1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Review Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, May 27, 2017.

1. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Loved it - well written, don't know how some of the "experts" manage to keep a straight face during their interviews. Plenty of childish giggling going on i our house when we watched it !!

Stroller likes this.
  3. Bit different but took my nieces (7, 11 and 14 ages not names) to the Wildlife photographer of the year exhibition at the Natural History Museum. It was absolutely stunning and would fully recommend it for those who are interested.

sb_73 and Stroller like this.
  4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Return flight movies:

Bladerunner 2049. The original was a startling achievement, visually amazing and genuine involvement with the replicant characters and their imminent death, despite the usual non acting of Harrison Ford. This newish film is crap. Two wooden performances from Ford and Ryan Gosling, though presumably they were directed to act like that, no characters to care about, the jeopardy of restricted lifespan removed. Pretty cinematography, but loads of very long, lingering shots which added nothing to the story and were I suppose meant to be atmospheric and arty, but it’s not Death in Venice ffs. Hugely disappointing. No content or ideas.

Then Molly’s Game. Really good, which i wasn’t expecting, and apparently a true story. Very good acting from Jessica Chastain and, to my amazement, Kevin Costner, plus a host of supporting characters. Recommended.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  5. Stroller

That's disappointing (re Blade Runner) - I've got the DVD, but haven't watched it yet.

6. Hoop-Leif

Hoop-Leif Well-Known Member

What part does Reynolds play?

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Sorry, wrong Ryan, it’s Gosling. He plays the lead part, a detective replicant.
    i think my extreme disappointment was due to how much I love the original film. Ridley Scott executive produced this one, but didn’t direct it. He should have kept a closer eye on proceedings.

8. Stroller

I was at the Albert Hall last night to see Jethro Tull on their 50th anniversary tour, just 49 years after I first saw them there. Back then they were supporting Ten Years After, but now it was just Tull (or the latest version at least) plus recorded messages from previous band members. Apparently there have been 56 members of the band over the years, with Ian Anderson being the only constant. Anderson is 70, and sadly it showed in his vocals, which were just not strong enough. The set covered the early years (1968-1978), so all was familiar and we were spared the dread moment when they say 'and now for some tracks from the new album'. Musically, the band were excellent - Anderson's flute playing (flautism?) was superb - and I came away having enjoyed the night despite the weak vocals. If only he'd got some help with the singing bits.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  9. Stroller

Not really a review, but saw this on Facebook, apparently found in a junk shop.............

please log in to view this image

Now that's worth framing - it's got Ron Abbott's autograph!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Steelmonkey and sb_73 like this.
  10. Steelmonkey

Just finished reading Irvine Welshs' new novel, Dead Men's Trousers, continuing the story of the crew from Trainspotting.

Really enjoyable read if you like his stuff - admittably he's not everyones cup of tea, especially if you struggle to read in dialect, as most chapters in this book are written from the point of view of the main characters. He maintains the close feelings that fans of his work have towards Renton, Begbie, Sick Boy and Spud with some rollercoaster twists along the way.

Heard Welsh interviewed recently, and he was strongly opposed to writing this book, as he thought the characters had run their course through earlier books, but the huge success of Trainspotting 2 at the cinema, and a clamour from fans on social media changed his mind - I'm glad he did.

Stroller likes this.

11. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Just watching Civilisations for the first time, a series which I have read mixed reviews of. This episode, by Simon Schama, is excellent, a canter through contemporary art. The Chinese bloke making art with explosions simply outstanding. Plus a great German artist making stuff largely of lead about German history.

This episode at least highly recommended.

Stroller likes this.
  12. Stroller

I haven't seen any of the Civilisations series yet. I do like Simon Schama - A History Of Britain was wonderful - but I fear Philomena Cunk may have spoiled the whole genre for me.

Changing the subject, we've just finished watching The Assassination Of Gianni Versace, which was excellent. Darren Criss, who played Versace's killer, Andrew Cunanan, was particularly good. Ricky Martin as Versace's lover, not so much.

sb_73 and Steelmonkey like this.
  13. Steelmonkey

The Philomena Cunk series has been one of the funniest things I've seen on TV for ages.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Watched a bit of Philomena Cunk and enjoyed it, but felt it would be better as a five or ten minute thing, as it originally was I think, the joke wore thin pretty quickly. Mind you, you can say the same about Alan Partridge which I can watch for hours and a multitude of other things.

The Versace thing has passed me by, I’ll check it out.

15. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Excellent choice SB. Some amazing art - agree the explosion work was breathtaking. The work of Mondrian is so thought provoking. As a glass artist who has produced his own Mondrian in glass it is much more difficult to create than it looks.. to create balance of colour with line (and be able, in my case, to use transparency as an extra dimension). The lead-work is amazing and has such emotion in his subjects through the medium. I had been intending to watch some of the series, and you gave me a nudge to do it... great choice SB, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Stroller likes this.
  16. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Could you post some pictures of your work SW? Is art your profession or your hobby? Glad you liked the programme, it certainly captured my full attention, which is very unusual for me with telly.

17. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

Watched a bit of Cunk.

I thought it was the absolutely chronic, truly awful.

I’m staggered anyone would find it amusing at all, just infantile rubbish vaguely copying what Ali G did years ago (and did far better).

Each to their own I guess.

Stroller likes this.
  18. Steelmonkey

Avengers : Infinity War - good, but not excellent. If you're a fan of the Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy franchises you'll enjoy it - plenty of action, cheap gags, lots of characters thrown together - a good evening out although not much to test the grey matter.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  19. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Just watched another star wars movie on a plane
    How many times are they going to keep rehashing the first three movies

20. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

My 21 son thought it was the best of the recent Star Wars movies yet