1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Push-bike Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Red Hadron Collider, May 26, 2020.

1. lfcpower

lfcpower Well-Known Member

Right on both counts. I don't know if I'd call it silent treatment as I'd said we should leave it alone at the time, but it still wasn't a very nice thing to do

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  2. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

You must have had your reasons mate. Are you suffering now because she's moved on?

3. lfcpower

It's probably just that mate, yeah. At the time I left for sure there was stuff bothering me to the point where the only course of action seemed to be to do that. Weird how this stuff goes. It's like you're both at two ends of a line, one seemingly doesn't want it whilst the other still really really does, then after the event the two people gradually start moving to the opposite ends of that line and assume each other's position, so the one who didn't want it wants it again and the want who really really wanted it now isn't sure or really doesn't want it ... c'est la vie

4. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

At least you're not rushing into anything. You're being responsible enough to take time out to think things through. That's a good thing.

5. lfcpower

Managed to stop feeling sorry for myself and got out and did just shy of 20 miles this evening; quite nice, still conditions, could be warmer though and there's plenty of traffic around now, mostly respectful drivers tonight. People are definitely going back to pubs, bars and restaurants as the amount of walkers up by the lake I got to has significantly dwindled and those places are noisier and quite full, guess it is Saturday though ...

Earlier today I went to Evans to look at jerseys and bought myself one, hoping to be sporting it later in the day, but the cut isn't right, it fits fine but it's not the 'race fit' that I want, so that'll be going back tomorrow and I'll definitely order one online tonight that has a more aero design, it was a bit more than I wanted to pay anyway so not bothered really, just got it because I could do with one, it was nice and it was there

organic red and Zanjinho like this.
  6. lfcpower

Went for a 20 mile ride yesterday evening. I'd been out for only around a couple of minutes and I'd seen another roadie coming down as I turned onto the main road from the street where I live. Anyway I have to stop at some lights after that couple of minutes and he pulls up beside me and says hello, asks where I'm heading and we're going the same route, so we end up riding the whole way together having a very interesting and good chat about life and getting on very well. I'd say he was maybe 60, around that, so a fair bit older but we'll be having another ride together and swapped numbers when we'd looped back past his house. Seems like he'd been having a hard time with family stuff so hopefully it helped him a bit talking to someone and getting it off his chest and he enjoyed a bit of different company

Zanjinho, Solid_Air 2 and organic red like this.
  7. lfcpower

Bit of a nightmare out on the road today. It's been nice and sunny so I thought I'd do a longer ride and include a nice long steady hill climb in it at the middle point. About 30 miles in, just before I'm to take the turn to get on the road for the climb I'm hammering it down a straight bit of road, feeling great and looking forward to some climbing and the views, and I go through some roadworks with temporary lights, something flicks up off the road, a chunk of stone or cement, I dunno, into my back wheel and it completely goes, not just the tube, but the wheel itself, which leaves me stranded 30 miles from home in a supermarket car park that I pulled off into. Anyway, I managed to source a lift back, so it's off to the bike shop tomorrow for inner tubes and with a f*cked up rear wheel that probably can't be fixed ...

8. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

****, not what you want. Did you stay upright?

9. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Going to workk and back on ther bike today, first outing in about 3wk but a steady total of about 10mile

lfcpower likes this.
  10. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Took it steady via the woods and off road tracks (and boy, the vegetation as grown!) because I've a full day at work and then got to ride home; 4.5miles in 30mins.

It'll be the same route back so we'll see how it compares when I'm in "**** it" mode <laugh> (more uphills on the return too though)

lfcpower likes this.

11. lfcpower

The back wheel went a bit squirrelly under me and I had to scrub speed quick but I controlled it and didn't hit the deck thankfully. Thinking about it I'm glad it happened there if it was going to happen, better than it going doing 40mph+ on the descent I had planned after my climb, that could've/would've been nasty

Zanjinho likes this.
  12. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Sacked work off just after 1pm. Got home in 25mins

Bashed the left pedal on a rock though, managed to stay upright and maintain most of my pace but it's now "clicking" as I pedal :(

13. lfcpower

Not good. Are they detachable pedals? If they are take it off and give it a clean and lube. Hopefully the rock didn't damage it too much

I went to the bike shop and they've said the wheels I took in need binning as they're now dangerous, adding to that the spare I wanted to put on is also only good for the bin because the hub has seized up from it being shelved so long ... so new set of wheels needed <doh><wah> I'm thinking if that's how it is I might just get a new bike and relegate the current one to errand and winter duties

organic red likes this.
  14. lfcpower

Added to that when I tried to put the front driver's window in my car down earlier I discovered that it now won't go up or down, it just makes a noise

15. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, I'll take them off etc <ok>

New wheels? Sounds like it's time for a upgrade then ;)

lfcpower likes this.
  16. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

That suggests the motor is working and it's a connection issue

17. lfcpower

I ordered these https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vision-team-30-clincher-road-wheelset/rp-prod137637

Turns out the other wheel with the hub problem had just seized up, I was just messing about with it and sprayed it with a tonne of wd40 and gt85, then washed it with soap and boiling water, and it's spinning well again now after all the crap and gunk poured out of it. I'll keep that set for spare.

I'm pretty disappointed in the service the guy in the shop gave because if he'd just taken a minute to look at it and think it through, rather than just rashly telling me it was junk, then I could've been riding on it tonight after purchasing an inner tube from him. He was right about my other wheels though, which I suspected anyway, they do need to go, so the new set will replace them as my nicer wheels, since they're very similar, but actually look nicer, and aren't bent and buckled of course

Zanjinho likes this.
  18. lfcpower

Yeah, something's snapped or whatever I'd guess since there was a popping kind of noise when I tried to put it down. No idea why, it's not like I'm constantly putting the window up and down. It does go up and down automatically when you open and close the door though. I booked it in to get it repaired next week

19. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Nice but also, ouch <laugh>

Pretty ****ty to say you needed a new wheel when you didn't, clearly trying to get a sale (but didn't). Guessing you wasn't be using him again?

20. lfcpower

Those were cheap wheels mate :emoticon-0106-cryin:emoticon-0114-dull: At least they'll look smart

I won't be going back to him, no, which is a shame as he's a local bike shop and I'd prefer to help keep one of those in business than go to Evans all the time, but I've been to Evans recently and they have been a lot better, although they are more expensive for servicing and stuff. I thought he was probably trying to squeeze me and when he mentioned it was stuck I did think I'd like to have a go with that myself, because I hadn't realised it wasn't turning up till that point.

However, if you can maintain a bike yourself to some degree you can avoid paying them. I can't repair wheels but I can take a cassette off, as I did this evening, and I can change tyres and tubes etc and other less major or skilled jobs. These are jobs Evans will charge up to £20 for each, a local place maybe half or two thirds that, so at least I've saved money there. I just need inner tubes now. One to put on the new wheel and one to take with me on my next rides ... learned my lesson yesterday!