1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Russell Martin debate thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Osvaldorama, Sep 19, 2023.

?

Martin out?

1. Right now, he's another Nathan Jones!

30.2%
  2. Give him one more game to see if he will actually play players in their right positions

4.0%
  3. Give him until next international break

30.2%
  4. Stick with him, he'll turn it round

35.7%
  1. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

We all know who they are. You don't need to name them. Lol

2. Libby

Libby 9-0

Indeed. Not too surprising either.

Which is why I find it frustrating when many more people are lumped in that category.

3. lewebster

lewebster Well-Known Member

But surely the same argument can be used regarding making a change...see Jones/Selles etc.

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

Different discussion but I still think it was shameful how Jones was treated by the fans. Was never given a chance.

5. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

In hindsight, the Brighton result was very significant. They still weren't considered all that great before the WC (11 points from 10 games going into the break), but after the season started up again was when they basically became the team they are today. At the time though the result was a real shocker to the fans, and a huge catalyst in Jones' downfall.

6. Jos Say No

Jos Say No Well-Known Member

Yeah absolutely, but I’d bet that over the course of the PL, most teams have been more successful replacing a manager in a bad slump than they have sticking with them.

My main point was that it’s pretty much an anomaly to name 3 managers in a 50 year span that have managed success just because they were persisted with and only really Arteta in the era of the PL being a business rather than a sport.

I’m still optimistic that someone can get a tune out of this team with the right tactics and at least fight for survival. I’ve seen enough of Martin’s to believe he isn’t the one to fix it.

Dell Boy likes this.
  7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah they went on to finish 6th.

It was literally his first game though. We lost 3-1 and made bad errors for two of the goals iirc so it wasn't the battering it was seen to be at the time.

Think his face didn't fit and people didn't like he was an old school type coach so didn't want to give him a chance. Polar opposite to Martin in a way as he's deemed a modern manager playing the 'right' way (hate that expression).

8. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Nah, we gave Nathan Jones a chance. The fact he blew it so quickly and so spectacularly is pretty impressive.

Really, he just started badly (Brighton and Forest were 2 of his first 3 games, 2 lf the worst home games id ever seen, following a 6-week break in which we appeared to get worse with no plan) and his whole media personality was the reason fans turned, not because his face didn't fit or fans didn't want him from day 1. We visibly got worse going into our "easiest" run of games that season.

Martin would've gone the same way in the same situation, 100%. Its a results based business, and he the Welsh wonder wasnt getting results and everything was just snowballing and getting worse under his watch.

9. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

When was the last time Saints won a league game ?

just curious as no wins this season so far ( all change today though ).

I’m just curious to know how many games since our last win .

10. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

In the PL? I think it was Leciester at home in March 2023.

Overall? Leeds away, final game of last season, not including the playoffs

11. lewebster

lewebster Well-Known Member

Same as Sturrock, except he actually statistically is one of our best Premier League managers. I wonder how we would have done if they had stuck with him?

12. Number 1 Jasper

sorry to be a pain . How many games is that ? Since Leeds ?

13. Libby

Libby 9-0

Well it was the last game of last season so however many we've played this. 6 I think?

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  14. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agreed. Although I did want Sturrock to be given more time, whereas I absolutely did not with Jones.

The frustrating thing is that in both cases we replaced them with a member of the coaching staff...and with both seasons ultimately leading to our only two PL relegations.

Obviously we can never know, but my guess is that we wouldn't have gone down in 2004-05 under Sturrock. We did so poorly under Wigley (9 points from 14 games as I posted the other day) and yet still managed to take the battle down to the final day under Harry. I'd like to think that Sturrock would have bettered what Wigley "achieved".

Toss saints likes this.
  15. Number 1 Jasper

Thanks Libby .

I read somewhere that it’s been something like 15 games since our last win .

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

Not 100% but I'd guess that that's Premier League games.

17. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

I've never been a great advocate of sacking managers, but in the case of RM I've held the same opinion since very early last season. All credit to him for coming in and forming a great team spirit and having a game plan that the players have bought into, but for me the possession at all costs style of play is boring, predictable and so, so easy to play against. He seems incapable of any sort of plan B and if and when we get relegated this season it will be exactly the same next season in the Championship.
    I'm also not convinced that the players have fully bought into Russ ball? Nice guy even 3 points today won't change my opinion.

18. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Whilst I sort of agree the Forest and Wolves games must be two of the worst performances I’ve seen by a Saints side in the last 15 years or so. Fans didn’t like him/want him, especially as when we appointed him Wolves and Villa who were both struggling got Lopetegui and Emery, so he needed a decent start or fans were going to turn quickly. Same as Martin really, loads of people calling for him to be sacked after the 2 losses in that 4 loss stretch we had at the start of last season. He obviously turned it round, but similar situation where lots of fans didn’t want him when he was hired. If we had lost to Leeds the atmosphere would’ve been very similar to when Jones was sacked I think

Last edited: Oct 5, 2024 at 1:54 PM
  19. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Part of the problem with Jones, other than him being terrible, and ostensibly making us even worse immediately after a long break which he worked with the players on, was that it was so, so obviously ****ing Ankersen trying to be clever.

LincolnSaint and Saints Fan4Life like this.
  20. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

The main problem with Jones was he was an A1 cock. I am a non violent person, but would have punched him the minute I was close enough to him.