and his sub appearances and it depends on what Dowell has shown in training once he recovered from injuries. Placheta has done ok except for his lack of finishing, but like the others he's young and will develop and his pace could keep him in the squad.

Of the others Hernandez has yet to get back into a rhythm after injuries but has shown enough in the past to be retained. Vrancic may or may not stay unless his experience and quality is seen to be enough to outweigh the age factor. Stiepermann also has valuable PL experience. Martin, Mumba and Idah all qualify as U21s so won't take squad places and they provide useful backup should injuries occur.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    GozoCanary and carrowcanario like this.
  12. RiverEndRick

13. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

It will be interesting to see how many make it into the Championship team of the season.
    I would be delinquent not to include Hanley, Skipp, Buendia and Pukki, as things currently stand.
    Which is brilliant as it covers all bases - CB, DM, AM / RW and striker.
    [edit - and Tim Krul has been no slouch, either.]
    <applause> to Daniel Farke for that.

14. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

They'll probably put Toney rather than Pukki, but Hanley and Buendia should be there for certain based on how often they have appeared in the team of the week.

15. RiverEndRick

They usually include two strikers, so it could be both Toney and Pukki.

16. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me if Pukki finished top scorer on current form. Start with a hat trick at Hillsborough?

RiverEndRick likes this.
  17. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Could Pritchard play the Beundia role? Is he still as good as he was with us about 4/5 years ago?

18. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

There's also Kieffer Moore at Cardiff with a rating of 7.68.

It bothers me that Teemu doesn't get credit for his defensive work; otherwise, his rating would be quite a bit higher.

19. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

20. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member