Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

And the irish border????

2. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

But if the deal was to the benefit of the country (which it wasn't) it shouldn't make any difference - unless you think your Mr Corbyn should put party before country

3. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Really? Was it not because a deal had already been agreed? And as for Boris, we all know what a hypocrite and liar he is. Time will tell, if he has time. Depends what the USA instruct him to do.

4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Anyway, I’ve got a solution to all this.

We stay in the EU until we have negotiated a trade deal with them. When this is in place and ready to be implemented we honour the Withdrawal Agreement re the cash and citizens rights, and the Irish backstop is irrelevant because we have a new framework for EU -UK trade.

Done.

Deleted....... likes this.
  5. Goldhawk-Road

The withdrawal agreement was always subject to Parliamentary approval.

What I accept is that now, dealing with Boris, the EU has to know he can deliver in Parliament what they agree with him. If he has the ERG, DUP and Leave Labour MP's, he should be able to convince the EU he can get it over the line.

If he's wise, he'll sound out the aforementioned, before he takes any amended deal back to Parliament

bobmid likes this.
  6. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I couldn’t give a toss, really. :)

Loved Battle, Valiant, Action and Victor.

kiwiqpr and rangercol like this.
  7. Uber_Hoop

Well said that person, surely? Odie might be a Mx.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  8. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Don't forget commando

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  9. It's a win win*

*Address sent by PM so you can drive over and chin me

Uber_Hoop and sb_73 like this.
  10. Uber_Hoop

I go commando when I forget.

kiwiqpr likes this.

11. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

That'll do.

12. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

This sounds like a good compromise - the major problem is that there has to be a time limit attached to this process, because as long as we are in there then we have to send MEPs to Brussels who have no real function there other than to cause disruption. The EU wants you in or out - it does not want an unlimited halfway situation which drags on into eternity.

13. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Sounds like another 'Teresa in Trousers' solution, the eternal negotiation...

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  14. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

**** my mistake. Well said that thing!

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  15. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

So much negativity. Where's your 'can do' spirit? It'll be the easiest trade deal in history.

16. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Not a Boris fan then......

17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

The difference is now we have genuine brexiters leading the UK side of the negotiation, people who are also gung ho free market evangelicals who will be determined to get us a deal with the biggest and richest trade block on earth. The facts of our situation haven’t changed since last Tuesday, only the personnel and personalities have, so it’s fair to assume that personality and attitude will have to solve all the problems.

Where’s your ‘can do’ attitude? I put forward a sketchy but positive way forward, instantly shot down! I’m shocked that a Leaver, puffed up with the sight of the sunlit uplands that brother Johnson is leading us to, could be so negative! Put a time limit on this negotiation, set out our brightest and best on it, get there, no one loses face, we all live happily ever after. I’m assuming everyone on here recognises that we can’t just dump the Withdrawal Agreement and then expect to have a trade treaty with the EU amicably agreed? And that not to have a trade treaty with the EU, while claiming that they are the key to our future prosperity if they involve China, the US etc, is weird in the extreme?

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  18. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I think with our current government speed will be of the essence. They have to get the deal done by the next scheduled election, and they won’t see the electoral benefits of it unless it’s sorted well before then.

19. Good article in the Telegraph yesterday by Jeremy Warner who could hardly be described as a snowflake, remoaner or any other perjorative term still currently in vogue. He said he's happy to give Boris the benefit of the doubt for now and doesn't feel that pessimistic about the UK so is a bit irritated at the constant appeals for enthusiasm and optimism. He says we are not a country that needs to start believing in itself - it already does. I agree with him.
    I'm happy to acknowledge that Mrs May and Philip Hammond could have made announcements of billions of pounds of tax cuts and public spending sound as exciting as three weeks in Luxembourg so Boris has to provide an antidote. That's absolutely fine - but it feels like we're being run by a bunch of kids who've been given a years supply of sugar in an hour. I bet he and most of the Cabinet are the kind of people who jump up and do a Mexican wave when you're in the seat behind them...
    I am happy to give him a chance - and hope he pulls it off - but being a grumpy old git I do hope he and his colleagues turn it down just a notch in the coming months...

20. Goldhawk-Road

Yes, of course, personnel and personality can make a huge difference. The classic example is Chamberlain and Churchill. What happens at the top filters down. To be honest, what's Boris is doing has been so obvious to Brexiteers since the referendum, that it's just a relief to move forward.

The EU want a trade deal. They may say they don't for negotiating tactics, but since they had a trade surplus with the UK of £67bn in 2017, I can't believe the EU will spurn our future purchases of their goods.

In the next round of negotiations, I'm confidently expecting Robbins to be sitting on the EU side of the table

rangercol likes this.