1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread The Saints Beating Leicester on Saturday 25th August at 15:00 Match Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saintmagic, Aug 21, 2018.

1. saintkeef

saintkeef Active Member

Hughes ou!!!

2. timatoketchup

timatoketchup Well-Known Member

Same ****, different season.

3. Bill Hill

Bill Hill Well-Known Member

As i feared not attacking enough at home yet again. Where is Gabb? Why 2 central midfielders who are better defensively than attacking. We have to go all out to beat these teams at home. Too easy for Burnley and Leicester.

4. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Reed and Krueger out

latviandream and MIsaints like this.
  5. saintkeef

saintkeef Active Member

There is no discernible change from last season so the Reed Krueger culture must be having a bearing?

6. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

It’s an incentive problem. You can turn a nothing situation into a near certain goal and/or a man advantage for the rest of the game. Why should you be able to do that? But as long as you can do that everyone will dive. Which they do. And which is rarely called.

At best you are only calling plays that you are certain are dives. In which case, what was the harm done? It was never in danger of fooling you or creating a fake goal. Otherwise you are calling borderline calls which means if you enforce the diving rule you can wreck them game either by awarding a silly pen or by sending someone off for a dive. All for a nothing play with a bit of contact.

Just stop giving pk’s And/or reds for every perceived foul in the box. Problem goes away.

40000thheadman likes this.
  7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Oh Pierre you silly boy... was right in front of us and was sure he dived straight away. Shame really as he had a really good game up until that point.

Plenty of positives in individual performances for me with Lemina, Long and Redmond having good games. Like the look of Vestergard too.

Great finish from Bertrand but very concerned about how quickly we switched off. Very poor and almost amateurish really. How did the second even go in as well btw?

8. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

If not the Reed Krueger culture, the Dunning-Kruger effect is.

9. saintkeef

saintkeef Active Member

Not just that though is it? We can't defend

10. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

A lot of you are an embarrassment. Hey behind the team!

We controlled the game until we scored, then had a funny 10mins where Cedric gifted a goal. PEH had a good game until he was sent off and our midfield actually controlled the ball and kept it.

The goal from my end looked a tad lucky.

On thing I will say is that McCarthy is no better than Forster and has the same flaws, won’t be too long for him to show once you negative bunch get on his back.

11. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

Two seasons of worse than mediocre performances aren’t turned round in 9 or so league matches. We are where we are because those who should have known better failed to manage the situation and made things worse by inaction and very poor decision making. Sparky has got his work cut out to get the job done and find a way of getting these guys to play with assertiveness and confidence. Anyone in his job would have the same problem. We’ll get better but not for a while yet in my view and points will not come easily or quickly. The end of the season will probably be no less stressful than the last but hopefully we just might turn a corner by Christmas and have a much better second half of the season, others have done the same in the past, so can we. Keep the faith as they say!

garysfc likes this.
  12. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

We had already given up a cheap goal, and Leicester started taking control of the game after that. Arguably we were lucky not to have been down 2-1 already.

So no, you cannot just blame it on the red. We have problems, and they are the same issues we saw last seaso, so it’s not just a fluke.

AshbySaint likes this.
  13. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

I thought we were very good for an hour. Maybe some of you are maybe overreacting...

14. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

Except that most of the posters on here spent the whole summer arguing that Hughes had turned the team around in less than 9 games. Suddenly, Hughes shouldn’t be held responsible for team performances anymore?

15. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

If we play as **** as last season... will Reed finally go?

16. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

That game was the exact opposite of the Everton defeat. But yet, we still lost.
    I'm annoyed and confused. Lets dig the pitch up and look for a blue shirt.

VocalMinority likes this.
  17. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

How much have you smoked today!?!? And I thought I was baked!

18. SootySaint

SootySaint Well-Known Member

I may have been watching a different game as I thought we played well in the first half and parts of the second. Hoijberg was an idiot for a stupid dive but played very well before it. Only thing I would change is Stephens for Cedric. He does not cross and every headed goal we concede is when it is crossed to him. Most of the attacking play came from the left and moi always played centrally so he is wasted.

19. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Valery Vestergaard Yoshida Bertrand
    Romeu Lemina
    Ely Armstrong Redmond
    Ings

Would like to see this side given a chance ASAP. Or if he’s sticking to 4-4-2, Gabbi and Ings instead of Long. I know he won some headers in the first half, but the guy is not PL class.
    Yoshida has to come in for Hoedt. The guy is useless. Wouldn’t mind seeing Valery given a chance at RB, as Cedric has been terrible for a calendar year now. I was surprised we let Pied’s contract expire, even more so after watching Cedric try and defend.

St.Kreuzberg likes this.
  20. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter how we played really when we still lost. We are so weak defensively it is crazy. Not quite as bad as last season, but still not that great

Cedric needs to be rested, guy has been poor last two games