1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The price of football.

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Xenu is a Leeds fan, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Xenu is a Leeds fan

Xenu is a Leeds fan New Member

I found this article on the BBC website this morning that made interesting reading:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14366574.stm

It seems that although we have the most expensive programme (at £4) we are very much mid table pricewise for a day out at the football...

please log in to view this image

2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Was just reading that Leeds have the most expensive footie program in the country, I guess someone has to...

3. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

Yeah, doesn't look so bad when you look at it like that does it ?

BUT......

the cheapest price is for a category C game, the dearest is for a category A. Guess how many category C games there'll be this season ?

The starting price for an adult ticket for a category A game is £27 in the family area, couple that with the lack of kids priced tickets in the rest of Elland Road and it doesn't look so rosy.

The table shows the cheapest "day out" available for one adult, it doesn't mention the fact that you'll hardly ever be able to get that at Elland Road.

I wonder whether the BBC got the info direct from Kenneth Bates ?

4. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

We'll charge more for tickets across the season than any other club in the division, and in fact than many in the Premiership.

We'll charge more for programmes than any other club in the division.

We'll make more off season tickets than any other club in the division, and we'll sure as hell charge more.

We have the most expensive membership scheme in the world, which is pretty much required to get a sniff at going to any major home games and any away matches whatsoever. You get pretty much nothing other than the privilege of going to games when you sign up; at least other clubs give away programmes, merchandise, discounts, loyalty points or whatever. And we still trouser booking and online fees from those ticket sales.

So it really does rankle that when we're being so phantasmagorically fleeced, we're getting outmuscled financially left, right and centre by nothing clubs who have actually had the good sense to realize that getting good players will get you promoted, as well as that good players will cost more than what Ken Bates deems the 'going rate'. And to add insult to injury, 7m - some of which us fans have raised - has been irretrievably thrown away to a construction company who are building the stupidest waste of time East Stand extension.

I'm an optimist, but you can't help but despair when you think what little return Bates gives us fans for our exceptional financial and match-attending backing of the club.

5. coalville-white

[I wonder whether the BBC got the info direct from Kenneth Bates ?[/QUOTE]

I Hope they didnt get the figures from Ken once he sees that were not paying premiership prices for our food he will act on it

6. The-Don

The-Don Well-Known Member

Nowhere on that does it say Barnsley on a Tuesday night 36 pound tickets which is what they cost plus £1 admin fee ROBBING BASTARD

7. Brizzlewhite

Brizzlewhite Well-Known Member

Most expensive pies are in the South West! Something must be done. I guess it keeps the population slim though. It doesn't say anything about the quality of the tea or pies mind.

8. Pags

Pags Well-Known Member

ive included this in my article about yorkshire lost with wilko talkign bout why yorkshires football has gone to ****.

Bradford city are only like 90p cheaper than us and thats like/£5 less than scum. thats piss poor. how can they justify that?

9. Jerel Ifil

Bradford have amazingly cheap season tickets and something like 90% of their matchday crowd are season ticket holders according to the FL statisics released the other day. With Leeds, everyone gets ripped off whether you're a part-timer or a full-timer. I'm all for similar (though not identical) matchday prices for ST holders and non-ST holders, but why should they be so high when **** all out of it sees the light of day in terms of player investment?

10. Pags

Pags Well-Known Member

I don’t thinkt he price is MUCH MUCH different is it for St holders to non st holders? Although the price of a brand new one at 615 (which we worked out before is a 5% saving) is ****ing steep.

I thought £512 was bad enough when as a new ST holder last season I only paid £516. so I saved £4 this season. Looks like I chose the right time to get one.

11. olihardy

olihardy Member

its the lack of kids tickets - remember no concessions apart from Kop (full of ST holders) and family stand which you have to pay £40 to become a member before you've bought a ticket

12. Jerel Ifil

There are concessions in the South Stand and South East Corner next season, aren't there? And they have no season ticket holders. Concessions should be available everywhere though and much cheaper. West Ham and Man City do kid for a quid offers all the time; not saying we need to resort to that level, but a couple of promotional offers to ensnare the next generation into the addictive doom and gloom of being a Whites fan is surely worthwhile.

13. Best Fans

Best Fans Active Member

Football prices are just ****ed generally. There was like 2 category C games last season, so that £20 for us isn't really accurate. It's £25 cheapest, and that's only if you have a £40 membership. Plus travel, the £4 programme, food etc. it's a lot of money.

Say if someone has 2 kids, and wanted to take them - that's 3 memberships, plus 3 tickets, and travel. It's ridiculous. I reckon if we had cheaper tickets, we'd fill Elland Road every week. When I was under 16, I went to nearly every game with my mates cause it was only £7, but now we each have to pay £25+ we can make it to about 10 games a season at best.

14. Spanish white

Spanish white Active Member

The Tea is good value :) Yorkshire Tea ....Yorkshire Water :)

15. billyboy

billyboy New Member

the dearest pie i ever bought was at fooking sheff wed-----------an it was crap

16. Brizzlewhite

Brizzlewhite Well-Known Member

I agree with Leeds-18 here. If the fanbase is to grow and new fans are to be encouraged then the 'kid for a quid' thing is a brilliant idea. What better way to get into it than to be taken along by your parent/guardian/probation officer/keeper and stuffed with pies and pop whilst watching a game?

17. Xenu is a Leeds fan

Xenu is a Leeds fan New Member

+2!

It's a fantastic idea - I would rather have the next generation in the stadium than empty seats.