1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The not606 British Lions tour thread

Discussion in 'International Rugby Union' started by swimaway, Jun 1, 2013.

?

Will the 2013 Lions ....

Poll closed Jun 22, 2013.
  1. win the series

85.7%
  2. lose the series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. draw the series

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. swimaway

swimaway Well-Known Member

Saturday 1/6/13

1st game, against the Baa Baa's in HK.

59-8 win

Well, what can be read into that?

In difficult conditions a marker was certainly set down that they will play Gatland rugby.....and why not? Its what got him the job in the first place.

Always difficult to gauge a 1st game against what is an invitation side, but you can only beat the team in front of you. That team had some very, very good and experienced players and the boys put them to the sword.

As an h'orderve it was just what the doctor ordered in a summer short of sport with the mouth watering Oz games to come for all those that love egg chasing.

Some great stand out performances? I may be biased (just a bit!), but the Welsh boys were great. Great to see Lydiate back especially. Phillips, well was Phillips. Roberts, well was Roberts. The list could go on, but of course they have the major benefit of knowing the style already. From outside Wales, O'Connell looks nailed on, Sexton looked better than Farrell, who's temperament will no doubt be targeted in the upcoming weeks. Hogg showed nice composure and Murray fitted in seamlessly after Mikey left....and we still haven't seen the likes of BOD, Tuilagi, Croft, Best, 1/2 p, Bowe, Sam, Kearney et al. This makes the coming weeks enthralling, especially as guys from the other 3 Nations no doubt step up and learn their roles but stamp their name/styles.

Early days, but exciting ones ahead. I for one cannot wait!

Can this side win a series? I say, why not?

AUSTRALIA...HERE COMETH A PRIDE OF VERY DANGEROUS LIONS!!!

So, what do you think? Who looks good to start? Are you happy with the style of play? Can they do it?

Your floor ....

2. swimaway

Well, this is going well!

3. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

nice review swimaway-looking forward to seeing how sean o brien gets on when he gets the nod,my favourite player,a human recking ball!lions look a series outfit this year and australia have a few injuries of their own so i'm confident of a 3-0 win to the lions!!

4. Dilligaf

Dilligaf New Member

Didn't know you were into the egg chasing Swim ?

5. swimaway

I was going to say I like all ball chasing ...doh!

Football, rugby, tiddlywinks.....I appreciate all sport dude.

6. Storky_Knight

Storky_Knight Member

Shouldn't be a contest really, but The Lions have a habit of making things difficult for themselves. Referees will be too important as usual.

I like the mid-week matches, used to be good for punch ups!

Bring back the biff!

7. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Where do all the rugby lads post these days? ussed to be loads of them on the old 606.

Anyway, it was a decent enough start all be it that the oppostion was very poor. It was good to see them throwing the ball around from the start of the tour and in the enxt few weeks we'll start to see partnerships and units developing. It will be interesting to see what a centre pairing of O driscoll and Tuilagi can manage against Western Force tomorrow - I still donlt see BoD as being in the starting 15 for the tests but he would be a hell of a player to being on near the end. You could actually say the same of Tuilagi.

We're still no nearer to finding out who will be in the back row - that will be a nightmare of a selection but then i suppose we always knew that.

Does anyone think they're trying a bit hard to show solidarity and break down national barriers? Apart from the Welsh (because there's so many of them) every picture you see has guys from different countries together! I really don't see it as being a problem on this tour as they all seem to be hell bent on winning rather than bithering about anything else. Australia's probably the best tour in terms of environment too as they'll always be in big cities where boredom, which probably led to the problems on previous tours, is unlikely to be an issue.

8. swimaway

The media attention in Oz is a beast. The united front is critical. Any cracks will be made into the Grand Canyon hy the Oz gutter press.

The last thing WG wants is an England type backlash as seen in the last World Cup. Expect more choreographed press coverage!

Re olde 606, I think everyone went to their own clubs forums instead. Shame, as there was good banter. Who knows, perhaps many are here but just 'waiting'.

Have some rep for posting :)

9. swimaway

Unfortunately the days of the citing officer have arrived :(

Would be amazing to see the old "99" call in the first test again though...can't imagine the citing officer banning the whole Lions team and hence ending the tour and the gravy train!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SFCnzf1-5U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Have some biff rep!

10. swimaway

My guaranteed to fail prediction for tomorrow

52 - 12 to the Lions

11. swimaway

Was gonna post but seems I would be talking to myself. Shocker.

12. Bostonbob

Bostonbob Well-Known Member

I'll talk to you Swimaway.

How far has Chris Ashton fallen in 2 years? Was vying for best winger in Europe. Now he's not even first reserve.

13. Deleted 1

Forum Moderator

You have to wonder how much of it is down to his attitude,. He's still a decent enough player but in a situation where team ethic is absolutely fundamental people just don't seem to want to touch him.

14. Blitz

Blitz Member

Any thoughts on a test line up yet ? Of have thought Tommy Bowe would have been close but now it looks like he's out.

15. Bostonbob

Attitude and he's stopped scoring tries at test level. He was brilliant a few years ago. That swan dive hasn't helped him. Maybe it's all gone to his head. Maybe is was too much pressure on a young lads shoulders.

16. Bostonbob

I'd have George North in. Farrell would start in my team because of his penalty kicking. Probably Roberts over Manu although that's very tight.

You?

17. Deleted 1

Forum Moderator

Agree with all of them and would have Youngs as scrum half. Full back's tricky - would probably plump for Halfpenny

18. Bostonbob

Yep. I like Halfpenny. Massive boot to supplement the rest of his game.

19. swimaway

The thread lives!!

Sorry but you all wrong ;) The team will be (injuries permitting)..

Fullback 1/2p
    Wings North and Cuthbert (if Bowe doesn't recover)
    Centre BOD and Roberts
    Outside half Sexton
    Scrum half Phillips

Mako, Hibbard, Jones
    O'Connell, Jones
    Warburton, Heaslip, Lydiate

The only positions up for grabs now are second row after POC and the back row. I just can't see Garland going against Sam (his captain) and Dan though, but you can put a good argument for all that have played there.

He stuck with Warburton throughout the 6 nations even though he was poor. Lydiaste is a 6 in the Hill mold and would be invaluable.

20. Dilligaf

Dilligaf New Member

Your back line may well be the test one Swim. O'Driscoll is class and Halfpenny is booting them over for fun. Phillips is like an extra forward on times and I reckon those three could be the 1st names on the team sheet, injury permitting of course