1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Ahh no way DTLW! I feel for u Mate, if it should happen .

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

<laugh> Drinksbreaks tactical timeouts

I like that.

Libby likes this.
  3. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I see that Henrik Larsen has re-opened the debate about the quality of Celtic and that his time at the club saw them achieve a level of performance under Martin O'Neill where he believes they would have been amongst the top four in the Premiership at that time.

The question of whether Celtic and Rangers being good enough for top flight English football is always seems to be frowned upon by English fans who rightly do not want the sectarianism imported into our game. However, listening to the commentary of Radio 5 last weekend during the inaugural week of the Scottish season, the big debate is whether Rangers can prevent Celtic securing a 10th successive league title and how this will define their season, regardless of if them win the league. I cannot see it happening and think that Steven Gerrard is a good bet for the most high profile managerial casualty this season. However, in the light of Celtic's supreme dominance which does look like continuing unabated, you are almost left asking what is the point of the Scottish Premier League? I think that the moral implications of replacing an English team with a Scottish one, especially in the light of future independence and the political fall out within football will prevent this. As an outsider to Scottish football, has there ever been a time when a football club has outgrown the league within which it plays and should they not be allowed to compete against the likes of the Manchester clubs , Liverpool's and Chelsea's? As far as the other teams are concerned, it would make their league more competitive as a more level playing field would be created by the absence of Celtic. a club winning ten titles in a row is suggestive with no sign of the sequence being broken is indicative that the top flight Scottish is broken. I do not know what the answer is and I am no fan of Celtic yet you sense their league matches (and increasingly including Rangers) are a bit pointless.

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

To be sponsored by Budweiser next season <whistle>

In seriousness though that's essentially what they are. Really hope they don't continue next season, unless in genuinely very hot weather.

fatletiss likes this.
  5. Libby

Libby 9-0

If Celtic win the ten in a row then it will really be a bit of a hollow achievement in my book considering Rangers weren't even in the division for 3 of those years and were financially crippled for at least one more. It should also be noted in the record books that they were given last years rather than won it imo.

Both clubs have done 9 previously though I believe so I don't think it's necessarily a sign that Celtic would be forever dominant. Just evidence of how much said troubles damaged Rangers and how long it will take to catch up again without having European football for years.

I'd also never want them in the English leagues, for all sorts of reasons, and don't think there's really any credible arguments for it. Should it happen I think they'd do really well though.

I also doubt the rest of Scottish football would be for it as the vast majority of their revenue comes from the big two.

Osvaldorama likes this.
  6. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

If they introduce timeouts in football....a game already slowed up by VAR....I really will want the world to stop so I can get off.

fatletiss likes this.
  7. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

I actually like the drinks breaks. It seemed to reduce injuries in the hotter weather and it allows teams a quick chance to readdress any issues. It worked well for us plus it's not a long break.

8. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

I never have any sympathy for teams who get an injury after using all three subs. Managers make their final sub knowing the risk, if they prefer they can see it as two subs + one injury one if needed

9. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

Mind you when Rangers did their 9 in a row, they did it with players funded through financial dealings which ultimately resulted in them going out of existence, and a new club (Rangers FC) being formed and joining the Scottish bottom tier.

10. fatletiss

I think we outgrew Division 3 South in the 1890s

11. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Have had my call and my job is not one of the 55 positions subject to redundancy.

Thanks for all your messages and cheers to the weekend! :emoticon-0167-beer:

davecg69, MIsaints, Schad and 26 others like this.
  12. fatletiss

Get in! Only decent thing Arsenal have done all year...

... well maybe winning the FA Cup is ok. I suppose

davecg69 likes this.
  13. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Nice one Connor!

14. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

You must always keep your best people. I'm pleased for you.

davecg69 likes this.
  15. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

Well done mate

16. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

<party>

17. SaintInKuwait

SaintInKuwait Well-Known Member

I’ve always loved Scott Parker. As a player he was really underrated. I remember him scoring a belter in a 2-2 draw with us, really vividly for some reason. Really glad to see him doing well.

18. fatletiss

meh! His career just went down hill after the McDonalds advert :)

ps. Always liked him too

SaintInKuwait likes this.
  19. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

He scored to crackers against saints for Charlton, so it’s a no thanks from me.

20. Libby

Libby 9-0