1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Review Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, May 27, 2017.

1. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I just watched the first episode Steels and I have to say that having not read any of the books I didn't really have a clue what was going on. My wife and son, who have both actually read the books, explained some stuff to me, but I really shouldn't have needed that help, should I? Despite all that, and thanks to the wonderful production values, I really enjoyed it.

Ninj and Steelmonkey like this.
  2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

I can see how you could be confused, hopefully it'll start to make some sense for you in the coming episodes. I really enjoyed it too - did you catch the program on BBC4 afterwards, where Alan Yentob met Phillip Pullman? Really interesting

imagine..., Winter 2017/18: 4. Philip Pullman: Angels and Daemons: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09vdpzw via @bbciplayer

3. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Just finished watching ‘Murder in Soho - Who killed Freddie Mills.
    Tells the rise and fall of the World Champion boxer who was found dead in his car by gunshot wound in 1965. Investigates whether Mills was murdered (most likely) or took his own life.
    Also mentioned the claim that Mills was possibly responsible for the ‘Hammersmith nude murders’

A fascinating documentary and well worth a watch.

4. Stroller

I saw that a while back mate (and posted something about it on here). It really was a fascinating documentary and I'm convinced that he was murdered. It was the 'Jack the Stripper' stuff that I found most remarkable though, because I was surprised I'd never heard of the case before. The suggestion that Mills was responsible seems extremely far-fetched and it remains Britain's biggest unsolved serial killer case.

Staines R's likes this.
  5. Staines R's

I must of missed that somehow Strolls, I’ll definitely pay more attention next time as it was really interesting and a subject I knew very little about. I had heard of the ‘Jack The Stripper’ murders and now thinking it might of been from you and this thread.
    Seems without a shadow of a doubt he was murdered.

6. Stroller

Post 1141 on this thread, mate. I put in a link to an article about the Hammersmith murders.

7. Staines R's

Got it mate (Good post btw) Dunno why I didn’t see the doc at the time. Read a bit about the murders and didn’t realise one of the body’s was found on Boston Manor Road which i use regularly as it’s where Hanwell Ambulance Station is and not far from Ealing Hospital

8. Steelmonkey

So, as is usual in the run-up to Christmas, I've got a pile of gigs to go to. Thursday night we were at SWG3 in Glasgow to see Dublin post-punk band Fontaines DC. Now, their album is great and was nominated for the Mercury prize, so was expecting good things. Unfortunately, I left a little disappointed....the band were good, but there was very little interaction with the crowd, who seemed a bit flat. I'm not a big fan of this new venue, a converted warehouse in an industrial part of the city, and although it's got some good smaller rooms where lesser known bands play, the larger room where this gig was felt devoid of atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the show, especially the three new tracks they played which have definate Joy Division influence but think I was expecting more.

Last night we were at the Queen Margaret University student union to see Fat White Family - wow! One of tee best gigs of the year, a total upgrade on the previous evening. I'd not seen them before, but the missus has, and it was total chaos - they were on stage, smacked out of their faces, stripped naked and waving their cocks at the crowd. Moving on a couple of years, amd they've really cleaned up their act, both on and off stage. Their latest album is quite mellow compared to their older material so wasn't sure how this would transfer to the live act - I needn't have worried - they went straight into their high-energy post-punk/experimental rock back catalogue, blasting out some great tunes and whipping the crowd up - I think the singer, Lias, took about two minutes into the first tune to start crowd surfing whilst singing (looked like a nightmare for the security bods!). He spent a fair amount of the gig being passed around above everyones heads, returning to the stage to swig down his Buckfast. My wife said they were a hundred times better than the last time she saw them, and the QMU is a much better venue too. If you like your music raucous and high energy, I'd fully recommend them - their politics are a bit hard-left which may put some off, but if you aren't bothered by that then check them out on Spotify or YouTube. Special mention to the support act as well, The Yummy Fur, who were also very good.

