1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours The post 2022 world cup winter window

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by StJabbo1, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

TBH it was still time for the poor bugger to go. We broke him. But still, I’d have him over Jones in a heartbeat. Even the crap version of late-era-Ralph.

2. BackFromBeyond

BackFromBeyond Well-Known Member

3. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Jimmy Jay Morgan has gone to Chelsea, Fool.

SAINTOSPREY and SaintinNZ like this.
  4. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

It might be a mistake on his part. At the same time, he should have gotten into games for us. Yes, even as a 16 year old. Players have increasing mobility at this time (first at their 17th birthday, and then again in their late teens), and for that reason they have very little reason to stew in the reserves at great length. We really ****ed up by not providing the best generation of kids we've had in a decade with meaningful cup time if nothing else.

5. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

What a waste of a talent. Idiot.

As if he's gone to Chelsea for better 1st team opportunities. Bullshit I call. Nothing more than £££ at the expense of what would've been a cracking career

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    saintlyhero likes this.
  6. Saints Fan4Life

It's such a shame this generation of kids coming through (as you say, our best in a while) has Nathan ****ing Jones as manager. He's shown no interest in the youth since he's been here, many are hacked off with him in that regard from what I've heard, and that pathway is essentially closed under him. Huge waste of talents.

7. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

In fairness, Chelsea has brought thought many more Academy products than we have in recent years. I count seven products of their Academy under the age of 25 who have featured in the PL this season for them: James, Mount, Hall, Gallagher, Chalobah, Broja and Chukwuemeka. That compares to our...one. Valery. Who played 46 minutes and then was sold shortly thereafter.

Lewis Hall has made more starts for them as a teenager (4) this season than we have starts from all of our teenage Academy players in the past several years combined. So Chelsea's probably a better bet to give him a chance than we are.

8. Saints Fan4Life

Easy to bring players through when you've got about 100 to pick from, though. Probably the same hit percentage as us <laugh>

Dont forget some of them were only bought through out of necessity due to their transfer embargo a couple of years back and none of them (bar maybe Mount & James) are regulars and most get linked with moves away. No way they'd have got their chances originally if Chelsea were able to splash the cash like they are now, which is why it makes Morgans decision more peculiar if he wants first eam football now.

9. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Possibly, but we quite literally have not brought anyone through in many years. We have a few Academy products that went on to be solid contributors elsewhere, mostly in the Championship. Our youngest Academy player who made it to the first team and remains a regular in the PL is Matt Targett. He's 27. There are only four players to debut with us since we returned to the PL who are getting appreciable time at this level: JWP, Targett, Reed and Shaw.

That's an appalling record for a club that wants to tout its youth development, and until we actually show results and a willingness to play youth, I can't at all blame players for looking to clubs that have actually brought someone through in, I don't know, the last seven years.

The last time a player from our Academy debuted and went on to be a PL fixture/international regular (that'd be Shaw), Jimmy-Jay Morgan was 6 years old. We remember ourselves as a club that develops youth, because we're all old as ****. But the kids we have to convince of that? None of that happened within their living memory.

10. Saints Fan4Life

I agree with you, our recent record has been utterly appaling. Whether we've mismanaged them or not, I don't know but I look back now and think the quality just hasn't been there. Particularly looking at where some of them have ended up.

It's hard enough to bring through an academy player, let alone if the player isn't up to it. I've just been reading up on Jake Vokins, who was considered one of our academy stars a couple of years back and is amazingly still here, having just had a failed moved at Woking. If that's the high point of our recent academy graduates it's no wonder we can't bring players through regularly at a PL level. We're not going yo bring players through if they aren't up to it.

Don't forget, the players reaching "mature" age in recent years would've been those who joined as we were bottom of the championship or in League One. The quality wouldn't have been as high because we wouldn't have attracted the required standard. It's a long term process that started a long time ago.

You reference JWP , Reed & that - they would've had the.opppsite effect. At the time they came through, if you look back 10 years from then (so 20ish years ago now, christ) , we'd have been a PL side when they joined the academy. So a barren spell as we tumbled down the leagues was kind of expected which is what we've just gone through and correlates with our lower league time.

You compare that to now - those joining the academy 10-12 years ago would've been joining with us on a high, back to back promotions and a PL (or near) team. The likes of Morgan, Ballard etc. This was the generation to get the conveyor belt back on track and start getting them into the first team, but instead, they're met by Nathan ****ing Jones. It's frustrating.

In the case of Morgan, in a way I can't blame him, he was promised cup game time this season before signing his contract, and the club (or Jones) let him down on that.

It's just, for me, why Chelsea with the way they are splashing the cash is the odd decision. He wants to leave for first team football, here he is on the fringes and there, he won't be anywhere near for the next couple of years. It's a waste, it really is.

11. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Will be gutting if JJM goes on to be a top player - feel like we did the hard work and now Chelsea will just loan him around.

Hopefully we got a sell on and if not then hope he goes on to do f*ck all.

12. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Woken up to find that someone quietly pulled the transfer window closed and that we now appear to have a bundle of new players in the squad. Biggest January window in our history, I suspect.

I hope we'll all be patient as our foreign signings get up to speed with the pace of the Premier League. I know we need quick results but we do also need a tiny salting of patience for the individual players to get cracking.

13. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I agree that just because we want and need the players to hit the ground running, doesn't mean if they don't that they are instantly flops. They need time like any player and it's not their fault that we are in the position we are. Do think fans patience is short at the moment, however I imagine that most of that frustration will be directed toward the manager.

Onionman likes this.
  14. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Behave Vin <laugh> you’re expecting patience. I give it 2 weeks before all hell breaks loose. Although the hatred for Jones from a few may mean the players avoid the volleys of abuse

15. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Haven't really paid too much attention to what other clubs have done in January other than the absolute joke that is Chelsea and the disgusting amount of money that they've thrown around. But just seen that Forest have got Keylor Navas on loan from PSG. Maybe he's past his best, but he's only 36 which isn't that old for a keeper. That level of experience and quality at GK would have been a great way to use the other loan spot that we haven't used. We've had a big transfer window, and we needed to. But still think we are short a DM. Hopefully Lavia can regain his full fitness and remain injury free for the rest of the season...albeit if Jones continues to say that formations don't matter whilst also continuing to change formation to one that, time after time makes us ****ing dogshit bad and our players worse than they are, then we don't need another DM or even Lavia for that matter because the midfield doesn't exist in that formation anyway.

16. Wherefore art thou Romeu?

Wherefore art thou Romeu? Well-Known Member

"We need more experience. We need to find a better way of playing. F*****g Jones."

Same people:

"We should have been playing even younger players in the blind hope that stopped them chasing the money. F*****g Jones."

Exhausting trying to keep up with some of the relentless negativity.

17. Saints Fan4Life

I never said they should play every game at the expense of experience. Read what I said again and come back to me.

18. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

We have played cup matches against Cambridge, Sheffield Wednesday, Lincoln City and Blackpool this season. All fine opportunities to give first team exposure to the youngsters. No implications for our league standing. Ralph got Ballard into the match against Cambridge. That was the last we've seen of any of them.

19. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Give the man a break! He didn’t have pre season friendlies to come to terms with his best team. He’s still trying to get this going obviously. Any new manager would have done the same with those games

20. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

He had a month with basically our full squad to prepare. Also, the Blackpool match happened more than two months after he was appointed, at which point he'd had many more matches in charge than he would from preseason, and he left one of the kids on the bench in order to get a look at...Theo Walcott.