1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Wandering Yid, Feb 9, 2016.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

One obvious suggestion to weed out the careerists is to say that, if they fail to attend just two MPs surgeries a year for the length of a parliamentary session, they can be put up for reselection

That's a large part of why Oona King lost Bethnal Green & Bow in 2005, as she hadn't attended a single surgery in the previous four years - which George Galloway made sure to remind the constituents about at every opportunity

2. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

I wish it would tell me! I have recently bought a new laptop as my ancient desk top was on its last legs but oh how I miss it! Everything was so familiar but now I'm asked to 'sign in' for everything ---Iplayer, mail, family facebook vids etc,etc. What do I sign in? Did I have a password at some time, if so I don't remember. Also its 'found' lots of favourite clips & music which disappeared years ago, great, but all my favourite Elvis & various other bits & bobs have vanished. No sign whatsoever. And another thing, there is no refresh button or F5. I googled this, told ctrl R which works after after about 10 times! I hate anything new which is why I haven't renewed my unsmart phone. The only thing that went perfectly was signing back in here. <diva> COYS ( Any tips most welcome )

3. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Get a copy of Chrome, Go into 'Settings' then 'Passwords' and move the Blue Sliders (x2) to the right. (save offer to save passwords and auto sign in). That will sort out future issues. Is your old desktop still working? If so you should be able to export the bookmarks (favourite web sites). If you have forgotten passwords, you can normally click on 'reset password' and you get a link sent to your email. Hope this helps.

4. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

Cheers Deedub, I'll give it a try although it all sounds a bit complicated to me! To think, back in 1957 I used to be a Hollerith operator which was the forerunner of modern computers. We had a reinforced floor for the tabulator which printed all data from punch cards. Bit like Bletchley Park. Very state of the art then but massive. They were taken over by IBM eventually.
    The old desktop is still here and comes on but it has no internet now. Thanks again DD. I'm going to have my dinner now & will get back to it later.

bigsmithy9 likes this.
  5. humanbeingincroydon

Not necessarily

A few years back there was a Telegraph article that completely destroyed Alan Sugar's claims he and he alone saved Spurs, giving credit to various individuals under the club's employ who did a hell of a lot of work balancing the books, renegotiating debts and sponsorships and restructuring the club's finances (or, if you prefer, actually giving them a structure in the first place) who were at the club before, during and after Sugar showed up

I have been unable to find so much as a trace of this article for at least six years

6. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

7. Spudulike

What precisely does that have to do with twitter opening its API up to developers so they can access years of past tweets from any user they wish?

8. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Has been posted on the prem board. I’m shocked, bet you all are too!...

9. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

For your information your correct about my feelings for that religion. If I was in a lift with Trump,one of us would not get off!

10. humanbeingincroydon

This is hardly a recent story either, as both Rees-Mogg and Theresa May's husband have ties to companies shorting against the pound

Throw in how the EU laws on tax-dodging come in next January, which the UK wouldn't be part of, and suddenly the desperate attempts to see us crash out as soon as possible make so much more sense

In short, yet more people who didn't realise that Gordon Gekko wasn't the hero in Wall Street

11. bigsmithy9

There must be some Brexit fiddling going on. I wonder what Boris has hidden up his sleeve?

12. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

The belief that because Twitter allows you to do this TODAY
    means that they will do so a year from today, 2 yrs etc.

1. at all
    2. in a form that allows you to find what you actually seek

As Google emphatically showed with acquiring the Usenet archive
    and far superior search interface from Dejanews, they had no
    qualms about pulling the plug or making it unusable, when it SUITED THEM.

13. The RDBD

The "whingeing Pom" cliche has never been more savagely and
    embarrassingly epitomised than that. More is the pity that we
    cannot do 'life swaps' with libtards and their "brothers" in places
    such as Sudan, so the former can learn the true meaning of the
    words they spew out.

14. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

You don't need the internet on the old machine providing the browser still opens, you should be able to export the bookmarks (to a USB or similar) and import them into Chrome (right click the 'bookmarks tab' > import bookmarks). Failing that, you can do each favourite manually by hovering over the bookmark with your mouse, the URL should be shown, make a note of it and type it into box at the top of the browser. for instance, for this post you would type https://not606.com/threads/the-politics-thread.323088/page-580#post-13140984

15. humanbeingincroydon

16. Spudulike

As pointed out previously, there's tons of screen scrapers that pull in Twitter content. The fact is, if it renders via HTML markup, it's scrapeable. End of. So whether or not Twitter closes their API to the public today, tomorrow or whenever, it's neither here nor there. It's public domain. The API just makes it easier.

Yes, acquisition of Deja was purely about getting their search technology. It's a typical move from them to swallow up the competition and ensure they maintain market share dominance and stay ahead of the curve. Again, I really don't see how Google will affect a social media app/website. Sites like Facebook will be more inclined to try to swallow them up, like they did Instagram.

17. The RDBD

Capture mechanism is irrelevant. All that matters is whether those that first store it :

1. continue to make it publicly accessible
    2. make the means of search useful enough to find what you seek

Once either ceases (for whatever reasons) , down the 1984 memory hole it goes.

"Yes, acquisition of Deja was purely about getting their search technology. It's a typical move from them to
    swallow up the competition and ensure they maintain market share dominance and stay ahead of the curve.
    Again, I really don't see how Google will affect a social media app/website."

1. Internet media platforms (IMP) that censor material that they are not legally obliged to.
    Can you find those tweets via Twatter APIs ??

2. IMP search engines that make it very difficult to find content that goes against
    the political leanings of their current owners or commercial/political paymasters.
    Again when they are not legally obliged to do so.

Are you saying that does not happen today ??

There is a universe of web sites that have gone and nobody will likely ever see again.
    If you claim this not so, please find me an archive of microsnot.com up to its last day.

18. bigsmithy9

I read that "Boris lied to QE2!" Oh! Tell me this is not so!!!!!

19. humanbeingincroydon

Alexander Boris De Pfeffel Johnson says he didn't lie to The Queen when The Queen was given factually incorrect information by him

I think I have a JPEG for that...

please log in to view this image

20. bigsmithy9

Trump thinking about giving Iran (Iran?) a $16 billion dollar "loan!" Doesn't he know those sons of bitches want to wipe out America?