1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Official Not606 Petronas Malaysian GP Chat & Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by El_Bando, Mar 20, 2012.

?

who will be hot in Malaysia?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. Jenson Button

35.6%
  2. Sebastian Vettel

11.1%
  3. Lewis Hamilton

35.6%
  4. Mark Webber

4.4%
  5. Fernando Alonso

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kamui Kobayashi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Kimi Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sergio Perez

4.4%
  9. Pastor Maldonado

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Michael Scumacher

6.7%
  11. Nico Rosberg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Romain Grosjean

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Bruno Senna

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Danial Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Other

2.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

Vettel lost his temper, big deal, it just shows hes human, we all say things we'll regret later. Agree with Bhaji too, not many of us have used salad based insults though.

2. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

That's true. People have moaned that Vettel is too scripted or too corporate. Quite nice that he's human after all and not the borg. :)

3. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

<doh> ****ing hell, you are going on about opinions when you are the one who jumped on a simple opinion I made and decided to make a massive thing about it. <doh>

I really can't be arsed to get into semantics because it is both petty and pointless. If you want to split-hairs about every single word and deal only in facts then there would be no point in discussing F1 what so ever. There are no facts, only interpretations, you can't prove anything. So saying on an internet forum that your opinion is wrong because it is not fact is stupid because you could apply that to absolutely everything.

There is a difference between saying what somebody has done is stupid and actually calling then an idiot. Everyone does stupid stuff occasionally but it does not make them an idiot and therefore it is not massively disrespectful to say that what someone has done is stupid, because everyone does stupid stuff. Blatantly calling a fellow driver an idiot though is disrespectful and arrogent.

EDIT: Also I got an A in my psychology A-level and have done bit of both sports psychology and criminology at uni so I do not need a two-bit psychology lesson. <ok>

4. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

It's the sort of stupid thing i would do, and if i would do it, it can't be that good for your image. But again, it just shows Vettel to be a human being, he's just a bit peeved he doesn't have the best car, and he's letting his frustration talk, in a style Lewis Hamilton would be proud of.

5. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I actually felt sorry for Karthikeyan.

First off he has to drive that bucket of a car, then has both Vettel and Horner acting like complete elitist jerks. He looked a bit fed up with the whole situation.

Horners comments towards HRT made me want to scream. They have a fraction of the cash that the top teams have. It's a miracle they make it to the grid at all. They deserve some respect too.

Edit:
    Thinking about it.... It was just Horner that really narked me off. Grrrr.

6. chrispa76

chrispa76 Member

woops plenty of replies came while I was writing this, but i will let it stand anyway :)

Firstly, just to make sure, I hope you understood that my quote on your link and my comment on it was not directed towards you, I just found it funny and needed to comment on it :)

Okay, sorry for butting in on your conversation, but I found a flaw in that statement.

Actually, nothing of what he said was disrespectful towards Finnish people or their culture. I can not hear anything that suggest that, and I really don't understand what you are getting at.. Are you possibly suggesting that Finnish people are heavy drinkers or something? If you are, isn't that a bit disrespectful towards them, to stereotype like that?

Okay, I admit, I do know what you mean. However, all he did was asking if Kimi was drinking vodka and made no reference towards Finnish people what so ever. You made the reference really :p

And a question:
    I do not really see where the debate is in the first place? It is many pages to scroll so please forgive me should I have missed something. It looks to me that it was you who had a problem with other peoples opinion about Vettel being disrespectful, you stating that everyone are like that. Right? So your argument that opinions are not fact and can not be proven, really falls back right at you. Doesn't it?

Silver, I hope you are not taking this the wrong way, thinking I have negative intentions, with writing this. Just hoping to understand, or to make you understand. Either way is fine with me :)

7. Max Whiplash

Max Whiplash Well-Known Member

Interestingly, Autosport rated Karthikeyan's performance on Sunday as equal to Vettel's. ;) They gave both a '7'. I guess that makes Vettel an idiot too :laugh:

Or indeed a cucumber.

8. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Creating an argument out of nothing? I think you'll find we actually do expect that from you!

Just my quick two pence on the Alonso thing, you single out Petrov for 'disrespect', but mention nothing of Alonso's reaction to him beforehand on the slow down lap.............. was that not a bit disrespectful if you're going down that route, essentially saying another driver was not free to race him? Or is petulance different from disrepsect, hence Vettel was petulant rather than disrespectful to Karthikeyan?

Oh and you can't win a debate if there's nothing to prove! How does that work? If you;re saying there is nothing to prove, then surely its 50/50 if opinions cannot be proved? Or do you think that by saying there is nothing to prove means you win teh debate?

For all the psychological 'ramblings' you have on here, your reaction to others opinions suggest maybe you should do some work on yourself? Oh oh wait, you do like Hamilton, it's just everybody else that interprets your posts in a different way!

Nurse! :)

9. tomcat606

tomcat606 Member

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport/story/74465.html

-----------
    Vettel, cucumbers and Karthikeyan
    Laurence Edmondson March 27, 2012

How a driver celebrates in victory reveals little about his true character, but defeat offers a genuine insight into the man behind the visor. Formula One's insatiable appetite for news and reaction means drivers are thrown into TV interviews just minutes after stepping out of the cockpit and often without the opportunity to decompress their thoughts. For the most part they automatically revert to their media training and give nothing away, but sometimes they struggle to hold back.

After stepping out of the 50C heat of his Red Bull cockpit in Malaysia, Sebastian Vettel saw no reason to hold back. With his hair still soaked in sweat, he reflected on his collision with backmarker Narain Karthikeyan, which shredded his tyre and ruined his race. Speaking in his native German he criticised Karthikeyan's driving and labelled the HRT driver a "cucumber" (or possibly a gherkin depending on your German translation). Speaking to the BBC he ruled out any ambiguity by simply referring to Karthikeyan as an "idiot".

Watching the BBC interview it was compelling to see the happy-go-lucky Vettel that we've come to know and love from top three press conferences transform into the deadly serious persona we've only heard exists behind closed doors in the Red Bull motorhome. It was an insight, albeit a very brief one, into the steely determination that lies beneath Vettel's polished veneer of humour and one-liners. That's not to say he isn't being genuine when he smiles for the cameras and jokes with journalists, it's just that his character is much deeper than that and his success has come from knowing when to be stern and when to be laid back.

By most accounts last season was a breeze for Vettel, and for the majority of the time we enjoyed the affable side of his personality as he collected poles and wins. However, his demeanour at the Belgian Grand Prix was notably different as he learnt that his car's suspension settings were putting undue stress on the tyres which had the potential to cause a failure. On the Sunday morning before that race the serious side of Vettel came to the fore as he held a heated and very open conversation with a Pirelli technician in the middle of the paddock. I was lucky enough to observe that conversation, out of earshot I might add, but it was clear he wanted to know exactly what he was up against and didn't care who knew about it.

His comments in Malaysia were much the same. Vettel knows just how important 12 points could be by the end of the season and in his mind Karthikeyan robbed him of them with a clumsy error. You may not agree with Vettel about the accident (although the stewards gave Karthikeyan a post-race penalty after reviewing all the evidence), but he got his message across.

Of course, Vettel is not the first driver to speak his mind following a race and he certainly won't be the last. Think back to Felipe Massa's incomprehensible rant about Lewis Hamilton at Singapore last year and the subsequent pat/thump on the back he gave the McLaren driver in the interview pen. Earlier in the year at Monaco, Hamilton was the one creating headlines when he slagged off not only his fellow competitors but also the stewards. Such displays of emotion often take TV audiences by surprise, but think back to the last time you were badly cut up on the road and the irrational anger that welled up inside and you start to understand the stress these guys are under.

