1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Prediction League The Run In

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Mate, if you can't see we need a striker then I can't help you.

Agree we also need midfield reinforcement, but more a No.8 than one that creates.

We've got Casemiro, Eriksen and Fernandes for that, plus the multiple wide players.

We need holding or BtB midfielder.

2. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Agree to a point but I think the lack of productivity from our midfield is down to the fact that they are having to join the hunt for goals rather than supply an actual striker or two. We have three of the best midfield players in the world right now in Bruno, Eriksen and Casemiro, what we don't have is a striker for them to play to, we always have to play wide instead.

3. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Chief made that point too and I think that it validates that we first have a system problem as opposed to a lack of striker problem. If the manager knows that we don’t have a good striker, then he must develop a system to compensate for that lack. Arsenal is perhaps the best illustration of why a classic number 9 is not always a requisite to score goals.

Also, if the ball is played wide, what exactly do those wide players do with the ball? The right side especially is wasted largely because the players simply haven’t settled in there. We have talented players in Sancho and Antony, but they both haven’t produced enough to help. Sancho, I would argue, has better football brain than most of the other players in the team, but the setup hasn’t really favoured him.

This is why I would say that we have more work to do on the system than simply throwing in a striker thinking that it will by itself solve the bigger problem of an ineffective midfield. Yes, I can see a scenario whereby a new striker could galvanize re-adaptation of the dull system.

glazerfodder and Diego like this.
  4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

We're creating a tonne of chances every game so there's nothing wrong with the system.

Let's at least try it with a CF before we write it off. Just a thought like.

Diego likes this.
  5. glazerfodder

Anyone got Ibra's phone number

Diego likes this.
  6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I think you are arguing everyone else's point for them here.
    Yes we tend to play out wide to the wingers who then either take it to the byline then have to cut it back or recycle it because there is no focal point to hit (striker) but we also come unstuck trying to play passes through the middle because there is no focal point to find (striker) .
    If we had a focal point (striker) then the wingers might get some joy putting crosses in we would need to move Antony to the left though and the creative midfielders would have somebody to find with the defence splitting passes they are capable of (ie the striker).
    We would also have a man capable of holding the ball up and releasing players running into the area from midfield or out wide (the striker).

You may have noticed I mentioned the word STRIKER a lot in this post this is because one would make a big difference to the way we could play. I say the way we "could play" because I believe on the whole a team with intelligent players should be allowed to use their vision to play the attacking game ahead of system based, systems are a bit more important when out of possession obviously.

glazerfodder likes this.
  7. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I definitely see that scenario that a top striker would help transform the way the team plays in the middle of the park. But I get stuck when I think of the recent history.

The contradiction may come from thinking that a classic target man will change the play pattern is that we had CR in that central role for parts of the season and we struggled when he played. Sure, it can be argued that CR simply didn’t produce. But when he didn’t play, the team developed better strategy to compensate for the lack of front man and subsequently thrived which actually led to Rashford, a midfielder, picking up steam and the system thrived from there.

The common trend under ETH is that every striker has actually failed. When we have clicked, it has always been from the midfield as opposed to a direct target man. The case with CR and others that have played in that role (albeit questionable players) directly suggests that ETH doesn’t necessarily like to setup the system for “A” target man which is not surprising considering we brought in 3 midfielders in the summer.

Also, it could well be part of the transitioning process to start building from the back, fix the midfield and then the forward position. This will suggest that we have more work to do in the that midfield than full on focus on a striker.

Diego likes this.
  8. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Newcastle draw so naturally we're going to fck up our result now. We know how this works. Already looking toothless up front.

9. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Good luck guise.

No really

Treble likes this.
  10. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Still touch and go for us to get top 4. We are too unreliable. FFS how many chances did we need to score one? Garnacho scored right at the death when wolves had given up. We will need the retarded scousers to draw one of their games.

Treble likes this.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Didn't see the game but listening to it yeh it's just bollox. Chance after chance wasted. At one point it was like 20 shots, so probably had a bit more than that. I wonder whether they actually do any shooting practice!

Thank fck Garnacho is back.

12. Sucky

Not to worry you but wolves played like they were on holidays already.

Was annoying to watch for me

Treble likes this.
  13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yeh I'm hoping Bournemouth Chelsea and Fulham are on the beach n' all <laugh>

cytrax, Sucky and Diego like this.
  14. Sucky

Easy 3 pts against the chavs, they are so bad.
    Bournemouth and Fulham are the ones who may cause an upset imo

15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I just looked up the table lol. Bournemouth are safe now. Fulham can't get into Europe (maybe Mitro will looking for revenge?) But I think they will do fck all.

Meanwhile those chav ****s have started goals again.

Sucky likes this.
  16. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Chelsea players will be playing for their future with their next manager watching too.

17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It is quite ironic that I posted this a few weeks ago, and we're now in a situation where we will probably be fighting it out for Top 4 right up to the final game, meanwhile City will win the league by this weekend and have a nice 2 week cushion. Fcking jokes <doh>

18. glazerfodder

As I said earlier in the season our crappy goal difference could come back to haunt us.

19. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

It could well, aye!

Not that we need a striker or anything of course.

Given we've a four point lead with three games go though, if we do end up blowing this then I'd reckon it's defensive/mental frailties in losing to Brighton and West Ham by the odd goal that will end up costing us more than anything.

It'll be a big combination of many factors tbf.

Irrelevant though, we won't ****ing blow it!!

Diego likes this.
  20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Just beat Bournemouth on Saturday.

Leicester's result today means Bournemouth are now safe.

We have to go out there with intent and hopefully they'll be on their hols. Maybe start with Garnacho... although he may have more impact coming on from the bench.

Diego likes this.