1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I like Austria. Had a girlfriend from there once

Steelmonkey, kiwiqpr and QPR Oslo like this.
  2. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

In all 28!

3. QPR Oslo

What has Austria done to you then, are you jealous because theirs Alps are bigger than your Kiwis?

kiwiqpr likes this.
  4. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

That’s precisely what you’d get if you voted them in. Their ‘cancel Brexit’ policy is all they have. Prepare yourself for supercilious, pompous twats banging on passionately about all sorts of crap a well adjusted human being hasn’t the time nor arse to consider.

That bloody party irritates me more than Labour, full of old retired people, mortgages paid, reasonable health, kids off their hands, living in relatively pleasant areas with not a care in the world, but all the time to meddle with things they don’t understand. They’re quite happy to benefit from the ‘nasty’ administrations of the Tories without ever voting for them. Bunch of hypocrites and ****s.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Goldhawk-Road and kiwiqpr like this.
  5. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

When the Europeans get their empire and they get rid of the national vetoes Austria won't stop nothing
    Actually can't wait for the day they announce the thousand year european plan

6. QPR Oslo

Sounds like you must be starting to believe all that fake news you copy and paste.

Steelmonkey, bobmid and kiwiqpr like this.
  7. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

vetos will disappear
    the European project wont stand still because one country says no

8. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

We are both going to have a European Superstate in a few years but also we need to leave the EU to be magically protected when it crumbles in a few years.

Deleted......., QPR Oslo and kiwiqpr like this.
  9. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  10. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Mark Steel........

There are times when you realise how fortunate we are to live in a free society with a media that questions authority. For example, our prime minister visited a hospital and met a sick child’s father, who was angry at the state of that hospital, and angry that Boris Johnson visited for “a press opportunity”. And Johnson replied “there’s no press here”, in front of a big pile of press.

But luckily our most prominent political reporter dared to hold the powerful to account, by revealing the father is in the Labour Party, the deceitful pig.

Other reporters might have been distracted by tittle-tattle, such as why hospitals have got into such a state. But she stuck to the main issue, uncovering the scoop that he was in the Labour Party with exhaustive research, such as looking at his page on Twitter that said “I am in the Labour Party”.

That stopped his game of pretending he was angry because his child was ill and the hospital was falling to bits. He probably planned it all along, arranging for the baby to be born a week earlier, having moved to that area because it was the sort of place Boris Johnson was likely to visit, then fed the newborn baby unripe apples and cigarette butts to make it ill so he could pop down to the hospital, bump into the prime minister and make a cheap political point.

At least he should have been honest and said to Boris Johnson, “Hello prime minister, I’m distraught as my child is ill and relying on a crumbling underfunded health service, which brings its anxieties but in the interests of balance, before I continue I should disclose I’m a Labour activist”, the way any reasonable person would have done.

Holding the father up to scrutiny like this is much more important than asking how a prime minister can claim “there are no press here”, while stood amongst a squad of reporters and camera crew.

There’s probably more footage from later on, when he said “I’m not the prime minister, I’m one of the patients. I’ve just had my nose removed. I can play the xylophone with Twiglets. My father invented the ostrich. Where are we going next?”

At the moment he claimed “there’s no press here”, right next to him was a BBC camera crew, a video journalist and a journalist from the Press Association. But it’s possible the prime minister hadn’t noticed them, as cameras and tripods look uncannily like nurses and surgeons, and men with Press Association tags dangling round their neck are easily mistaken for bundles of laundry.

So he may not have known the press were there, as there were no other clues, apart from a notice sent out as a press release to the press including the Press Association. But we shouldn’t expect him to work out from this sort of complicated jargon that his visit had anything to do with the press.

Downing Street also sent round an operational note about the visit, to all the press, with the subject line “PM to visit hospital in London”. But this doesn’t mean the visit was for the press. He was simply informing them so they could avoid the area, as it was likely to cause traffic congestion while they were on the way to a more important story about a squirrel that climbed onto a bus.

After the visit, the Press Association posted forty-five photos of the trip, despite the fact they weren’t there, which is certain to be a major story in the next issue of Psychic News.

