1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Review Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, May 27, 2017.

1. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I left the Today Programme about 6 months ago and am currently trying out Talk Radio which is not only very repetitive and repetitive, but is also very repetitive.

2. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I mostly listen to LBC now, which I find pretty good generally. James O'Brien is superb.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  3. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

O'Brien is Marmite depending on someone's politics. He speaks to the disaffected. It amused me when, having never posted on his Twitter site ever, but having been moderately rude about him on other Twitters posts (including LBC), I noticed he had blocked me from his account. He or his assistant must go around blocking anyone who's rude about him - a full time job. What a thin skin....

SW Ranger and kiwiqpr like this.
  4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

On BBC4 now a documentary about Frank Zappa. I am totally ignorant of his work, it has completely passed me by, though I know, and like, a bit of his mate Don van Vliet aka Captain Beefheart’s stuff, in small bites.

It’s very interesting, but seems to be avoiding playing any of his music in a coherent way. I have a feeling I will get to the end of this and have a great idea of the man and how he made his music, but little inkling of what it sounds like.

Any fans out there?

5. Stroller

I was a big MOI fan for a while and could even now sing along to every word of We're Only In It For The Money, which I played to death for about six months in my youth. I didn't really stick with Zappa post Mothers though.

sb_73 likes this.
  6. Stroller

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Genuinely fascinating bloke, a real composer and artist, and obviously highly intelligent and articulate. Also seems to have been an insane perfectionist but still kept the loyalty of the many musicians who worked for him. And they definitely worked for him.

I’m afraid the music itself, or the snatches of it we get to hear in this film, continues to pass me by. A lot seems technically very challenging, with the odd rather puerile comedy song thrown in for some reason. I suspect his classical stuff might last longest.

They adore him in Eastern Europe for some reason.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  8. Stroller

Yeah, I was 15 so the puerile stuff probably appealed more than the difficult stuff at the time. After having become obsessed with WOIIFTM, I went back to the Mothers' previous album Absolutely Free and discovered this track, which is great....

sb_73 likes this.
  9. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

One for @Didley Squat though I have no idea whether you can access it - this evening on (U.K.) Channel4 at (U.K.) 7pm The Lancaster Bomber at 80. Narrated by David Jason, includes interviews with veteran crew members.

Must be a way for you to watch it, hopefully dodgy telly gurus like @Steelmonkey know a way. VPN might be required…..

kiwiqpr, Steelmonkey and Stroller like this.
  10. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

Interesting podcast on BBC Sounds called Sacked in the Morning. Episode with Ian Holloway and the effect/impact of the media. Worth a listen.

11. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

@Didley Squat

It's on the C4 website, though think you may need an account (free) to watch....and probably geo-locked, so a VPN with UK settings needed - there are some free ones out there...some discussion about VPNs in this thread if you need it...

https://www.not606.com/threads/a-guide-to-watching-dark-markets-matches.392084/

The Lancaster Bomber at 80 with David Jason

The incredible story of one of history's most iconic aircrafts - the Lancaster bomber - and its instrumental role in the defeat of Nazi Germany

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-lancaster-bomber-at-80-with-david-jason

sb_73 likes this.
  12. Steelmonkey

Geek-fest on the Beeb for me tonight. Prof Brian Coxs' new program, Universe. Fascinating, with superb CGI graphics to show the early days of our Universe and our planet.

It's either your bag, or not. But if you like this stuff, it's brilliant

13. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

Interesting band on KEXP called Geese. I recon they are a bit like the Fall but more musical They all look about 15 years old. I feel ancient.

Steelmonkey likes this.
  14. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

There album, released yesterday is a good listen. Worth keeping an eye on for sure.

15. Steelmonkey

Posted one of their tracks on the music thread couple of weeks back, great sound so I'll need to check.out the KEXP set. KEXP really do have some great sessions that they put up on YouTube - wish they'd pop them on Spotify as well

16. Steelmonkey

Any fans of Scandi-Noir? Just finished the 6-parter The Chestnut Man, available on Netflix or other streaming platforms, and it's very good.

Murder, dismemberment, child abuse, politicians, bleak landscapes and forests abound as the police try to solve the spate of killings - I'm normally pretty good at figuring out who's behind it all in these things, but didn't get this one til the reveal, a good twist and an entertaining watch.

Danish, with English subs, although I think there may be a dubbed version on Netflix if you prefer your show's that way

sb_73 likes this.
  17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I had the misfortune to catch a little of the Graham Norton Show last night. I’ve nothing against him but this mixture of product promotion and light self depreciation on behalf of the guests has been going on for many, many years now, and Mr Norton must be bored of himself. At least the majority of the guests are famous for reasons other than reality tv.

I looked up when Barrack Obama and Bruce Springsteen (who looks genuinely weird, like he’s had his skin stretched over his skull) turned up to promote some coffee table book version of some self congratulatory podcast conversations they have had. Two archetypal old ‘liberals’ agreeing the **** out of each other by the look of it, and taking zero responsibility for the way the world is at the moment. Didn’t really listen but decided to look up what this was all about.

The book is called Renegades (which had me giggling instantly, Obama and Springsteen ‘renegades’!) and is a record of their deep conversations about things like masculinity and the ‘younger generations’ who they think are ‘on the right track’. The hysterical idea that the ‘younger generations’ are interested in being told what to think by these two old, privileged, boomers (and I speak as an old, relatively privileged, boomer) and that the way to reach them is via the Graham Norton Show and a coffee table book has obviously not crossed their minds.

The perils of ageing, and being surrounded by sycophants. These blokes were at one stage genuinely influential and potentially inspirational figures, but no longer and self awareness is clearly not a strong point. Shame.

18. Steelmonkey

Oh dear - can't believe they were on his show. It's a glorifed, TV version of some trashy magazine - Norton really should've stayed doing stand-up instead of dragging this format on for more years than he ought to have done. Think I'll be giving that a miss - thanks for the heads up :emoticon-0149-no:

sb_73 likes this.
  19. Stroller

You should try watching Jonathan Ross.

Not really, don't.

20. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Have to admit I don’t mind Norton too much on TV - probably because he has some good guests who take more TV time than him. but I really don’t like him on radio - again, probably because it’s all ‘him’ and not other more interesting people.
    Generally … it’s casual TV and not too bothered whether I see it or I don’t to be honest.

‘The Chestnut Man’ looks interesting Steels. Shall have to search that out and see how the first episode goes.

Steelmonkey and sb_73 like this.