1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The non-Watford football thread

Discussion in 'Watford' started by North North Watford, May 1, 2012.

1. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

This is the same as in many things Fez - my rights stop when they infringe upon yours. As long as I smoke with consideration for others then it is nobodies business but my own. There are some pubs in Berlin where smoking is still allowed, but there is a sign at the door, and so if you go in there then you have no right to complain afterwards. In most cases you can avoid designated smoking areas whereas I cannot avoid car fumes.

2. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

That's absolutely right. The quicker smoking dies out as a habit, the better. Quite what we do about the loss in tax revenue is another matter: "it's patriotic to smoke, innit" as Alf Garnett said (wonderfully written character by Johnny Speight as we all know) but the habit has killed far too many of my family and friends for me to have much sympathy for those who choose to continue, let alone those who (directly or indirectly) encourage others to start.

3. He also had some very odd superstitions Dave - for example he refused to walk on the pitch which wasn't great for matches that went to extra time and penalties!

canary-dave likes this.
  4. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Not all smokers are as considerate as you Cologne but I do think it is wrong of you to light up in a non smoking area because of the residual smell and atmosphere you leave behind.
    I see your point re drivers but as we all use transport of some kind I guess we accept it is the price we pay. There are many kinds of polution that we would be better off without.

5. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

VAR seems to be working in France's favour - they got a penalty in their last game and one tonight with the defender being sent off and they were allowed to re-take it as the Nigerian goalie was adjudged to have come off her line too early!

6. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I couldn't see how from the camera angles we were shown how you could be certain it was a penalty. A foot went out, but you needed a picture from behind the goal to say if there was contact.

7. Markthehorn

And was the goalie hard done about being punished for coming off the line? - I know sometimes they can be OTT but it did seem a little unlucky and the penalty went wide...

I suspect they have to be seen really enforcing the rule to get good marks from the accessors!

8. colognehornet

Judging from some of the matches in the last World Cup, most goalkeepers come off the line before the kick is taken. There is a chance that VAR will destroy the spontaneity of football.

9. HHTFC1

HHTFC1 Well-Known Member

I am definitely starting to worry about this...time will tell, but let's hope that after a bedding in period (where I expect there will be more debate than ever over VAR decisions) the VAR decisions wont be as impacting in the results of games. There will definitely be tactics employed by teams to 'exploit' VAR i.e. aiming to hit players hands in the box if there is no chance of creating a scoring opportunity

Markthehorn likes this.
  10. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Michel Platini has been arrested for his part in Qatar being awarded the 2022 World Cup. Since the vote in favour of Qatar 16 of the 24 FIFA officials have been struck off, suspended or remain under investigation, dodgy bunch.

11. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Yes... and it will ensure goalies stay on their line which is the law....

Scullion likes this.
  12. HHTFC1

HHTFC1 Well-Known Member

didn't pick up on encroachment though on the retake - which is the law...French 6 is in the box as the kick is taken.
    Fine pick up on infringements, but consistency is still a problem IMHO, the picture below shows an infringement of encroachment!!!
    upload_2019-6-18_11-31-44.png

13. Hornet-Fez

Should have been retaken again as attacking player encroached.

14. Hornet-Fez

Either way there have been several incidents where VAR have got it wrong. Doesn't bode well...

15. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

yes spot on.....

16. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I was shocked by the USA penalty decision, it was clearly outside the box.

Thankfully Lloyd was sporting and missed the penalty <ok>

17. colognehornet

The bureaucrats at Eufa need to be strung up. Apparently Ajax Amsterdam, having won the double in the Netherlands and having reached the semi final of the Champions League last season have to play 2 CL. qualification rounds in order to get through to the group stage - while Lokomotiv Moscow (2nd in the Russian league) qualify automatically for the group stage. How can they call it the Champions League when champions don't get in automatically whereas even 4th place in France, Spain, Italy and England do ?

18. Markthehorn

19. colognehornet

It's hard on the winners of many of the so called smaller leagues Mark. Whether we're talking about Celtic, Ajax Amsterdam, Genk (this was something of a surprise - normally Bruges or Anderlecht) - not sure about Benfica. I know how the seeding is based and I think it has a very negative effect on domestic football more or less everywhere. Even in the big leagues it makes the competition between 4th and 5th place in many cases more important than the championship itself. Unfortunately the Eredivisie (Netherlands) is a place where good Dutch players start and finish their careers, but spend their peak years somewhere else - the same applies to Belgium. I know that Cruyff and Neeskens did the same in the past but they did not move away at 19.

Markthehorn likes this.
  20. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rafael Benitez is leaving Newcastle. The reaction from there is hostile to Ashley, but that has been an going on for a long time.