1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

<laugh> Funny you should say that because a lot of our employees come from Europe (France).

2. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Though I have read the transcript of the speech (won’t get that time back) and can’t find the reference, please enlighten me. Perhaps he mentioned it in the Q&A. Not actually an example of detail on what the government wants though, more a credit to your company and their European partners.

I’ll give you a hand on what the government wants, from this speech - mutual recognition of standards in certain (unspecified) sectors, similar to what the EU has with Canada, Switzerland and South Korea.

3. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

You need to listen again.
    Although it will time you will never get back. :1980_boogie_down:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Why would I do that when you could simply provide the quote, if it’s not too much trouble for you.

Bad luck on the 60% Council tax surcharge you face on your second home in France.

5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Some people have phoned the police about the closure of their local KFC due to chicken shortages.

I think these people would be ideal volunteers for an experiment aimed at improving the gene pool. They should be offered free chicken, have their jaws held open in a vice like contraption and have fried poultry, including giblets and spicy sauces, forced down their throats in the manner of a Foie Gras goose. Call it aversion therapy. Or torture.

Uber_Hoop and kiwiqpr like this.
  6. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

That comes across as a nasty dig. A muppet thing to say but then you have proven what sort of a person you are.
    Muppet

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Interpret it however you like, darling.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  8. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I know and you know exactly what you meant.

9. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I posted on this thread with good humor but I would never attack anyone personally or wish them misfortune. I will call people 'remoaners' and I will take the 'P' out of both sides. Some time ago I posted that although I support Brexit I would never want people to lose jobs or have problems. It's not in my character to wish that on anyone.

So when I see this:
    It saddens me that posters need to stoop this low. Sb like others know I have a house in France and wishing me ill fortune because they are losing a debate is quite childish. I feel sorry for him because he has let himself down with this.
    Sadly Brexit is divisive and has/will cause problems but personal attacks on posters like this is unnecessary.
    I can see why the mods closed this thread for a bit.

10. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Interesting reading this thread, which, like the campaign before the referendum, has turned into a bit of a slinging match. Both sides can use cases and certain facts and figures to prove their view is right. In reality, we just won't know until it is all agreed and put into action. The full ramifications of Brexit will be seen in 10/15/20 years, when the UK is either a much lesser economic power, restrained by its independence and lack of trade partners, or bursting forth as an economic powerhouse, free from the restraints of EU laws.

I still hold the view that it is almost never good to distance yourself from your closest neighbours, and view here (Paris) is that it is a mistake that will see the UK left behind as Europe develops. However, we just don't know.

ELLERS likes this.

11. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Tell you what Ellers, as this has obviously upset you so much, I’ll voluntarily retire from this thread, leaving you free to write whatever you want. Don’t want to bother the Mods, though you might have complained to them already.

For the record I think it is funny that someone who consistently criticises France and the French, for everything from their work ethic, the way their public services work, their food (‘overrated’) to their countryside firstly has found himself in the sad position of having a property in a country he clearly despises because it’s not just like here, and secondly now has to pay more for the privilege. And I don’t feel sorry for anyone who has a second home. I don’t regard this as a personal attack at all, that would entail commenting on your character and personality, which I have never done. It’s just a dig at your expense.

But obviously I struck a nerve, your pocket must be a sensitive zone. For that I apologise.

Cheers.

BobbyD likes this.
  12. Lawrence Jacoby

Lawrence Jacoby Well-Known Member

I would say it’s the Brexiteers that are being manipulated and that can’t even see it
    Your new Britain won’t be anything like the vision on the side of that bus you voted on that is for certain. Time this is finished it will need to meet both sides demands and it will

You cannot have 52/48 in a united country the way I see it. I certainly still have no faith in the average Brexiteer running our country but even that to me doesn’t matter because I am smart enough to know that strings are being pulled here. The passion anyone on any side feels will be washed away by English politicians

13. Lawrence Jacoby

I personally of course love France and the lifestyle is gives me. I am living proof that it is possible with hard work that a lifestyle away from what the U.K. has become
    Yep just an opinion and each to their own
    I have a property of over 500m squared and a hectare of gardens and my own river
    This lot was £50k and I get the best weather in Europe at 304 days sunshine a year
    Travelling from the U.K. to France every second Wed what I am doing now saves me 675 quid a month.

