1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The official 2017-18 Ashes Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Nov 15, 2017.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Come on England! Warm up games going ok to date, off to Brisbane for the first test next week.

Not overly optimistic for England’s chances, but surely it can’t be another whitewash? The bowlers will do their job as always (recently) but we really need some consistent runs from the top five.

If we keep Bay 13 quiet, or even better send them to the bar for a couple of sessions, on Boxing Day I’ll be happy.

TootingExcess and Didley Squat like this.
  2. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I too fear the worse, but nevertheless..................................come on England!!

Didley Squat likes this.
  3. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Decent side, could have done with Stokes though.

Didley Squat likes this.
  4. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I think we'll do well, but then I always do. Stokes leaves a big hole in the middle order, but I'll go 3-2 England.

Didley Squat likes this.
  5. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I think we'll lose 3-1.

Didley Squat likes this.
  6. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Are you saying that you're going out there for the first test?

Didley Squat likes this.
  7. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Just c'mon on England hoping rather than confident

Didley Squat likes this.
  8. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Sadly not, poorly worded. Though Brisbane is the only venue I haven’t seen an Ashes test in Australia.

I’m saving all my cash for a visit to Utrecht. For some reason that escapes me.

Didley Squat and QPR999 like this.
  9. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

It’s shame BT have the coverage, poor channel & got rid of it, highlights only for me, it will be a close contest going for 2-2

Didley Squat likes this.
  10. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I've lost interest already. I've just had a look at a BT subscription for twelve months and if you don't have their broadband and want to view via Sky it's £25.99 a month plus a £20 activation fee. They can jolly well **** off.

Does anyone know if you can watch the ashes via one of those Kodi boxes?

11. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

With an Aussie team yet to reach pubity, l think it will be tight and games going either way ( although our way would be warmly welcomed).

12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Steelmonkey man is the expert on this. I gave up on my Kodi ages ago. But if you can get it working and remember which of the thousands of streams are reliable I am sure that the Ashes will be on there.

Apart from Vince the top five deliver in the warm up v Cricket Australia XI, 337-3, with 111 for Stoneman. Not sure of the quality of the opposition, but this following bowling them out for 250 can’t be bad for confidence.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    QPR999 and Hoops Eternal like this.
  13. Didley Squat

Is it just me or do today’s bowlers break down too easily nowadays.

Years ago, the opening bowlers could put in some long bowling stints.

I guess it is a bit like footballers of yesteryear compared with today’s player.
    The oldies may not have been as fit but they could surely take a knock and go the distance.

Today’s lot get blown over at a moments notice. I think such may swing a match or two.

14. goldcoast hoop

goldcoast hoop Well-Known Member

Think the Aussie bowlers have it all over us

15. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

This works on any Android device I've used, gives you access to full range of Sky/BT and other sports channels, including Aussie ones. No idea about on PC or iOS though.

Mobdro App Download for Android, iOS & PC (Mobdro.APK 2017) https://mobdroapk.org/

Only issue I seem to have come across is on a Saturday afternoon my ISP (Virgin) seem to block it, but can use it on phone if needed. Works quicker and better than SportsDevil on Kodi, although you don't get the rnnge of matches.

QPR999 likes this.
  16. Didley Squat

GC Hoops ................. shouldn't it be, "our Aussie bowlers have it over you lot?"

17. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Cheers mate, that sounds complicated to me. I think I'll just pass on all of it, especially as the ashes starts about midnight UK time. I'd probably only watch about an hour of it anyway.

18. Didley Squat

Nines, if your batting first, you may see your entire top order pad up!:grin:

QPR999 likes this.
  19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Injuries do seem to be much more prevalent nowadays, perhaps something about people being trained to near peak fitness (hard to imagine with cricketers in my day) are more prone to both stress and impact injuries. Rugby is the worst, because at the top level what these blokes have done to their bodies in order to play is nuts. But if you look at what a bowler, especially fast bowlers, do I’m surprised more don’t break down during games, it’s such an unnatural action to repeat multiple times, massive pressure on ankles, knees, hips, back, neck, shoulder, elbow.....

20. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Fortunate enough (if that's the word) to have BT Sport as part of my broadband package with Eir the Irish phone company that used to be called Telecom Eirann, and allegedly I get it for free as part of my phone/broadband package as BT Sport took over Setanta Sport which had changed it's name to Eir Sport, do keep up at the back!!!!!. Off course it's not really free because when it was introduced the line rental went up by €7 per month.

Anyway I'll be able to watch it or at least the highlights at a reasonable time and not have to find a dodgy stream.........

Think it'll be close, depends on how we cope with the Gabbitor. Does the old saying "win the toss and bat first" still apply there? Don't do a Nasser Hussain and bowl chose to bowl first........