1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Science Discovery Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2. Joe_z

Joe_z Well-Known Member

Everything we currently can observe and more that we cannot. Ron Have a look at the Cosmic Microwave Background it gives you an idea of what went on. Alan Guth came up with the theory of cosmic inflation to explain the size as universe is approx 13.8 billion years old yet we can observe some 48 billion years out no matter what direction we look. They reckon there is more beyond our cosmic horizon but this is the current limit of the observable universe.

3. Joe_z

Joe_z Well-Known Member

Ron what we currently can observe in the universe is only 4% of what is out there. the remainder is being called dark matter and dark energy however we are unable to explain what this matter and energy consists of. It really is a bit of a mindnumbing experience trying to get your head around it.

4. Joe_z

Joe_z Well-Known Member

There are several theories out there for example if you look at the CMB there are temperature variances the cold spot could possibley be where two universes have collided this is where the multiverse comes from.

5. Joe_z

Joe_z Well-Known Member

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Interesting how they arrived at 4%. As if they know what it is 4% of. It is impossible to define the totality. There can be no boundaries. Otherwise there would be something else outside the boundaries. Just too mind boggling for me

7. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

That's a really interesting question Ron. And it's one that's been grappled with for ages. There are quite a number of theories on the subject but most cosmologists are inclined to think that there was nothing before the big bang. One of the favourites at the moment is described below. It's an excerpt from the Washington Post.

The theory posits that the universe materialized literally out of nothing. As Stephen Hawking puts it, in this theory the universe “would be neither created nor destroyed. It would just BE.” Physicists in this school point to a documented phenomenon known as quantum tunneling, in which very small particles appear in different places at the same time. This happens only to particles smaller than an atom. But since at the time of the big bang the entire universe was subatomic, the entire universe could have suddenly appeared where it had not been before.

8. Joe_z

Joe_z Well-Known Member

Ron the boundaries are always going to be there due to the ever expanding universe that is speeding up. The speeding up of the expansion is attributed to dark energy. It is reckoned that the galaxies we can observe is only 10% of what is actually out there. Flat space indicates an infinite universe.The question here is what is beyond our observation as what in my opinion is not considered in euclidean geometry used to deduce flat space is that if there is another 90% out there then we are unable to gather enough information on the distances currently used to come to this conclusion.

9. Joe_z

Joe_z Well-Known Member

Cyclonic another interesting one is parallel or multiverse. They are looking at the cold spot on the CMB being a possible coming together of ours and another. I really wish i had got into this subject when i was younger as my lack of knowledge and intellect frustrates the life out of me at times.

Ron and Cyclonic like this.
  10. Cyclonic

I love this stuff Joe, but like most, I know next to nothing about it all. As for the frustration, it's something we all have to live with, the best minds in the business are groping in the dark too.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Joe_z likes this.

11. Cyclonic

It's just 4% of what we can see Ron. In the 1960s a lady named Vera Rubin of the Carnegie Institution, and others, noticed that galaxies here circling each other at speeds that meant that they should be tearing themselves apart, but they weren't doing so. Something was holding or forcing them together. It seems this "dark matter" is everywhere. 68% of it is dark energy and 27% is a dark matter of some kind.

I don't know, maybe it's a force because while it's keeping the galaxies together, it's also expanding the universe.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's all guesswork isn't it. No-one can prove any theory is right but every now and then (with increasing frequency) something proves that a theory believed to be right is proved to be wrong. Such is my faith in any theory

When we are able to digitise a person and recreate that person somewhere else we will be in business. Beaming people all over the place ("Beam me up Scotty"). Another possibility is to transmit DNA to other Planets/Galaxies with some means of monitoring and controlling its development and activity. There must be a way that currently does not exist. It's just a matter of when

If the "Big Bang" was over 13bn years ago, I just can't accept that it has taken that long for any form of civilisation to form and that it just happened to be here. For all we know, DNA from and advanced Galaxy was sent here. Maybe GOD was an astronaut and he implanted DNA in Mary

And, if the Big Bang was over 13bn years ago, who's to say it was THE Big Bang. Maybe there were others before that

And, whilst I sit here, a swallow just flew in and decided to do a few laps of the kitchen before it went out again. Yesterday 2 swallows came in during dinner and put on a little flying display in the kitchen before making a swift exit (or rather swallow exit). And with that I'll get back to designing the next stage of a system for my daughter's business

Joe_z likes this.
  13. Cyclonic

I suppose just about every invention has been on the back of some theory or other. Theories have a pretty decent record.

As for the possibility of aliens being more advanced than us, it can't be discounted. But when you think that Earth is about 4.5 billion year old, and it's taken 3.5 billion years to get from the earliest life we've found here to reach where we are today, maybe it isn't too much of a stretch to believe even with the universe age at 13.7 billion years, that maybe we really are alone.

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I suspect ours isn't the first civilisation on this planet Cyc, unless Earth was unfit for civilisation that far back, in which case I suspect another planet (at least one) was in a habitable state and probably isn't now, or even extinct (as this planet will be in time). I believe that some "intelligence" has somehow found its way from an advanced former civilisation either from this planet or another and I wish I could be around to see that proven.

15. Cyclonic

Like you Ron, I think we'll all exit the world without an answer. Homo sapiens have been around for maybe 200,000 years and we still know next to nothing about we fit into the scheme of things. :)

16. Cyclonic

A week back, Amazon founder Jeff Bizos' space company Blue Origin launched it's New Shepard suborbital booster which carried NASA and other experiments. The launch to landing took just 10 minutes. It was Blue Origin's 11th launch. It's marvelous how they get these things done.

17. Cyclonic

18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

19. Cyclonic

Not the dynamics Ron, but the general gist of what it's all about. It's hard to get my head around how this supersonic, pressurized ice has to reach 4700 degrees Celsius before it can melt. It all goes to show how little we about what's out there.

20. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting thread, no doubt about that. I just wish the powerful people running the countries of this Earth would be more interested in, and start to pay attention to, to the well-being of our planet instead of making things worse and worse. Most of the major industrial nations just don't seem to give a **** about looking after our planet, and its leaders therefore having a similar attitude to the future health and well-being of the children and young people of today. Could hardly care less, in fact? :emoticon-0101-sadsm

redcgull and Cyclonic like this.