1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Review Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, May 27, 2017.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Gin is the trendy thing in the UK now, seem to be hundreds of small distilleries set up, very hipsterish. My wife has a collection of them, but I don't drink spirits anymore, and only ever drank gin in rare and specific circumstances.

2. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

My Dad used to swear that Holland Gin would always cure a stiff back!

I enjoy gin & tonic water on ice with a slice of lemon & lime. I would highly recommend Gin Thuya for your wife.

Compared to the cheaper UK gins (Gordon's etc.) this stuff is pure nectar.

Didley Squat likes this.
  3. Kilburn

My Dad, perhaps an early hipster, in his wine cellar in 1964, actually a side extension room onto the garage.

We could buy those empty oak sherry casks for a pound to finish our wines in, prior to bottling.

upload_2017-9-4_16-38-35.png

4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

He only needs a beard to make hipster, he's got the threads.

Did your family take baths in elderberry wine? Or were you all very thirsty?

5. Kilburn

It all started after our cherry plum tree, that always flowered, but never bore fruit, produced a bumper crop and my Dad's good friend Cyril Berry, who published many books on wine and beer making, suggested he show us how to make wine from the fruit. As a family we would emark on excursions into the countryside to pick fruit - elderberries, sloes (for sloe gin) etc. The Elder is interesting as a white wine (that has a distinctive cat pee smell, not taste), can be produced from elderflowers and a deep red/purple wine from elderberries.

As a youngster most Sunday mornings meant a trip over to Cyril Berry's to see what he was up to, with tastings of his fine wines on the go - great as a 10 year old, no alcohol problems here. I recall on one visit his olive green painted concrete garage floor was now purple after he broke a 10 gallon glass carboy of bilberry wine (very fragile when full to any contact, as was the case here).

Back to our wine cellar / garage extension, this is where our white bull terrier, Kim, would stay in his box/bed when we went away on a day trip - he was contained here out of the house. Well, after one such trip we returned to find his box floating in wine - he got bored and pulled the bung out of a 20 gallon cask of citrus wine (expensive wine as fruit was bought rather than country picked). Kim attempted to clean up the mess he created by lapping up the spilt wine, so he was a totally drunk dog.

kiwiqpr and Tramore Ranger like this.
  6. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Thats all my Mum ever drank, G & T.

7. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

After nearly 40 years, l've stopped drinking bourbon, ( because of the cola factor )...... so 6 weeks ago, l started drinking gin & tonic and l'm getting by not drinking soft drinks anymore with exception of the little sugar in tonic water.
    Sometimes, l just have it with lightly air rated spring water with a dash of bitters or lemon.
    The joy of getting older and having to adapt for the sake of trying to look after oneself.
    Such is life.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Tramore Ranger likes this.
  8. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

I can recommend going onto the Amazon website - looking up the product Veet For Men (a liquid hair remover) and reading the product reviews. Some are very funny indeed.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Tramore Ranger likes this.
  9. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Must admit I've developed a taste for Gin, whilst we were away a few weeks ago the ship we were on had a Gin Bar, something like 25 different Gins, my favourite was an elderflower gin with elderflower tonic.....

Kilburn likes this.
  10. West London Willy

West London Willy Well-Known Member

Romance With A Double Bass is a lovely little film, one of John Cleese’s first performances after he opted out of Monty Python’s fourth season of Flying Circus.

Based on Anton Chekhov’s short story “Roman’s Kontrabasom”, this comedy short tells the tale of Smychkov, a musician hired to play double bass at the wedding of Count Alexei to his reluctant bride, the Princess Constanza. Arriving at the castle early on a hot day, Smychkov is sent packing until the ceremony. He strolls the grounds, and decides to cool off by taking a dip in the lake. Unbeknownst to him, the Princess is also in the lake, looking to retrieve a valuable fishing float.

When their clothes are stolen, both are left naked and in some dilemma. After a predictable embarrassing meeting, they realise that only by working together and using the case of Smychkov’s double bass as concealment, can they get across the grounds and into the castle without creating the massive scene both fear. It’s a good job Smychkov didn’t play the triangle…

please log in to view this image

Cleese and then-wife Connie Booth deliver great performances, scattered with typical Cleese lunacy here and there amid an increasingly complex journey towards clothed safety. And the film is actually surprisingly innocent and naive, considering both Cleese and Booth spend at least eighty percent of the film naked. Of course, nobody can spend that much time naked on film without a little attraction, and so …

The supporting cast are good value for the minimal time they spend on screen, however this is really a vehicle for the two leads.

