1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The RIP Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by durbar2003, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

I thought it was harmless stuff, the white racist bloke was always the plonker

ELLERS and Didley Squat like this.
  2. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

I guess it depends if you were a black person watching it at the time I guess……
    I knew no better and thought it was hilarious….now I’m not so sure

Didley Squat likes this.
  3. Goldhawk-Road

In a way, it played it's part to where we are now - the black guy was intelligent and reasonable, the white racist was a neanderthal. That's how I remember it

4. Staines R's

To be honest, I don’t think your average white, British TV viewer would have been thinking the same at the time. Casual racism and sexism was ingrained into our society at the time.
    I’m not getting all “Woke” but saying it how it was. Looking back it was appalling.

Rangers Til I Die likes this.
  5. Goldhawk-Road

I agree about the casual racism generally, in the Sixties and Seventies. But I think this program and Til Death US Do Part, were an attempt to diffuse the situation, and make the racists look idiots.

6. Staines R's

I agree that’s what the programme might have set out to do…..however I do feel that message was quite probably lost on the vast majority of the public at the time.

sb_73 likes this.
  7. Goldhawk-Road

Couldn't say. I expect it passed over the head of the determined casual racist

Staines R's likes this.
  8. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

I saw an interview with Rudolf Walker who went on his career in east Enders, he was saying he never thought it racist because he always came out on top and looking good as opposed to the white character. He was annoyed it got banned cause he never received repeats money

UTRs, ELLERS, kiwiqpr and 1 other person like this.
  9. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

10. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

11. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

RIP Steve. 'Arry spoke well of him and he played his part in our promotions those years.

ELLERS likes this.
  12. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Nice to know he recognized joeys greatness

13. Hammersmith reborn

Hammersmith reborn Well-Known Member

What an utter prick Barton is, even in a eulogy he managed to make it about him. One horrible ****

14. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Something he did recognize

What I noticed about the QPR supporters is they understand when you’re committed, they understand when the team has an emotion to it, they understand when the team has an intensity to it, they understand when the team has a desire to it, and they respond to that."

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  15. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Gary Brooker of Procul Harum dies at 76. Many great songs and a Whiter Shade of Pale was a game changer way back in 1967. Mr Brooker had a really nice, grown up voice which got better with age, in my opinion. RIP.

I love this version, but also the King Curtis sax cover which plays over the intro to Withnail and I.

They acknowledged the rather large debt to JS Bach.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    rangercol, SW Ranger, UTRs and 10 others like this.
  16. Hammersmith reborn

Hammersmith reborn Well-Known Member

17. Hoop-Leif

Hoop-Leif Well-Known Member

18. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Nicely posted, sb.
    I was about to post this 2006 live version of ‘Whiter Shade of Pale’ when l saw you had already done so, thanks.

19. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image
    IMAGE SOURCE,EPA
    Screaming Trees frontman and former Queens of the Stone Age member Mark Lanegan has died aged 57.

The American singer-songwriter died at his home in Killarney, Ireland, a statement on his Twitter account said.

During his career he collaborated with musicians including Kurt Cobain, PJ Harvey, Isobel Campbell and Moby.

Last year, he was in hospital for months after contracting Covid, and was put into a medically-induced coma.

No cause of death has been given.

A statement said: "Our beloved friend Mark Lanegan passed away this morning at his home in Killarney, Ireland.

"A beloved singer, songwriter, author, and musician he was 57 and is survived by his wife Shelley."

Born in Washington state in 1964, Lanegan joined Screaming Trees in the 1980s and went on to produce eight studio albums until the group's split in 2000.

He first appeared on Queens of the Stone Age's Rated R album in 2000, lending his voice and songwriting talent to several songs, and also performed on their breakout album Songs for the Deaf.

He later formed The Gutter Twins with Afghan Whigs vocalist Greg Dulli and also recorded several solo albums.

In 2020, he published a memoir called Sing Backwards And Weep, which covered everything from "addiction to touring, petty crime, homelessness and the tragic deaths of his closest friends" - among them Nirvana's Kurt Cobain and Alice in Chains' Layne Staley.

IMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES
    Image caption,
    Mark Lanegan (centre back) with Queens of the Stone Age in 2005
    Image caption,
    Alongside Scottish singer Isobel Campbell at Latitude Festival in Suffolk
    Image caption,
    Performing with Screaming Trees in 1993
    Figures from the world of music and entertainment paid tribute to Lanegan.

Addressing his late bandmate, Screaming Trees drummer Mark Pickerel said he hoped "the angels are taking good care of you today".

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.View original tweet on Twitter
    Founding member of the Velvet Underground John Cale said "I can't process this" at the news, adding: "Mark Lanegan will always be etched in my heart - as he surely touched so many with his genuine self, no matter the cost, true to the end."

Iggy Pop, one of Lanegan's key influences, described himself as a "fan" and expressed his "deepest respect".

Moby, who collaborated with the singer on the 2013 track The Lonely Night, paid tribute to his "old friend", adding: "More and more the best are no longer with us."

The Manic Street Preachers, who worked with Lanegan on their latest album The Ultra Vivid Lament, tweeted that they were devastated by the news, describing him as a "huge talent on so many levels", with an amazing voice, "all those beautiful words" and a "unique artistic vision".

Locals in Killarney also expressed their sense of loss. Councillor and pub landlord Niall O'Callaghan said it was a tight-knit community and everyone was sad to hear of the singer's death

"For a man of the stature of Mark Lanegan, it was a real honour that he chose to live in Killarney," he said.

Didley Squat, Uber_Hoop and Hoop-Leif like this.
  20. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Yep. A really good rock voice. So many of these came through in the 60s and 70s.

RIP.