1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Review Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, May 27, 2017.

1. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

She was wonderful in Beast, too.

2. Stroller

In a bit of a coincidence as I posted about this case a few days ago, there's a documentary on BBC4 tomorrow about a suspect for the 'Jack the Stripper' murders in 1960s West London. To quote the criminology professor whose work this programme was based on 'This is the biggest unsolved serial murder case in British criminal history with a killer who's even more prolific than Jack the Ripper'.

Remarkable that it's not a better known case.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...in/ar-BBTqVhS?MSCC=1549911645&ocid=spartandhp

Steelmonkey and sb_73 like this.
  3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I was about to paste the same story, in the Times today. Still bizarre that this is such a little known story.

Stroller likes this.
  4. DT’s Socks

DT’s Socks Well-Known Member

No that was a classic film imo

kiwiqpr likes this.
  5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

It’s a long flight to Dallas but American Airlines premium economy was very comfy.

I was hoping that Stan and Ollie, the Favourite, or Mary Queen of Scots would be on the movie menu but none were. Nearly watched the new thing with Richard E Grant but it didn’t inspire me. After scrolling through the immense film list several times finally went for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (‘who are those guys?’) and the All the Presidents Men which were of course both brilliant. I must be getting old, I couldn’t face CGI, gross out comedy, rom com, heart rending personal drama, utterly dark social drama, or horrific crime drama, which seems to cover a lot of modern filmmaking.

6. Stroller

A little warning for anyone who might be going to Wembley to watch Tottenham (not sure if it applies to other games/events). A mate went there last week to see the Tottenham v Dortmund game and as he was going from work, had a rucksack with him. As he got to the gate, he was told that he couldn't bring the bag in with him (no searching the bag, you just can't bring it in). When he asked what he was supposed to do with it, he was directed to a kind of marquee 5 minutes walk away, where he was forced to pay a tenner (!), to leave his bag. He was also advised that he should get back early to pick it up, as there could be a wait of up to 2 hours! He consequently left 10 minutes early and missed two goals. What a ****ing outrage!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    kiwiqpr, Tramore Ranger and Uber_Hoop like this.
  7. DT’s Socks

Recommend Figueres always a wonderful little gem of a place. Excellent Tapas and good shopping. Dalí town and really worth a visit

sb_73 likes this.
  8. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Waiting for Godot is coming here in may
    Is it worth going to

9. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Who is in it?

I’m sure you can catch a version on you tube or something. Have a look. It’s an acquired taste. I think it’s genius but wouldn’t really call it entertainment, and I can probably survive a couple of decades between viewings.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  10. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Last night saw the launch of the new BBC Scotland channel, the corporation has spent £32M on the new station to provide a regional focus on news and entertainment. Personally, don't think it will attain great viewing figures, even with flagship shows like Still Game (premiered the first episode of the final season last night - still good for a laugh), and aiming at the younger audience with Burnistoun (one of the best Scottish comedy sketch shows).

Anyway, hidden at the end of last nights shows was a fabulous documentary - Nae Pasaran. The program will appeal to some of you guys (I'm thinking Stan and Stroller especially....) it covers a period in the mid 70s in the aftermath of the military coup in Chile, and the actions of a few union members in the Rolls Royce factory in East Kilbride, who managed to ground Pinochets' air force with their actions.....

"Forty years after their peaceful act of solidarity, Scottish factory workers discover the incredible impact of their action.

In Scotland in 1974 Bob Fulton, a Rolls-Royce engine inspector, returns to his section, upset and anxious. He's just told his colleagues that a Chilean Air Force jet engine has arrived in the factory for maintenance and he's refusing to let it go through, in protest against the recent military coup of General Pinochet. He’s seen the images of people packed into football stadiums and the Chilean Air Force jets bombing Santiago, and now one of the engines from those very same planes is right there, waiting for inspection. He can see his supervisors approaching, he knows he’s about to be fired yet he feels a responsibility.

The Chilean coup, on the 11 September 1973, was a landmark of the Cold War. The first democratically-elected left-wing president in Latin America, Salvador Allende, was brutally overthrown by the Chilean Armed Forces, which surrounded and attacked the presidential palace where Allende and his staff refused to surrender.

