1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Review Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, May 27, 2017.

1. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Why not just run on the road…..?
    Far cheaper and better training

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  2. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

And I run faster. But after a couple of road runs my right Achilles’ tendon is as sore as **** and swollen, meaning I have to rest it for a week. Even with very nice Brooks running shoes. The treadmills have a bit of give in them which is gentler on my ancient joints. Plus of course they are a bit nicer when it’s pissing down or sub zero out.

But my preference would be outside running.

Uber_Hoop and Staines R's like this.
  3. Staines R's

To be honest mate, it’s just a matter of cracking on with it and going through the pain. It will get easier the more you do it.
    I used to have really bad joint and shin pain when I first started and some days could hardly walk after. But now I get nothing and I’m running 20-30 miles a week.
    Get your point about the cold and wet…I can do either but both together kills me.
    Have you had your gait measured professionally ? Would really recommend it if you haven’t….I was wearing the wrong kind of running shoe for years and I reckon that was a massive factor in the pain I was getting….now I swear by Brooks Ghost 13 shoes….but I go through a pair every 6 months or so

kiwiqpr likes this.
  4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Yeah, had all the measurements and balance stuff done when I bought the first pair. I’ll be on the road tomorrow as the inside run was cut short today, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Staines R's likes this.
  5. Staines R's

Cool mate….let me know. The good tip my mate gave me, who is a very good runner, was take it really slowly….will feel like you’re forcing it and you’ll want to go faster but be focused and plod at first….you’ll make up time later in your run and naturally run faster when you’re warmed up

sb_73 likes this.
  6. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

You got any parks/open land near you? My knees are shot to pieces (that kinda happens when you used to jump out of airplanes for a living!) but found that running on grass is a whole lot comfier than road running. Not that I get much time for it these days

SW Ranger, Uber_Hoop and sb_73 like this.
  7. Trammers

Trammers Well-Known Member

Can't remember if we've had this conversation before on here, but I started learning Spanish via Duolingo a year ago during our 2nd or was it 3rd lockdown, they all merge into one.......... Only using the free version as the plus just has too much on there and I don't have the time to use all the features...... It's a bit addictive and i try to do a hour or so each evening instead of dumbing down watching tv, really quite pleased with myself sticking at it, and feel I could have a conversation in Spanish, but only if the other person spoke slowly......

Plus as you get older you need to work the mind a bit so I think it's a win, win........

kiwiqpr, sb_73 and Staines R's like this.
  8. Staines R's

Thats great to hear Tram….I really would recommend the paid version as seems so much more on it and you can do whatever suits you each session. While I’m off I try to get in 2-3 30 minute sessions a day (probably 1 when I’m working) and vary it with lessons, reading and stories. At £47 it’s well worth it.
    As you say really addictive and just by repeating the lessons it’s amazing how much you retain….and definitely good for the mind. Adding to that I don’t mind watching a few Spanish and Mexican programmes or films on Netflix as I feel I’m also getting something out of it.
    Necesito estudiar más pero está más difícil con trabajo y familia.

Trammers likes this.
  9. Trammers

I'd also recommend using a website called Spanish Dictionary........ really useful showing all the conjugation of the verbs.......

Staines R's likes this.
  10. Staines R's

Thanks mate…will bookmark it now

Trammers likes this.

11. Trammers

Anyone been watching The Tourist on Beeb 1? Have to say I found quite decent, Mrs TR thinks it's rubbish, but the telling of the story in flashbacks as the main character recovers his memory so we find out how and why we started where we did is a good concept.......

My only gripe is that showing it over 5 weeks is too long it could have been done over 3 weeks with double episodes each weekend, like they do on Beeb 4.......

12. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Or you could've just watched it on iPlayer....all the episodes were up after first airing.

Quite like the program though :emoticon-0148-yes:

13. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I’d end up carrying an extra 15kg of mud on my feet at the moment….we’ve had virtually no rain yet this year, but everywhere is still pretty muddy.
    just back from a run, first on the road for about 6 months, chilly day but lovely sunshine. Took your mates advice, started slowly, and to be honest didn’t speed up that much. Ended up at about the same pace I do on the treadmill, which is 20-30 seconds slower per km than I usually do on the road. I have no idea why this is. Very comfortable though, was aiming to do 5 km but eventually stopped at 6.5 after about 38 minutes, and only because I had arrived back home.

