1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The non-Watford football thread

Discussion in 'Watford' started by North North Watford, May 1, 2012.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Really very sad news for the club, but more so for his family. I wish them peace. <peacedove>

Markthehorn and canary-dave like this.
  2. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I didn't watch it, but according to the reports here France were dreadful in their Euro qualifier away to Turkey. They lost and it was deserved according to all sources.

3. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Probably say they were knackered after the World cup and a long season?

Notice the French ladies started well in front of a full house in the Women's World cup.

4. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Yes.. Very sad news.. And so young... [emoji173]️

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Some good news likely tomorrow for the fans up at Bolton. The administrators have a buyer, and it is not Bassini if rumours are correct. The previous owner passed the FL fit and proper person test, but really wasn't either of the two. This could well be a consortium of UK businessmen and women. Whoever takes the club over will have to rebuild it as they only have six players including two keepers, plus the juniors.

Markthehorn likes this.
  6. Markthehorn

VAR really is playing a key role in the WWC and sometimes not in a good way ..

Every handball seems to be given !

7. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Just seen Australia's winning goal... if that's the standard of VAR decisions we can expect...

Shocker!

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

It looks as if Maurizio Sarri is definitely on his way out of Chelsea. For someone who had a good record in his one season there, he somehow never seemed to get on with players or fans. I guess that his right hand man GFZ will be on the move again.

9. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I think his main problem was that he is a chain smoker and was not allowed to smoke during matches.

Not sure if same rules apply in Italy!

10. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

The rules are not applied so stringently in some other European countries Dave. There are quite a few Italian managers who like to light up during matches. Jürgen Klopp has been known to smoke at the training ground and Joachim Löw sometimes smokes during matches. Actually the laws in England are a bit too rigid on this, and I think there should be a smoking area at the Vic. somewhere. I see the difference when travelling by train from Germany - in Germany they have designated smoking areas on railway platforms, in Belgium they are still puffing away everywhere, and in the UK. it is banned from all platforms. In Germany it can be different depending on which state you are in - if you are in North Rhine Westphalia there is a complete ban in all enclosed areas, the same in Hamburg, but you can still find many 'smoking' pubs in Berlin.

canary-dave likes this.

11. yorkshirehornet

Lampard in the frame.. Not our man.. Thankfully

12. Hornet-Fez

Rubbish ref. You spend two minutes telling the players, particularly the Argies, then don't enforce the law when they and they alone encroach and the penalty saved. What a load of b*ll*x. Useless. Penalty was pretty poor too.

13. yorkshirehornet

? [emoji848]

Meanwhile England stride through to the last 16 could have had three or four

[emoji57]

14. Hornet-Fez

I turned over for Foyle's War at that point. I'm okay with referees making incorrect judgment calls but not applying basic law correctly at anything above intermediate level football sticks in my craw.

15. Markthehorn

England beat Scotland and Argentina- all they neeed to do is beat Germany and that would be all our old adversities in World football beaten !

16. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I feel a bit sorry for Scotland, Japan scored their first goal following a free kick awarded for an incorrect offside decision!

17. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Personally I hate smoking and I would restrict smoking everywhere except inside a persons private residence. Disgusting habit.

When I come to power of course.

18. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Everyone to his tastes Scully. I would never come across the idea of smoking in the close presence of a non smoker, or someone who was bothered by it - and that is with or without regulations over it. I refrain from smoking when in the company of non smokers - even in an area where it is allowed, in contrast I have no hesitation in lighting up in a non smoking area if I am alone. I know that not all smokers are so considerate - however, I have never known a car driver to ever ask me if I had anything against breathing in his fumes.

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I can see that there have been some cases where VAR has helped to get a correct decision, but it seems that what it has not done is provide consistency. Yesterday I watched as a player put an arm out, the ball hit the arm, but no penalty was awarded. The day before an almost identical situation, and a penalty was given. We heap scorn on a ref who might not get it right, sometimes because he hasn't seen something, but with access to slow motion and different angles the ones sat in a studio don't have the same problems, but still they seem to get it wrong.

20. Hornet-Fez

My big problem with smoking (apart from the obvious) is the smell as third party smoke goes stale on my clothes. I've returned from places (in the crowd post-match when the smokers can light up/vape, there's no escape) and had to throw my clothes straight into the washing machine and jump in the shower... having to do that due to someone else s drug habit - let's call it for what it is - irks me somewhat.

Scullion likes this.