The most important thing to me however is not my lifestyle it’s my legacy I give to my three boys all of which can never get on the housing ladder ever as far as I can’t see

My countryside in the U.K. has been raped by stockbrokers all of which have done nothing clever apart from steal from the system

All things can change of course but we will cross that bridge when and if it comes
    Until then I am going to enjoy it, I drive a great car and can even save money... that isn’t clever it’s just a way to adjust to what the U.K. has become because I have had to.

For me if it’s all weighed up then today for me it’s all points to a better lifestyle
    The U.K. is not going to magically reinvent itself in the lifetimes left to most on this forum

France and any country has problems

I hope Ellers sells his French idea as he is nowhere equipped for it imo. It’s isnt right for everyone and it’s no biggy. Thankfully buying in France is not an investment in terms of money ... it’s an investment in other ways if that’s your choice.

Until things change I am going to enjoy the worlds best roads and transport in general
    The sun of course that we all share and never seen in the U.K.
    Tech is easy if that’s your thing and I cant afford to be in the U.K. it’s choked and slow.

Your calendar changes when you use a second home ... it works and pretty soon I have found the differences are massive.

The U.K. programs people to book a two week holiday once a year and often the truth is generates more stress and problems. I say have a holiday every two weeks only then can it really be understood and it is possible to do to beat the system

If the system is fine to people then great

But if you have doubts then do not hesitate I say find your paradise

14. Lawrence Jacoby

I personally of course love France and the lifestyle is gives me. I am living proof that it is possible with hard work that a lifestyle away from what the U.K. has become
    Yep just an opinion and each to their own
    I have a property of over 500m squared and a hectare of gardens and my own river
    This lot was £50k and I get the best weather in Europe at 304 days sunshine a year
    Travelling from the U.K. to France every second Wed what I am doing now saves me 675 quid a month.

The most important thing to me however is not my lifestyle it’s my legacy I give to my three boys all of which can never get on the housing ladder ever as far as I can’t see

My countryside in the U.K. has been raped by stockbrokers all of which have done nothing clever apart from steal from the system

All things can change of course but we will cross that bridge when and if it comes
    Until then I am going to enjoy it, I drive a great car and can even save money... that isn’t clever it’s just a way to adjust to what the U.K. has become because I have had to.

For me if it’s all weighed up then today for me it’s all points to a better lifestyle
    The U.K. is not going to magically reinvent itself in the lifetimes left to most on this forum

France and any country has problems

I hope Ellers sells his French idea as he is nowhere equipped for it imo. It’s isnt right for everyone and it’s no biggy. Thankfully buying in France is not an investment in terms of money ... it’s an investment in other ways if that’s your choice.

Until things change I am going to enjoy the worlds best roads and transport in general
    The sun of course that we all share and never seen in the U.K.
    Tech is easy if that’s your thing and I cant afford to be in the U.K. it’s choked and slow.

Your calendar changes when you use a second home ... it works and pretty soon I have found the differences are massive.

The U.K. programs people to book a two week holiday once a year and often the truth is generates more stress and problems. I say have a holiday every two weeks only then can it really be understood and it is possible to do to beat the system

If the system is fine to people then great

But if you have doubts then do not hesitate I say find your paradise

15. Lawrence Jacoby

That won’t happen SB 60% of what?

16. Lawrence Jacoby

Oh I see 60% rise SB reported

I will settle for that as I currently pay €200 a year and my waste bins are emptied every two days . I also get 17 free fetes to attend each year all of which are almost free
    If I had small children then my village has a free crèche
    My street lamps are solar it costs nothing to park my car anywhere
    The old are looked after
    I even have a man that comes every week day to attend to flowers

I wouldn’t be put off with a 200% rise

sb_73 likes this.
  17. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

Can we all stop being quite so cantankerous on this thread!

If the Brexiteers were a little less triumphant, and the Remainers were a little less doomongering, there's a perfectly interesting and positive debate to be had on current political life. Stan, I hope you don't move away from this thread, because you're a first class poster, and Ellers too. I always enjoy reading both your stuff. For what it's worth, Ellers, I think Stan's was a throw away "Good luck with that" kind of line. I'm absolutely bloody sure he wasn't wishing you ill will, because that's not what he's about.

Let's get back to issues and leave personalities on the side....

18. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

free fetes to attend each year all of which are almost free :emoticon-0136-giggl

19. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

According to the Donald there's no global warming despite it being 72* in NYC today...

20. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

was this really left behind
    please log in to view this image

Uber_Hoop likes this.