1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Wandering Yid, Feb 9, 2016.

1. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

I blame Simon de Montfort.

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Somehow the BBC Six O'Clock News' lead story wasn't how the Prime Minister of the country was part of a nationally televised trainwreck of such epic proportions, William McGonagall came back from the dead to write a poem about it.

3. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

The term you're looking for is meme chap. I much prefer this one however :emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0102-bigsm

4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The Conservatives have made a horrible mess of this campaign, but I'm still not buying the current polls.
    The ****e Tory effect and the nature of voting will easily see them over the line, in my opinion.

5. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Sadly true

6. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Still reckon the Tories will not significantly increase their current majority.
    As I said, harrass May ASAP on what majority she deems to be a mandate
    for "strong and stable" govt/leadership, and you could get a slogan going on
    'do not give them more than a N seat majority' .

7. humanbeingincroydon

Apparently losing six seats will cost her the election, according to that batshit Facebook post from a couple of weeks back.

Best make sure she loses twelve, just to be sure.

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  8. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

Oh dear, somebody's not looking so strong and stable anymore are they? Her attempted gag that falls flat at the end was a classic tumbleweed moment <doh>

9. She is looking decidedly weak and unstable....... that is really embarrassing stuff!!

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  10. humanbeingincroydon

Kudos to whoever it was that played Liar, Liar over a PA system in Cambridge, meaning that it was playing in the background of the Six O'Clock News.

This does beg the question thought: how is it that Radio 1 (among others) refuse to play it, yet when Amber Rudderless steps up to the podium this evening there will be the equivalent of a live snuff movie shown on BBC One?

11. yossarian

yossarian Well-Known Member

Is it possible that the Tories don't want to win this election? Perhaps they've come to the realisation that Brexit negotiations are more than they can handle and would rather let someone else deal with it.

12. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

As has been mentioned on the Prem board thread, Amber Rudd's father died on Monday. It is therefore particularly shameful and cowardly that she's been sent in to try and defend her less than strong and stable leader!...

13. humanbeingincroydon

There's two ways to look at this.

The first way is the theory that's been doing the rounds for some time saying the Tories are trying to tank the election so they can dodge responsibility of the mess they've caused this country by allowing an internal party squabble to mutate into the country being dragged out of the EU on the back of all manner of lies, in the hope the mess consumes whoever takes their place so they can come back into power shrieking "We told you so!"

The second one, which I suggested a few posts back, is the Tories are hanging Theresa May out to dry so they can get rid of her ASAP, which would go a long way to explaining why so many senior Tories aren't putting their neck out during this campaign - and the ones that are (namely Rudd, Fallon and Green) are as much an example of the Peter Principle as May is.

yossarian likes this.
  14. humanbeingincroydon

There is, of course, the third option...

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  15. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I note a lot of today's "news" re yesterday's debate concentrating on the make up of the audience rather than the (IMHO) far more important point of our glorious leader failing again to do anything leader-like, such as being there.

I may have a slightly skewed view of leadership given my military experience, but it does seem that politicians don't really see leadership in the same way. For example, his cronies continually holding up George W Bush as a "great war leader" when he notably went missing just after the 9/11 attacks, at a time when a leader most needed to be seen. And I don't care what advice he did or did not receive at the time, a true leader would have realised that he had to be seen regardless of the risk.

And now we have our PM who on one hand is trying to sell us on her "leadership" (compared to say Corbyn) but failing to demonstrate anything of the sort. I continue to be amazed that people are buying into this main tenet of the Tory campaign that May is far better to negotiate Brexit, when she continues to demonstrate not a scrap of leadership or ability. It's not as if her ascension to the "leadership" of the Tories was so long ago that people should have forgotten she mainly won by not doing anything while everyone else's campaign falling apart!

16. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

They had to spin it somehow and everyone that watched it seems to have come to the same conclusion about the debate.
    May didn't turn up, Rudd took a bit of a kicking and Corbyn held his own, while Farron grabbed spotlight.
    You clearly can't talk about any of that, from a Tory perspective, so you find a distraction.
    Go for the audience, despite the fact that it was selected by a polling company. Most people won't know that.

Just hope that nobody mentions anything about the Question Time audiences or it not work quite so well.
    Placing Tory Councillors and having them selected for questions is obviously entirely above board.

Hey, what's one plant in a crowd though, eh? Sorry, two plants:

That's ok, though. No bias at all.

17. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

In news that will shock absolutely nobody, Nigel Farage is allegedly a person of interest in the FBI's investigation into Trump and Russia.
    It would be a real shame if they were to extradite him and lock him up. A real shame.

18. That would be the true shock!!! No chance!! <laugh>

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

And another lines up to stick the boot in:

humanbeingincroydon likes this.
  20. I thought it degenerated into a pointless bunfight, which played right into Tory hands: Rudd made no ****ups and the rest fell into the 'coalition of chaos' narrative.
    Mays absence will rightly cast doubts over her leadership qualities (as if we needed anymore evidence!) but conversely she will benefit from distancing herself from the rabble. Annoyingly!! <steam>

BobbyD likes this.