1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Official Not606 German GP Chat & Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Forza Bianchi, Jul 17, 2012.

?

Who will win the German GP?

Poll closed Jul 20, 2012.
  1. Fernando Alonso

31.3%
  2. Mark Webber

3.1%
  3. Sebastian Vettel

31.3%
  4. Lewis Hamilton

15.6%
  5. Kimi Raikkonen

3.1%
  6. Nico Rosberg

3.1%
  7. Romain Grosjean

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Jenson Button

6.3%
  9. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Pastor Maldonado

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Paul Di Resta

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Michael Schumacher

6.3%
  13. Felipe Massa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Kamui Kobayashi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Ha! I'm having fun today…
    ;)

AbsolutelyGlorious
    has gone to some effort to produce a diagram and has also made his views on circuits limits known. However, I wonder if in doing so, AG, you may have overlooked the implications of your suggestion:
    Masanari presents a very pertinent question:
    Indeed, Masanari.

A logical continuation of AG's willingness to ignore circuit boundaries, however ridiculous this may sound, would be to ignore the existence of the 'whole' circuit by doing doughnuts the required number of (lap) times across the start finish line!

This is the underlying problem for rule makers and what those rules actually mean! It is the very reason that clear, unambiguous rules/regulations are required in all sport and competition, so as to be interpreted in the same way by all, thus distinguishing off-road rally drivers from road circuit drivers, and clarifying what can be expected to be seen by the public who ultimately 'support' it!

Q: In football (Soccer*), when is a goal not a goal?
    A: A goal shall be deemed to have occurred when all of the ball has crossed a line drawn between two posts set 24 feet apart and under their adjoining cross-bar which shall lie between them, 8 feet above the 'goal line'.

Q: In a fight, (Boxing, Queensbury Rules*), what constitutes a legal blow and how will the contest be decided?
    A: Such contact between competitors is limited to what occurs through the outer surface of gloves which will be of a pre-defined type and weight. The contest will be over when one competitor is no longer able to defend him or herself.

Q: In athletics (1500 Meters*), how far will its runners actually run?
    A: Runners must complete at least 1500 meters (not less than the whole distance of the course). In turn, the course itself is defined by lines which competitors must not 'cross'. It should be clear that there is then a need to define what constitutes 'crossing' any such lines!

*N.B. Note that each competition is defined by its unique set of rules, such that soccer be not confused with rugby; that boxing be not confused with karate; and that the 1500 meters be not confused with the 100 meters. Similarly, closed circuit road racing requires its competitors to complete a set number of circuits of the course defined by… blah blah blah… (!) It should also be noted that each set of defining rules has sub-clauses which clarify their precise meaning unambiguously!
    ;)

2. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Silver, difference with Spa was that Hamilton gave the place back, or be it brielfy before then going on to do a seperate overtake into the next corner.

It was from this incident that the rule about giving the place back with at least one corner passing before another overtake is attempted happened.

The rules have been fairly consistent with this when you look at the penalties that have been dished out since when drivers have overtaken off the track, Bahrain being an odd exception, but Rosberg was being very aggresive at high speed.

3. Delete Me

Delete Me Well-Known Member

Oh yes I agree there's a slight difference between the situations, but what I'm pointing out is that the end result was the same. They both gained an unfair advantage and they both got a 25 second penalty for their silly mistake in the heat of the moment. And the media went **** crazy in each country where the drivers was born claiming the FIA was out to get their man, while another side (mostly from another country) said it was a justified penalty.

The Italians said Lewis got what he deserved and the British said Seb got what he deserved for breaking the rules.

The British defended Lewis claiming a conspiracy, the Germans have now done the same with Seb.

4. allsaintchris.

Yep. That's the media for you!

The Spanish media were the same at the height of the Hamilton/Alonso saga in 2007, and as for the Italian press, less said the better :)

5. Delete Me

In a way I can now see how much **** you guys had to endure for years and why you defended him for those situations.

Hopefully you can also see from our side why we thought it was a justified punishment and nothing about being targetted by the FIA, well I hope it wasn't anyway because I wouldn't watch F1 anymore if they did try that stunt.

6. allsaintchris.

The issue with a lot of this is that the rules seem to be made up by the FIA as they go along, clarified, forgotten about, amended, forgetten about and then hysteria commences when it happens again!

Back in the day, when there was grass and gravel and armco by the side of the track, cutting corners to gain an advantage wouldn't happen as it was never a quicker route to go outside the circuit limits. THose who have suggested a strip of grass, or just a surface less grippy than the race track, on the outside of the track are spot on as no advantage could be gained by the loss of grip and accelaration this would cause.

There has to be a disadvantage to running wide to prevent drivers from even thinking about it.

7. Paco Montoya

Paco Montoya Active Member

Now while I disagree with AG, what you have done here is straw man, which makes AG look rather foolish

8. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

Well treating your points with the facetiousness with which mine was received, what would you propose as a suitable punishment for drivers leaving the circuit? given that the 20 second time penalty Vettel received would've been worth taking every single lap had he performed donuts on the start/finish line and saved himself approximately 80 seconds per lap. And that he wouldn't have left track anyway (although he'd be disqualified for driving the circuit in reverse, meaning the argument is pointless anyway, but since you raised it...). These things have to be treated subjectively, I thought the difference between driving a longer distance than required and cutting out parts of the course would be obvious. Obviously not.

Personally I prefer to see the drivers challenged more by difficult track surfaces, I like seeing them try to control the car as they bounce over the kerbs, grass and astro turf at the limit of grip, I like seeing seeing bumps in braking zones and wheel to wheel duels such as this:

[video=youtube;d-rLZKZLuJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-rLZKZLuJM[/video]

Clearly I'm alone in this.

9. Delete Me

I was wrong to disagree with you AG , the video gives clear driver to driver action without any problems as long as the drivers respect the limit!

10. cosicave

AG:
    I know what you were getting at but remember that F1 circuits have curves/bends/corners in both directions*. This means that going 'outside' of its boundaries can reduce lap times (which is the obvious objective in doing so), even when taking a 'longer route' around a given segment of it.
    The explanation:
    • a/ It can help maintain more momentum for longer, giving increased speeds which may well be more than enough to offset any extra distance travelled.
    • b/ Where rights and lefts are close together, it may actually reduce the total distance travelled.
    • c/ Minimising the radius of all curves added together is one of the principles of an idealised 'racing line'. This principle can be extended to give further benefit in lap time if some of its boundaries can also be 'extended' and is both applicable to the 'inside' and 'outside' of a curve.
    ;)

*Going beyond the boundaries of a closed curve such as a circle, ellipse or 'oval', is far less likely to give a benefit in lap time, and can only do so if there is a net increase in available traction, as may occur with super-elevated surfaces such as 'banked curves' – even if this increases the distance relative to the 'shortest' route around the track.

11. allsaintchris.

btcc?

12. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

alms?

13. cosicave

Rallying?

14. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

Not wheel to wheel though is it. I suppose Rallycross is worth a mention.

15. cosicave

Aah yes, quite right sir.
    I was trying to speak with a forked and silvered tongue, as he knows I am not cross rally…
    ;)

16. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Well-Known Member

Race edit is up <ok>
    Song - Runnin' Wild by Airbourne

17. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

Finally they put a good song on a race edit.

18. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

What a retarded thing to say.
    please log in to view this image