Running at around 40 minutes, it’s well worth looking up, whether you want to enjoy the comedy, whether you relish the sight of John Cleese’s buttocks and a very full frontal Connie Booth, or even whether you are a die-hard fan of Anton Chekhov screen adaptations …

11. Kilburn

Our white elderflower wine seemed to have a disturbing cat fee odour when fermenting, but thankfully not in the taste. We also made elderberry wine that was quite the family effort teasing all the tiny e berries off their storks with a comb. A brewery here makes an excellent elderberry flavoured beer.

Sloe gin is very easy to make now for Christmas drinking.. Not sure if you have sloes growing (blackthorn?) over there, but as a family we would go out into the countryside and pick them this time of year (very sour, wouldn't eat), prick them with a needle and place in large kilner jars with a little sugar and gin, then shake jars each day and by December you could remove the berries in a filter to just leave the clear delicious purple liquid - Sloe Gin, very nice, so easy to make.

12. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Kilburn likes this.
  13. Kilburn

G&T - great for keeping the malaria at bay in the colonies.

14. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Has anyone got any good or favourite phone apps?

Here's mine. My back garden is on the flightpath to and from Heathrow. I'd often sit there and watch the aircraft fly overhead and wonder where they're off to or where they've come from. Now I can find out. It's an app called 'Flightradar 24.' It shows you a map with your location and airplane icons of those near you. In fact it shows you every single flight over the whole globe. You can also look-up individual flights, which is handy when going to pick someone up from the airport. You can track their flight and time your pick up without any unnecessary hanging around. You can even go to 3D and see the inside of the cockpit simulated view.
    I know it sounds a bit geeky but I like it and I'm not an aviation enthusiast. Here's some screenshots and a link to their web page ...

https://www.flightradar24.com/51.35,-0.2/11

Description
    “The Facebook of Aviation” — Wall Street Journal
    #1 app in over 130 countries
    Turn your iPhone or iPad into a live flight tracker and see planes around the world move in real-time on a detailed map. Or point your device at a plane to find out where it’s going and what kind of aircraft it is. Download for free today and discover why millions are already tracking flights and checking flight status with Flightradar24.

•Watch aircraft move around the world in real-time
    •Identify flights overhead & see flight information—including a photo of the actual aircraft—by simply pointing your device at the sky
    •See what the pilot of an aircraft sees in 3D
    •Tap on a plane for flight details such as route, estimated time of arrival, actual time of departure, aircraft type, speed, altitude, high-resolution photos of the actual aircraft & more.
    •See historical data & watch playback of past flights
    •Tap on an airport icon for arrival & departure boards, flight status, aircraft on the ground, current delay stats, & detailed weather conditions
    •Search for individual flights using flight number, airport, or airline
    •Filter flights by airline, aircraft, altitude, speed, & more
    •Get a detailed list of all flights in the air in your area on your Apple Watch

Flightradar24 is a free app and includes all the above features. If you want even more great features from Flightradar24 | Flight Tracker there are two upgrade options—Silver & Gold—and each comes with a free trial.

15. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Goal Live. IPhone app. Free.

IMG_0182.JPG

Some idiot Leicester City fan recommended it to me. Set up alerts for any club you want, from what I can see anywhere in the world, and it pings you with line ups, goals etc. It's incredibly fast, much faster than BBC/Sky etc, frequently you get pinged with a goal and then five seconds later with a 'goal disallowed' note. Downside, if you have an Apple Watch, is that it pings through to there as well, so at certain times of the weekend (I have four teams which I follow) you can get repetitive strain injury of the wrist (that's my excuse anyway).

QPR999 likes this.
  16. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Poxy Leicester fans. Sounds similar to the Sky Sports Football app. I'll download it anyway.

17. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

Just downloaded this, what a great app - cheers.

QPR999 likes this.
  18. Lawrence Jacoby

Lawrence Jacoby Well-Known Member

Do not think the new Alien film is very good
    It's a prequel yet the tech is more advanced than the original Alien

19. Kilburn

20. West London Willy

West London Willy Well-Known Member

If you've not seen it, watch Hidden Figures. It's excellent.