1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

*** The pilgrimage Bar***

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by WestCountrylalala, Jun 20, 2011.

1. brb

brb CR250

No way <laugh>

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I doubt it....I think Joe's just being cheeky.

brb likes this.
  3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Is that the Aden memorial on the Hoe Plym?

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Well done notDistant....when I was down there 4 odd years ago I was gobsmacked to come across it by chance.....my national service was spent out there in the Aden Colony between...1960/62....114 Maintenance Unit, RAF Steamer Point... so I'm a member of the Aden Veterans Association....which allows you to track down mates that you made out there.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

On a family ramble about the Hoe we came across that little garden down below the bandstand never having been in that area before. Lots of memorials down there for conflicts outside the WW1/WW2 mainstream. I did zoom in on the pic to read the text though and recognised the car park beyond as being on the Hoe!

In this company, I feel ashamed at never having served, so well done you. My Dad did National Service at RAF Church Fenton, largely comprising sports and skiving off as far as I can tell. On one occasion he was flown down to Wales in a 2 seat Meteor fighter to play rugby for whatever Group the station was part of. A hard life.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

When I got posted abroad to Aden....they had only recently stopped embarking you to such places by troopship.....we had the luxury of flying by the new Comet 4 or Britannia's....stopping at Tripoli over night....and then flying down to Kano (Nigeria) for refuelling and also stopping at Nairobi (Kenya) before the heat of RAF Khormakser Aden......those were the days when we had to fly around Egypt..post Suez days of course (we had to fly in civvies,non-military of course). When I flew home it was a non-stop 12hr flight by Britannia.....you nearly had to dislocate your knees to get into your seat...so little space and such a slow flight...12hrs of misery.

I only served because I was three months too old to miss National Service which officially finished around 1957/58 time.....but I had an apprencticeship to finish so went in three years later....and of course being now regular forces...us National Service men were more of a nuisance than a benefit....to continue my trade in the RAF I would have to of signed on for three years.....having lived on RAF camps all my life (Dad 28yrs RAF) that was a definite no no....so became a stats clerk for my sins..

7. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The funniest thing I was ever witness to regarding service in that region was when the Defence Minister visited Bahrain in 1967. We all had to be on our best behaviour and got turned out to meet him. I was 17 at the time. He came into one of our Offices and was introduced to a wizened old Chief who got asked by him what he thought about serving in Bahrain. He thought a moment and replied "Well Sir, the Persian Gulf is the asshole of the World and Bahrain is 500 miles up it". The silence was defening until the then Minister almost pee'd himself laughing. Aden was at the entrance of the asshole.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

There's a 1000 miles of the Arabian Peninsula between Aden and the start of the Persian gulf.....so that is an hell of an entrance.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

On the map it looks just around the corner............but it's still the asshole of the world wherever it is.

10. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Hello chaps, there is a petition created by the organisation Against League 3 to petition the government to set up an independent football regulator. Nothing will probably come of it, but there's no harm in signing because English football sure as heck can't regulate itself:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/268665

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Right then, you're in charge Plym as I'm off for a week now. Make sure they behave. And have a drink on me. BC, have a great time in the UK and will catch you next time.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

You never told us how big the slate was behind the bar sensible......never expected it would be only one pint and six straws.

13. SaintLapras

I hope you signed the petition before you left, greeny.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm boycotting any requests from Pompey persons because Wooperts said he doesn't like me and I'm very sensitive. You are lucky I've even replied with an explanation. I might get over my sulk after my hols but I can't promise.

XX

15. SaintLapras

Awww, I wonder why Woopert doesn't like you... for what it's worth I like you!

16. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

That's it Lapras - reverse psychology.......I told you it would work........ :emoticon-0136-giggl

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There is one hell of a smell in here. Think a bird died. Somebody could have cleaned up the bird **** and feathers.

Anyway, despite this being election day (note the time of the posting), it is still the festive season. So I have ditched the old stock of nuts and crisps (well sold them down the market anyway) and got a new stock in just for you peoples. I am offering drinks at half price for the foreseeable future or until the barrel and bottle run out. No need to thank me but you can put one in behind the bar if you wish. Oh and I've also bought smaller straws so the drinks will last longer.

18. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Thanks Sensible, it's time i bought you a drink. One day i will.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Right everybody pay attention. It is fast approaching that one day a year when all of you go to Church and give thanks for everything before going home and stuffing yourself sick with goodies. I hope that you all, that's paid up members and visitors alike, have a great Christmas and New Year. Lets hope that 2020 is our year and the Phoenix will have finally fully risen from the ashes and is on it's way back to where it belongs. Just in case anyone is in doubt that's Argyle as the Phoenix. Merry Christmas to all and families.........................hohoho!

(and BC, stop chasing Rudolf and his mates around the frozen waste, they have done enough running about or will have)

20. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Roger that Mr Sensible. A Merry Xmas to you and Yours.

I was at the cabin last year when i heard a noise on the roof.
    I went and checked it out, it was a red coated bloke up there.
    so i said " I don't care who you are Fat Man, get that Reindeer off my roof"

A Merry Xmas to all, and to all a good night.