We're off to the Hydro on Monday, the largest indoor venue in Glasgow, to see Bjork perform her Cornucopia show - having listened to the setlist, think there will be a lot of visuals as it sounds quite operatic in parts.......

9. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

please log in to view this image

that should get men through the doors
    maybe its just a **** movie

Steelmonkey likes this.
  10. Steelmonkey

I've been to some strange gigs over the years, but Monday night and Bjorks' Cornucopia show has to top them all....I'm still not sure what I witnessed, and am a bit confused as to whether I actually enjoyed it!

Started off being ushered into the arena and being told all photography was banned - not a problem for me, I usually snap one or two pics during a set as a reminder, but can't stand these idiots who watch a whole concert through their phone screen (people chatting through gigs is another of my pet hates....). Got to our seats - I'd paid £75 each, so they were excellent - and the stage was all set with a big curtain of ropes and artwork from the Utopia album.

At the beginning of the concert, an Icelandic choir (which Bjork was a member of when she was 16) came on and performed what I guess were traditional Icelandic songs in an Acappella style. As my grasp of Icelandic is limited to Bjorks name, I didn't have a clue what was going on, and it reminded me of the film Midsommer (pagan ritualistic horror set in Sweden - recommended). I thought they were just an intro, but performed for 20 minutes - they were very good, although I don't think I'll be rushing out to get the CD!

Eventually, the choir left stage, and on came Bjork, wearing an outfit that wouldn't look out of place in Logans Run. Utopia is an album where Bjork challenges the issues of climate change, and she has said that the Cornucopia show is her ideas on how the world can deal with this issue. She envisions a possible “postapocalyptic” future where “plants, birds and humans will merge into a new mutant species,” - yes, it's very sci-fi. The music was accompanied by some very abstract, and at times disturbing, visuals.

A septet of flautists danced around the stage as if they were birds, whilst a harpist plucked away. The strangest percussion set-up I've seen, looked.like a giant fish tank with floating domes which the drummer hit in rythym whilst splashing water on them (it had a mesmerising effect). Bjork regularly disappeared into an echo-chamber that was located at the side of the stage to add depth to some of her vocals. I must admit, she has a wonderdul voice, one of the best female singers I've seen live, very powerful, and at times the choir rejoined her on stage for backing vocals.

At the end of her set, prior to her encore, a video played, featuring a great speech by Greta Thunberg which got a rousing reception, and then Bjork returned with an even crazier outfit on, all feathers and spikes! Last couple of tunes, and then "Goodnight Glasgow, thank you".....I looked at the missus, and we both said "What the ****?!?!" <laugh>

Having written this, I've decided I did enjoy the show, a definate once in a lifetime experience and not one for the casual gig-goer. She's only doing a couple of UK shows, and there were a lot of out-of-towners in the audience.

I'd definately go to see her again, but only if she's doing a "hits" show. I thought Kate Bush at Hammersmith a couple of years back was hard work at times but that show was a struggle!! Still, the rest of the gigs this year will be a breeze in comparission!

kiwiqpr, Stroller, UTRs and 1 other person like this.

11. Steelmonkey

Three more gigs....

Last Saturday, the bi-annual Shed Seven tour hit town at the O2 Academy, a converted theatre/picture house. Indie pop at it's finest, I've seen them many times and they never disappoint. A set full of great sing-a-long tunes, which the crowd belted out in full voice - there can't be many experiences in the music scene that beat playing to a packed out venue full of pissed up Glaswegians on a Saturday evening! As always, they were on top form.

Tuesday night, and the gig we were all looking forward to the most - IDLES at The Barrowlands! This gig sold out so quick that they had to add on another night on the Monday, which my son had also been too - and said it was the best of his life.....The Barras is probably my favourite venue in town (or anywhere in fact) an old ballroom thats been converted into a music venue, but still has a lovely bouncy wooden floor, low ceiling with great acoustics and a great feeling of nostalgia as you see posters from old bands that have played there.

