1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread The Official 2017 Canadian GP thread

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by El_Bando, Jun 5, 2017.

?

Who Can in Canada

Poll closed Jun 11, 2017.
  1. Vettel

50.0%
  2. Hamilton

31.3%
  3. Bottas

6.3%
  4. Raikkonen

12.5%
  5. Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Verstappen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sainz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Massa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

If motor racing had a world ranking system, I don't think Ericsson would be any higher than Palmer – and probably a little below. (Palmer, being the better professional in my opinion, is less error prone with a correspondingly higher degree of awareness). It's just that in the UK, Palmer is more under the spotlight than Ericsson. However, it really is a moot point: in my opinion, neither are good enough in terms of outright pace.

As for Stroll, if I were a Team Principal, I'd give him a bit longer to prove himself – at least the remainder of this season – but I doubt he'll ever set the world alight.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  2. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

My bold, above.

I trust you'll be paying attention to Le Mans 24hr this weekend, Big Ern?

Kobayashi broke the lap record with a 3:14.791 during second qualifying, claiming provisional pole for the race [Toyota TS050 HYBRID, number 7]. Mike Conway and Stephane Sarrazin are his team mates. Over a 24 hour period, that's a pretty handy line-up.

- - -o0o- - -
    P.S. I hope you'll also pay attention to more than just LMP1. Lots of interesting things going on elsewhere – and I don't mean the fun fair! … ;)

3. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Some pay drivers do turn out to be okay, so best to judge them after two complete seasons to see if they master it. Palmer was a slow learner in GP2 but came good, but can't see Renault wanting to wait 4 years to find out!

Ericcson has had his time and has not shone out as anything special, but Sauber cannot hire on talent alone. If they get Honda works deal next year it may change things, but then who the hell wants to drive a Honda powered car at the moment? It's not doing much for Vandornne's reputation as its impossible to tell how good he is because he is being hampered by the engine, reliability penalties etc.

4. allsaintchris.

Watching yesterday evening's quali on Eurosport. So many top quality drivers in the field and really enjoying Tom Kristensen's pit lane reporting. Didn't realise Barrichello was in the field this year.

5. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Oh I agree with that upto a certain point, I don't know how much Ericsson pays, but I think they would gett more money with Kamui through sponsorship in the long run, he was very popular and would've had more screen time, was close to crowd funding a drive.

It's what we need, Stroll can stay for now but we need:
    Kobay in for Ericsson
    Kubica in for Palmer

That would make the fans happy Mr Liberty-Media man

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  6. allsaintchris.

Kobay for Ericsson could easily happen if Sauber keep Honda, though Koby is historically a Toyota man.

The romance of bringing Kubica back is nice to think, but I don't think it will realistically happen. That said, unless Palmer sorts himself out then he is definitely a gonner one way or the other.

7. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I think if Stroll fails to perform in the next 3 to 4 races , after Canada's result , he is not up to it . I was amazed that Alonso was catching him up , given the respective engines in their cars .

8. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

yeah, Kobay is with the wrong manufacturer, but Kubica return would only be 'romantic' if he was off the pace, I think he'll probably get an FP session at some point, preferably Palmers so there's less chance of him wasting his 1 lap in practice.
    probably not, Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Ricciardo & Verstappen you could see from the start they had it, (to a lesser extent Sainz too, his wasn't as obvious because of his team-mate, but he wasn't embarrassed by him),.