You might think, if someone was surrounded by a group of people that were obviously from one profession, which they had arranged themselves, it would be a worry if they couldn’t see them. If you booked painters and decorators, then wandered into your kitchen while they were painting and decorating and said “at least I won’t meet any painters and decorators today”, that might be a cause for concern.

If it happened in a hospital you might consider this was quite lucky, as the afflicted person could be wheeled straight in for an emergency scan to see if their brain had tipped upside-down.

But if the person concerned was the prime minister, and this was only the latest example of such confusion, this could be a major story, though thankfully we live in a more thoughtful country than that so the actual major story is that the bloke he said it to is in the bloody Labour Party.

If Boris Johnson had wandered into the X-ray room, dropped his pants and said “X-ray this beauty, you’ll find it’s full of lead ha ha”, the story would be “It has emerged the radiographer who tried to remove him once signed a petition against NHS cuts in 1988, so his opinion is worthless.”

And this is to be celebrated, because we need our leaders to have imagination and this prime minister is full of it, especially with regard to the Health Service. Our hospitals are only collapsing because we’re not counting the imaginary funding he wrote about on a bus, and parents are only worried because they see the press, when they could just as easily imagine all those reporters were astronauts or flamingos.

Always thinking, always creating, Boris Johnson has already moved on from proroguing and discovered the art of gaslighting, informing us the people in front of us aren’t there.

This is normal now. So thank the lord we don’t live in Russia or Iran, where their leaders are allowed to say any old twaddle and there’s no free press to contradict them.

Willhoops, Hoop-Leif, kiwiqpr and 4 others like this.

11. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Brilliant.
    In fairness to the Hulk, the problems in the NHS aren't his doing, but he just so happens to now be the man who can change things. The only problem with that, is his ability to tell complete lies while the truth is pointing straight at him. He is a complete bullshitter who doesnt give a flying **** about this country.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Willhoops, Stroller and QPR Oslo like this.
  12. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

What's he chatting about? Brexit is a great idea, so much good has come of it already.

Stroller, QPR Oslo and bobmid like this.
  13. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

I've always thought most people didn't really give our EU membership any thought until we were forced to.

QPR Oslo and Stroller like this.
  14. Uber_Hoop

Our much cherished parliamentary democracy, to the whom we assign complex issues that we’re ill educated to understand ourselves, decided that it should give the electorate a referendum on our EU membership. I’m led to believe this is the self-same parliamentary democracy that has now decided that the electorate got the answer wrong and it should therefore take over things in our best interests.

Could it possibly be that, like the late Lord Ashdown, our parliamentary democracy took it as read that the referendum would fall decisively on the side of Remain, upon which Europhiles could forevermore tell the Leavers to shut the **** up, you lost, deal with it, never bleat on about it ever again?

Who’d have thunk it?

Staines R's and kiwiqpr like this.
  15. Stroller

It was the Tory party that promised a referendum because it was scared of Farage. Don't blame parliament, it's a Tory story.

Willhoops and QPR Oslo like this.
  16. Uber_Hoop

Bollocks. It would never have happened had Parliament not waved it through. Of course, the Tories had a majority in the House, but it was brought about through our beloved parliamentary democracy in just the same way as the joyous governments of Heath, Wilson and Callaghan in the 70s.

Whatever the motives for it, it happened through the system most of us only cherish when our side comes out on top.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  17. Stroller

Well of course parliament had to pass the referendum bill, but the Brexit fiasco belongs to the Tories from start to finish - tearing the country apart over something that hardly anyone was really bothered about until Cameron decided that he could win a few more seats by spiking UKIP's guns. Turned out well didn't it?

Willhoops and QPR Oslo like this.
  18. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Oh they do like to be beside the seaside...<laugh>

kiwiqpr likes this.
  19. Uber_Hoop

It belongs to the electorate, Strolls. Us. Cameron had it in his manifesto at the GE, so the electorate wanted it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    kiwiqpr likes this.
  20. Stroller

You saw that stats that Frome posted, Ubes. It was only of concern to a tiny part of the electorate - the far right UKIP supporters that Cameron thought he needed to get on board to win an election.

QPR Oslo likes this.