1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Paul Hurst how long do we give him thread

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by johnnywarksmoustache, Aug 22, 2018.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure how they put together the odds on this, because it was obvious to me that Stoke would struggle.

2. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

I happen to think Stoke will click and do well.

Bookies schmookies - they can come up with what they want.

Forest to win the league was my point pre season - gotta stick with that.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  3. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Just goes to show....bookies know far more than us, they were right to have us as one of the favs for relegation!

Westlake33 likes this.
  4. Westlake33

Well they said the same last season too.

Hopefully it can click!!

5. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

League tables can be a bit of a red herring though.. Particularly this early in the season. It's always about the points on the board.. which is equally concerning I accept, but after 5 games of a previous season, those 2 point could have us sat outside the relegation zone completely... Would that change your perception?

One thing I wholeheartedly agreed with Mick was when he said he did't pay too much attention to the league table and that he knew that if we got a certain amount of points we'd finish in the top 6. We can control (to a certain extent) the amount of points we put on the board. So we have to focus on controlling the 'controllables'

2 wins could potentially elevate us up to around 12th such is this 'bonkers' league so I wouldn't get too worries about league positions

6. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

7. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

If you think that things are bad for you after a short amount of games (I am a QPR fan), just think how gutted you would feel if you supported West Ham, seen your manager spend close to £100 mill and still have a played 4 lost 4 record.

8. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

You could have just finished your sentence there surely? :bandit: :emoticon-0107-sweat

Having said that, the signings of Cameron, Hemed and Wells look pretty decent and you at least have a win to your name so far this season.

Westlake33 likes this.
  9. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

and a huge kick up the arse (7 -1 from West Brom!! New managers, new systems, and trying to get the players to buy into what you want to achieve. Not easy.
    keep the faith

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

If I was a West Ham fan I would just be so ashamed of the owners robbing tax payers blind.

If you are comparing them to Town in footballing terms I would take West Ham's team over our own I think it's safe to say.

11. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

If we don't get a win before the next international break then he has to be gone surely!

12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Morning Warky. What do you think that would that achieve given who we could realistically bring in?

There's no way Evans is going to write off Hurst's salary and contract. I'd forget that idea.

What we need to be looking for is proper backing in January, probably with a view to building a side that can win League One.

Bigalreigned likes this.
  13. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Well he might well get us out of this league

14. Westlake33

You're surely not suggesting, if we're in the bottom 3, Hurst be given MORE ££££ in January?!

Hurst's been reasonably backed financially this summer.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

What we have spent this summer on players some other clubs in the Championship have for their loo roll budget.

16. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I agree that we spend comparatively little in this division compared to other teams. It’s also worth noting that we are still a few million in profit, based on incomings and savings made over this summer. However, if we are still in the bottom three come January, and there are no signs of an immediate recovery or upturn in form, then I am unsure if Hurst should really be the man to benefit by greater levels of spending.

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

You know the passing of Kevin Beattie really puts things into perspective. It seems utterly futile to split hairs over the current crop right now.

Hurst could play any configuration of any player at the club and we would still be a million miles away from where we all want the club to be. And yet they are all Ipswich Town players - players who will come and go just the same as the great ones - the one thing that will never change is the Football Club in the blood of the people of Suffolk.

I'm sure that as the tributes pour in and are paid on Tuesday night every one of the squad will be reminded of, or learn, just what an honour it is to pull that shirt on.

ostlan, Redruth, Westlake33 and 3 others like this.
  18. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be great if Tuesday could be used as a tribute to The Beat and inspire us to our first win of the Season.My worry is for the vast majority of the players the response will be "Kevin who?"

Redruth and Westlake33 like this.
  19. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Well said, Hampy

20. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Relegation would be disastrous for us, if as most of us think we are underfunded now think about the reduced income from being a 3rd division Club, any of our players worth anything Evans would sell, other players who joined us to escape the lower leagues would want away, loan players wouldn't want to come here, Evans wouldn't be able to charge the exorbitant entry prices he does now so further reduced income and that's if gates stay the same! Entry to Hull was £12 for away fans.
    There are examples of Clubs going down and coming back stronger but they had an ambitious board / owner, and a skilled manager, coupled with a carefully thought out and costed strategy, we have none of these requirements.