Allende died that day and the dictatorship that followed claimed thousands of lives, with many still disappeared. Hundreds of thousands of Chileans were sent into exile. The images of the Hawker Hunter air raid during the Chilean coup, caught by documentary film-makers, traveled the world. When the Scottish workers saw the TV images, they recognised the planes and knew immediately they had worked on the same engines. The Hawker Hunter was one of Britain’s most exported military aircrafts, with over 20 air forces flying them. All of them were powered by the same engine - the Rolls-Royce Avon.

By the 1970s, all Avon engines were repaired in the same factory - Rolls-Royce East Kilbride. With nowhere else to go for maintenance, the workers' action could potentially be devastating for the Chilean Air Force.

The boycott of Chilean engines at the Rolls-Royce factory was a minor cause celebre. The workers kept the boycott going for four years, leaving the engines to rust at the back of the factory, until one night when the engines mysteriously disappeared. The workers were told their actions had been meaningless.

Forty years later, they reunite to discover the true impact of their solidarity."

Nae Pasaran: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0002wsm via @bbciplayer

11. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Brilliant. I’ll watch that.

Just watching the new Alan Partridge. This is a classic character, I loved the Radio North Norfolk stuff, and they are trying something quite interesting here. But there is only so much comedy of embarrassment I can take, and I can’t see how they will get a series out of this format.

Steelmonkey likes this.
  12. Steelmonkey

Just watched the last half hour of the documentary, it's very moving. Amazing the impact these guys had.

Alan Partridge - he's popular in our house too, but agree this new format needs a bit of polishing to go the long haul.

sb_73 likes this.
  13. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Just finished Norman Davies’ book Beneath Another Sky. Davies is a great historian, his book Vanished Kingdoms is one of my favourites. This one is a bit odd and a bit of a slog to be honest, as he journeys round the world giving potted histories of various places from Singapore to Texas, plus a bit of travelogue about the things he visited. I learned a lot but have probably forgotten most of it already. But the last 20 pages are brilliant, a fantastic explanation of European imperialism which takes a very different view to the usual.

14. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Thanks for that SM. I’d seen a screening advertised on the Clapton CFC Twitter Page (which thanks to Stans post a while back I’m a proud member) but didn’t realise it was on IPlayer.
    Downloaded it and will start watching now as I’m still in ‘nightshift ‘mode’ and didn’t finish till 7am this morning. Will probably struggle to sleep till the early hours.

sb_73 and Steelmonkey like this.
  15. Staines R's

Watched it till 3am this morning. Very good programme and worth a watch. An eternal shame on our country (and many others) who supported covertly the overthrow of a legitimate Left Wing government, and continued to support the Junta through the years of torture and murder.

Steelmonkey likes this.
  16. Stroller

A fascinating and disturbing documentary on CH4 tonight. Three Identical Strangers.

Nature or Nurture? Watch it on catch-up and decide for yourself.

Seriously, do watch it.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  17. DT’s Socks

This that the real life you are living Staines
    TV and Work ?
    Credit to you however as I cut my teeth when I was in Pharmaceuticals doing the night shift for a couple of years

I reckon it took 3 years after that until my time clock got straight

Bugger that today I work 3 hours a day on average

That my friend is not luck that is looking at life and changing it

18. Staines R's

On my night blocks that’s all it is mate. 4 x 12 hour night shifts with 3 x 12 hour down times in between. Not every week and I get a load of days off but the enjoyment and buzz I get from the job is unreal and make up for it.
    Plus I meet some of the nicest and interesting people who are happy, for the most part, to be looked after and shown a bit of TLC.....For example I met today a lady who was married to one of the ‘Busby Babes’ and I was lucky enough to hear her story of how she felt during the tragic events in Munich
    I might even save the odd life or two which makes me feel I’m making some kind of positive impact on the wider community.
    Long hours and pay are ****e though.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Uber_Hoop, kiwiqpr and DT’s Socks like this.
  19. Steelmonkey

kiwiqpr and Staines R's like this.
  20. Staines R's

Thanks mate......listening now

Steelmonkey likes this.