But the trick is to pick the battles worth fighting and, ideally, pick ones you can win. By bad-mouthing the stewards Hamilton didn't do himself any favours and the McLaren PR machine went into overdrive to cover for their man. Equally Massa's pleas for the FIA to act against Hamilton did nothing to diffuse the growing animosity between the two drivers and ultimately it didn't do either of them any favours. However, the next time Vettel comes up to lap Karthikeyan the HRT driver will no doubt make extra room as, even if Karthikeyan didn't think the collision in Malaysia was his fault, another incident would damage his reputation far more than Vettel's. It may have cost Seb 12 points this time, but his comments after the race could help him towards 25 at the next race.

Laurence Edmondson is an assistant editor on ESPNF1
    © ESPN EMEA Ltd.

-------------

10. Delete Me

Delete Me Well-Known Member

And yet you tried...

Like I said from the start "Prove it" you can't.

We can end it here if you like and just agree to disagree? If you really studied psychology you would know this is an unwinnable argument no matter how good your A-grade was at school.

If you read the first post you would see I said "prove it" Mifune came out with incidents that have no similarity or consistency with Vettel's issue. So he is not trying to prove anything he is trying to show me his formation of how he see's "disrespect", so he clearly cannot prove anything because he is only looking for what he wants.

Mifune even says it applies to everything and I agree with him on that, but he's the one intent on trying to single out instances and say that goes into one group and that another, that's disrespect, that's just being sarky, he's not proving anything. It's just Mifune giving a perspective on what's considered right and wrong.

But that's the thing allsaintchris, I did win the argument (by default) because he is unable to prove no driver will ever do what vettel did as it's impossible to put any driver into the same senario to make a fair judgement let alone an accurate one.

Hence what I said at the start "prove it" he can't.

Prove is to state fact, fact is 100% right.

It's not fact that Jenson Button or Vitaly Petrov will never lose their temper like Vettel did since it's impossible to give a fair result. Just because they might not say it into a camera doesn't mean they wont do it somewhere else behind the scenes, that would be unfair as it can be taken into consideration that all drivers are all like that on their day, wherever they're inside their house, on a toilet, on a montain top or standing in front of a camera.

To say Jenson wont ever be "impetuous" or get ****ed off is like me saying I would never cry as both are highly likely to happen someday in our lives. Just because he hasn't said it in front of a camera doesn't mean he has never done it before or will never do it.

11. Max Whiplash

Jeez! Ok, Silver, you win, you win!!!!! :shocked:

Incidentally, just what was it that made you want to study psychology...? <whistle>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers for posting the article, tomtom, very interesting. I've never forgotten seeing Vettel yelling and pointing at that Pirelli guy at Spa. Of course, it transpired that Red Bull themselves were the culprits by putting some dangerous camber on the cars. I wonder if Seb went to apologise later...

12. genjigonzales

genjigonzales Active Member

Prove it. I think Mifune wins. :emoticon-0105-wink:

13. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

yeah proove it, this post needs 130+ more posts to beat last years canadian GP thread ;)

14. Max Whiplash

:laugh: Indeed. And I think it amply proves allsaintschris's post #908!

15. Delete Me

Not good enough max, I want MORE! ;)

To be honest I forget now, maybe I felt it was just more worthwile in life asking the question of the "why?" instead of just accepting the society as it is.

Also I was very interested in how the likes of Fangio, Clark and even Senna's mindset would be like to face death on the race track. They enjoyed racing yet accepted death easily.

16. Delete Me

I disagree, the amount of words typed should be the estimate of proof, not actual posts ;)

17. Bergkamp a Dutch master

has this now run it's course?

18. Delete Me

For me it has yes.

19. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

What exactly is your point? That nobody can back up anything they say so there is no point in saying anything at all on here? If so then I will trust that you will never post on here again, don't want to be a hypocrite now do we? :)

I stated my opinion which I had come to by my own deductions and observations and you are the one who disputed it, so I do not see any reason why I should have to agree to disagree. I do not care what you think, it has zero bearing on what I think so you can disagree with it all the like but I really do not care.

20. Bergkamp a Dutch master