1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Player Exodus Begins!!

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by johnnywarksmoustache, May 8, 2018.

1. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Luke Hyam and David McGoldrick are both free to leave the club this Summer. I can't say that I am overly surprised as they have both been injury prone over the last few seasons. I bet Colchester must be rubbing their hands together at the prospect of taking our latest cast offs!

2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Not especially fussed about those two,but just a little surprised we're not letting the new manager see who he wants to keep/release?

3. johnnywarksmoustache

Maybe he already has!!

Bigalreigned likes this.
  4. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Yeah, both injury prone and in the case of McGoldrick, one of the highest earners at the club. I'm not disappointed to see either of them go and they have both been good servants for the club, however it seems like a natural time to allow them a fresh start elsewhere. I expect Gleeson will join this list and maybe even Carayol, who has shown flashes but is far too injury-prone. I wonder if Gerken or Crowe, the two back up keepers, will also move elsewhere as I believe their contracts are also up this summer. Not to mention all the loanees have returned, so that's Iorfa, Carter-Vickers, Connolly, and Celina all gone from the squad.

5. johnnywarksmoustache

Malcolm Webster has also retired which will be big shoes and gloves to fill! Many decisions for the new manager to make on new players and new backroom coaching staff.

6. johnnywarksmoustache

Maybe we could persuade old Jug Ears to leave Man City and return to his homeland! <laugh>

7. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Add in wages of Bru, Hyam and McGoldrick (not forgetting Mick and TC) and we'll possibly be able to offer the new manager a little bit of flexibility in the transfer market.

That will probably equate to 3 or 4 decent free transfers for 10k each which would hopefully bolster the squad with some quality and allow the youngsters to earn their corn from the bench as and when needed

8. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Don’t want Gary Lineker....

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  9. johnnywarksmoustache

Erm he's from Leicester...

10. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I refuse to listen to the self obsessed prick so wouldn’t know...:emoticon-0100-smile

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I am baffled by the decision given our thin squad but the fact that we have turned a strong midfield prospect into a free transfer says more about the previous manager and his coaching staff than it does about what is going to happen next.

12. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

In a strange way I'm slightly disappointed to see Hyam go. Whilst limited I still think if used correctly he could be a half decent player in this division as a defensive midfielder. It's similar to that of Smith leaving, both still of a good age and have half decent experience come through our academy and wouldn't let us down, it's always a shame when they leave.

As for McGoldrick, not overly disappointed, think we should have cashed in on him years ago, too injury prone and despite his obvious talent for me his movement and positional play are very poor which impacts on the whole team when attacking. Only reservation I have is he's clearly a talented player and it would be interesting to see if a different manager may have been able to improve these parts of his game.

Bigalreigned likes this.
  13. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

I think Hyam should have been released two years ago to be honest, somehow penned a two year deal when broken. Madness.

Not a massive fan of Hyam at all - however - IF FULLY FIT for a sustained period of time, 5 - 8 months then he's for sure worth having as part of our 18. That I'm certain of.

The issue for me is how likely based on his injury problems since the middle of the 14/15 season? Doesn't appear to be very.....

According to Soccerway -
    17/18 campaign - stats = 664 minutes played. 6 starts, 11 sub appearances.
    16/17 campaign - stats = Contributed zero. Sadly injured.
    15/16 season - stats = 886 minutes for town. 9 starts, 6 sub appearances.
    15/16 season ( Rotherham loan ) - stats = 215 minutes. 2 starts, 3 sub apparances.

That's FIFTEEN starts in three seasons. in 138 league matches. 11% of games started despite picking up a weekly wage. We're not a charity! As for these games, he's hardly likely to have been 100% in many of them. Awful value for £££££ and in my eyes, had to go.

McGoldrick.......... ah McGoldrick. The most natural ability we have, one of our own........ however again absolutely made of glass. Rumour he's our top earner, and I think again, had to go. Wish both the best however think the right decisions have been made.