1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I think I possibly would.

2. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

I don't see it that way because they would have a full manifesto, but have zero chance to implement it because they would be a minority party. As a Labour voter, you may say that it might be too far to the right for you and even possibly go into a coalition with the Tories (more likely than Labour). But I sense a Brexit Party would take a lot of Labour working class votes up North if we don't leave the EU.

3. GoldhawkRoad

I agree with Col. The fact that the EU have to act expeditiously if sufficient progress on a ft agreement has not been made after a year is some comfort. May's deal is a stepping stone to what we want. Depends now on the DUP

4. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

That's like saying would I prefer poison or a bullet to the head.

5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I have a funny feeling that she is going to get it through, as the ERG and DUP recognise that we are getting close to a no Brexit scenario, or at best a hugely delayed Brexit. And if you look at the content of the deal it really isn’t that bad from a Brexiter perspective, just the backstop, which if they do the next bit well would never come into play anyway, that’s a serious issue. If she gets it through, resigns and a more explicit Brexiter gets to take over as PM to do the future relationship stuff, surely that’s a win for them? And doesn’t it avert the stuff that Ellers and Goldie are talking about? Plus put Labour on the back foot.

I’d be delighted, I’m sick to death of the whole ****ing thing.

rangercol likes this.
  6. GoldhawkRoad

It's an irony that with the UK arguing with itself and the EU boasting of perfect accord, now that we're in a right fix and need an extension, our request could lead a huge disagreement between the member countries on the length of extension or whether one should be granted at all

ELLERS likes this.
  7. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Agree leave voting MP's would be pretty safe, so many Tory/Labour MP's will be okay... It's the remain MP's in leave constituancies that will get hammered. The would work with Leave Tories and DUP. People seem to forget it was 130? Labour leave seats where the MP's have been betrayed them and many Tory ones as well.

GoldhawkRoad likes this.
  8. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Both slightly unsure then. The thing is, if she fails again and there's a long delay (or possibly something worse from your perspective), the extremists in the ERG will be to blame won't they?

Is that a don't know?

9. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

You forgot one problem with this... The amendment today is to say she can't bring it back unless there are changes...by next week? No time.

10. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

The ERG will not get the blame for this. In fact 'Leave means leave' have supported them with their voting choice.
    Blame will go to remain MP's (mostly labour). I was surprised that many are being supportive to May.

11. GoldhawkRoad

Not from my perspective. They want a good deal or if impossible, WTO. That's where I have been. A huge Remainer presence in the Commons has frustrated this. Many Labour MP's want to stop Brexit altogether

rangercol likes this.
  12. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Agree, it is very sad how badly the MP's have let us down. They will all go for a long extension as it makes sense. They will probably say part of the conditions are not having any MEP's and demand loads of money and this weak house will say "how much, is that enough'?

GoldhawkRoad likes this.
  13. Stroller

The huge Remainer presence wouldn't have been able to frustrate the process if the ERG had backed May. It would have been done by now.

sb_73 likes this.
  14. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I am beginning to despise that Bracknell MP Lee. I really hope the deselect him.
    He has just said on Sky we should have another referendum and respect the result. "****"

15. GoldhawkRoad

Possibly, although Tory Remainers may have tipped the balance against May. If Parliament had rejected May and gone for WTO, I'm convinced we would have got a better offer from the EU at the last minute. As it is, Parliament has been weak and we're in a hell of a mess that may last many years

16. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Surely ‘real’ leave MPs would have to look at their respective parties’ manifestos before they could decide whether to stand on that platform? Could be that both Tories and Labour campaign on a stay in the Customs Union pledge. Wouldn’t you expect Rees Mogg (and Kate Hoey etc) et al to jump ship at that point? Or if he or someone like him has seized control of the Tories, and they have an ERG inspired Brexit as policy, wouldn’t that make a Brexit Party redundant? Possibly not, if it had the full populist manifesto. I’m thinking while typing, probably not thought through enough.

17. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

I can but hope Col :)

rangercol likes this.
  18. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

You could very well be correct, and a good few of those who you mention might vote for a Brexit Party.....and maybe rightly so if they have a full manifesto......I just can’t see it happening.
    Yeah probably might be a bit too far right for me.....think I’ll just abstain from voting completely from now on...as Col says..they are ALL a bunch of ****s.

rangercol likes this.
  19. GoldhawkRoad

If the Green Patty can get a manifesto together, a Brexit Party, which may include a number of currently standing MP's, should have no difficulty

20. Stroller

I'd vote for a Jamaica Patty.

Shawswood and Staines R's like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. Stroller