1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

*** The pilgrimage Bar***

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by WestCountrylalala, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Well i dont have any pension and i understand the state pension is peanuts. But i have always been worried about placing lots funds in pensions as in my view are not safe nut what do i know. so for me my property investments will have to do. but then i get taxed on the sales Capital gains tax, so really cant win, i have a few stocks and shares .. so it will be all the money i have in the company to keep me going.
    None of my staff want to pay a pension as they have all opted out , they are young and need the money now for their families and mortgages .. i can only advise them but its there choice ..

I mean a pensioner to me is 65 Plus or is it 67/8 now. im unsure as it keeps going up, and yeh alot retired early as they could take or draw down was it 55 or less? well my kids wont have to worry about my pension.. may be the properties tho so no better ,, tax is going up.. surprised the vat has not gone with it yet .
    Thats the biggest burden being a VAT collector for the Goverment i dont get paid for that :emoticon-0172-mooni:emoticon-0172-mooni

2. Greenarmyjoe

I will get these drinks sensible, pluym i suppose you will have one also .. now im buying .. again

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

When I started with the Council you could finish at 55. As I approached that age they suddenly moved the goalpost and it was 60 if you went early. However there was a penalty clause. My kids think that they will never retire the way the age for state pension keeps moving. They could be right.

Mines a very very very large one thanks Joe. Don't mind which bucket it comes in...........

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

My daughter’s just gone into a public sector scheme. She’s required to pay in 5.5% of salary. The notes say the employer will pay in “2 to 3 times as much” which gives total contribution of 16.5% to 22% of salary. A base level private sector scheme would probably take 5% + 5%.

In a previous life, I worked for a private sector company that operated outsourced blue collar support contracts for public sector organisations. Those require the contractor to TUPE over the workforce and their employment rights for the duration of the contract. Pensions were always the killer: I’ve seen schemes where the employer alone was having to contribute 30%.

Was it “The Rule of 55”? If your age plus years of service equals 55, you could retire on a full pension? So start at 20, retire at 55 on a full pension with perhaps 30 or 35 years in payment? You can see why a fund of £1m starts to look less outlandish.

I mourn the passing of defined benefit pension schemes. They were a very valuable benefit for the employee and its right employers should make realistic contributions to it.

But they’re an easy taxation target for governments: most don’t understand them and for many, they’re of no interest until it’s far too late. It’s the same with freezing tax thresholds to drag more and more people into higher rate bands: taxation by stealth. Let the dog see the rabbit and do it by increasing percentage rates and see how many votes they get.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  5. Greenarmyjoe

Why is this placed locked up again. we have plenty to cheer about ..

6. notDistantGreen

There is a story every week about a local pub or restaurant closing due to high costs and fewer customers through the door. The Perillas chippy on North Road is the latest I've seen...

Perhaps we'd be better off waffling on at the bar here here rather waffling on in other threads nearby!

please log in to view this image

7. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't mind a good waffle with most people......but ?

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

HaHAHAHAHaHa!!!!!!

I like a waffle and sausage, egg, tomatos and mushrooms. Not forgetting the pork bit with the bacon of course.

9. Greenarmyjoe

Well we cant have this bar closing down.. Come on Sensible yuour the bar manager .. kets get it back up and running

get rid of the mice first

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Ok then. First drink comes free with a packet of crisps (flavour of choice) and nuts. We can then have a happy hour although given it's an Argyle bar that might not be as easy as it sounds.

11. Greenarmyjoe

not much waffling in here at present, are we all nervous.. :emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer:

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm supping quietly and contemplating the world of football. I have had a sly nibble on my nuts as well. I'm not nervous. If we go up we go up and if we don't then so be it and we come back again next year. I've been doing this supporting thing too long to expect. Me and my crowd have agreed it's been a very good season no matter what.

13. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Red Wine helps me...

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Red Wine helps you what BC? Fall over in the snow?

15. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Oh you are silly..24C here.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You're lucky it's normally 2point4 degrees here lately.

17. Greenarmyjoe

well its been wet and cold today so a nice single malt to warm up please ,, plyms paying

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

We don't take moths only hard cash or cards.......

Greenarmyjoe likes this.
  19. notDistantGreen

Jack Daniels man myself. Do you have have any barman?

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

No we don't have a barman and the barmaid has run off with the brewery rep so it's serve yourself.