Damage report - brief odd twinges in left knee, now gone. Can feel the right Achilles, which if experience is anything to go on will get stiffer as the day goes on. But no worse than on the treadmill I think, will be bad first thing tomorrow but fine once I start moving around. Getting out of bed is the one time I really feel my age.

It is nicer running outside, especially on bright, crisp days like today. Go again on Friday.

14. Staines R's

Great to hear G. Taking it slow at the start really is the best tip ever. Hopefully you’ll not be too sore tomorrow

15. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Dear oh dear oh dear
    The repair shop is still on tv
    Some dopey mares turned up with her granny's butter churn
    She wants to show her kids how good the good old days were
    Apparently it will remind them of granny
    Who by the time they were born would have been buying it from Tesco's

16. Staines R's

How’s the legs today G ?

I was planning for a few miles this morning but feel absolutely drained with no energy whatsoever. Ache all over and feel rough as old boots. Not good when I’m meant to be playing football this afternoon in our Ambulance Station.
    I’ve already said the bench looks a good place to cheer them on ;)
    I’m thinking I might have over done it straight after COVID by trying to get my weekly mileage in too quickly…just 3 x 12 hour shifts meant last few miles were gonna have to after work which I really don’t fancy…looks like I don’t have a choice now :(
    Only another 3.44 miles to go

17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Not bad matey, as always stiff right Achilles’ tendon when I got up, hobbled around for a bit, but now after a bit of tiger balm and getting warmed up I can feel it but no issues. Such is life as you age…..

….don’t underestimate the recovery time from COVID. Long Covid aside, I’ve been reading that a lot of these sportspeople who have had covid, especially those who have had symptoms, take a few weeks to get back to normal. Take it easy mate.

Steelmonkey and Staines R's like this.
  18. Staines R's

Good to hear mate. Maybe the ‘take it slow’ advice helped ? I found it really difficult at first as naturally I knew I could run faster but really had to have some self discipline to slow it right down….for me I’ve definitely felt the benefits in my longer runs of over 10 miles.

Yeah I know I shouldn’t have tried to get back too quickly, however that’s the problem with these virtual races, where you know you should do a certain amount of miles per week (23.1 for me) to complete and feel pissed odd when you don’t reach that.
    Good for motivation though

Steelmonkey and sb_73 like this.
  19. Willhoops

Willhoops Well-Known Member

Watched a film on prime last night called skid row marathon.., pretty moving stuff and very inspiring

20. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Virgin Media Contract renewal negotiations review.

Been very happy with the £39 a month for 18 months Virgin 200 plus landline deal. Consistent download speeds of 210mbps plus, pretty reliable, when enhanced with mesh system strong signal all over the house. Infinitely superior to its predecessor, BT., but not renegotiating would have put the price up to £57 a month.

But the angst of renewal time has arrived. First tried discussions via chat box, 2 hours to get a person on the other end, then ‘she’ (I’m sure they use female names to soften the caller) tried to transfer me to a WhatsApp version, gave up after 3 hours (noticed that they had responded 6 hours late, the next morning). The best offer received was £46 for Virgin350 plus landline. I was actually happy with this but my demon negotiator wife was not.

Today we went the phone route. Long waits, first numpty had no clue, best offer £43 for current package, then cut off. Two more attempts, cut off. Finally got through to an operator called Molly, who was sitting in a real office somewhere in Devon. She gave us Virgin350 plus landline at …….£34 a month for 18 months. Deal. The upgrade has already happened, now getting download speeds of 370mbps, uploads (not that we upload much) of 32mbps. Very happy. This stuff is important when you have 3 people in the house working on laptops, and a lot of streaming going on when we aren’t working.

Couple of learnings - Molly told us she could only have made this offer because she was in the office, the coding was too complex for her to have done it working from home, but a lot of the operators are at home……plus they clearly have an algorithm linked to accounts/phone numbers. Once they have severely pissed you off you get through to someone who will delight you. Risky strategy though.

Staines R's and Steelmonkey like this.