IDLES brand of post-punk brings high energy music with a social and political slant to the lyrics, with subjects ranging from womens rights and homophobia to Brexit and mental health. They get the crowd whipped up, creating one of the largest mosh-pits I've seen at an indoor gig, and the whole show went along at 100mph. During the show, Joe Talbot, the singer chats along with the crowd, and brought several members of the audience up on stage with him - including on lad who had held up a sign asking if he could play drums for them! Cue an impromptu change of drummer and a smashed out version of Divide and Conquer. Not content with singer getting all the glory, two of the gutarists crowd surf whilst playing to at least a couple of songs. The set finished with them getting both the support acts back on stage for Rottweiler, a song about The Sun (to quote - "don't read The Sun, it'll give you cancer!!")

Now, I've been gigging for a long time, and that was definately up there with one of the best I've seen. I overheard a conversation outside where the fella (who was obviously older than me....) said he was expecting it to be good, but it was the best he'd seen since The Clash in The Appollo in 1981, so it's not just me that thought they were brilliant. IDLES must be one of the best live bands around at the moment, fully recommended, a definate 10/10 gig experience.

Wednesday night, full circle and back to SWG3, and a complete change of gear for some shoegaze rock with Ride. I'd last seen them at Reading festival in 1992, and although they disbanded in the mid nineties, they reformed two years ago and have released two album since, retaining the powerful guitars and introducing some electronics to the music. They were very good, mixing a lot of their early material with some of the new stuff. Lots of people shuffling about, and quite a few goth looking people too!

That was my 7th gig in fourteen days, so fairly wiped out - time to put my gigging shoes away for a couple of weeks!!

12. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned, I haven’t the patience to look, but there’s a really good Proclaimers documentary on iPlayer BBC4. Fascinating stuff.

Steelmonkey likes this.
  13. Steelmonkey

It"s been doing the rounds on BBC Scotland for a couple of months - it's really good!

14. Stroller

Yeah, I watched it. Very good.

15. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Has war of the world's been on yet

16. Steelmonkey

I watched one episode.....didn't really grab me, and after what you said I couldn't be bothered to watch the other two!

kiwiqpr likes this.
  17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

The Irishman, on Netflix.

If Goodfellas didn’t exist I’d probably think this was brilliant, but it feels like a last hurrah for a bunch of old blokes, and the de-aging technology, despite the expense, can’t make an old man walk or move like a young man. Joe Pesci and Al Pacino put in great performances. De Niro his usual po faced self, a hugely overrated actor. Three and a half hours of Scorsese’s world of sin, guilt, violence, no real redemption, women as shadows at best and zero humour.

All oddly old fashioned, but still of course streets ahead of most new films.

I’m glad this thread is still ticking over.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  18. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I had a few days away with Mrs Nines a few weeks ago in York. A lovely little break and the first time we've been away together since the kids have grown up. (16 &17) It was like going back in time with old traditional boozers and a bit of history and a nice Christmas market. There are lots of places to eat and can recommend Delrio's, a fine Italian basement restaurant near Micklegate. Superb and very reasonably priced with excellent service. We stayed in the Elmbank Hotel, although very nice and traditional was a bit of a stroll into town but had fine views of the York racecourse home strait.

If you book early enough the fare is first-class £50 and it's two hours non-stop from Kings Cross to York.

The only downside was that we couldn't get entry to York Minster as it had been by the university graduates for the week.

sb_73, Stroller, Steelmonkey and 2 others like this.
  19. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I really like de Niro, but agree that he’s always de Niro in movies. Same with Michael Caine, but can’t help loving the bloke. Hey, it is Michael Caine after all.

It’s hard these days to name an actor whose performance makes you forget you’re watching old so-and-so doing his stuff again.

sb_73 likes this.
  20. Steelmonkey

Father Ted Christmas Special on C4 tonight - I'd forgotten how feckin hilarious this is <laugh> 8 priests trying to escape from a department store lingerie department whilst Father Jack is in the kids play area <laugh>

kiwiqpr likes this.