1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Nitty Gritty of the BLM movement

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Sinner

Sinner Well-Known Member

Responding to Smug :)

2. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

just wondering as half my relations are african but east coast

3. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

From the OP in June, point still stands.

"I'm a little less comfortable with the PL players like Ndidi who are wearing BLM slogans on their shirts, bending their knee and clenching their fists.It looks radical and brave but it isn't It's a sham and a little embarrassing especially from certain foreign black players.Where are these courageous 'soldiers' when police from their own countries murder their countrymen?"

4. Sinner

Sinner Well-Known Member

My point still stands. Look at the anti Sars and other protests supported by African footballers. Surely anyone can support BLM regardless if what is happening elsewhere. Courageous soldiers? They're just bending the knee with their teammates. Anyway I showed you an example and could probably find many more.
    I wish players from our country had more if a social conscience. Rashford is a breath of fresh air but African players been getting involved in politics for years

5. Smug in Boots

It was sarcasm.

You've showed me one example, of someone on twitter, no idea who it is tbh.

My point was about players in this country, I don't believe you could find 'many' examples.

In my opinion it's hypocritical that they're involved in a prolonged protest yet say nothing about something much worse in their own country.

I don't know if you think it's hypocritical tbh.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  6. Sinner

Sinner Well-Known Member

Misplaced imho.

Anyway, enjoyed many of your debates in the past but know you stand your ground regardless, and will get pedantic if necessary. You have got the wrong end of the stick on this thread but I'm not going to try and change your mind any further, as doubt I'd get anywhere.
    At least you haven't come out with All Lives Matter! If ever there was a racist fur ball spewed out by the ignorant and intellectually lazy, then that is it. Haven't read all the thread mind.

7. Smug in Boots

I haven't, as the many people who've agreed with the OP would suggest.

It's true that Nigerian players, in the UK, are taking part in the BLM protests.

It's true that they're not protesting about something worse in their own countries.

I find that hypocritical.

That's my point, nothing to do with the wrong end of the stick.

8. Sinner

Sinner Well-Known Member

It's not hypocritical for a Nigerian player to bend the knee in a collective show of support for BLM along with all other top fight players, regardless of what is going on in their country.
    You seem to suggest you can't support a movement against injustice unless you support all movements.

9. Smug in Boots

No, that's what you're suggesting I'm suggesting, I'm not.

What's happening in their own country is much worse, and more personal, yet they choose to ignore it.

That's poor imo but obviously not yours.

10. Sinner

Sinner Well-Known Member

Ha ha. I'm smiling but not getting dragged in, although obviously am.

Ok, that's nonsense. How do you know they, whoever they are, choose to ignore anything?

Don't we all ignore stuff?

Why would it be more personal? We don't just have to focus on our own street, town, county, country, continent and so on.

Ridiculous to suggest a player from Nigeria should not take the knee just because worse things are happening in their own country. Ridiculous.

You suggesting if they are asked to show support they should refuse, because worse stuff is happening.

You have to walk a mile in someone else's moccasins, and all that. You have no idea what life those players have led or what their views are. Absolutely no idea, yet judge then for joining in with a civilised show of support for equality.

11. Smug in Boots

It would indeed be ridiculous if I'd ever said it.

I've learned that whenever people start with the insults and ludicrous misquotes it's time to realise there's no possibility of a reasonable debate.

I'll leave it there, take that however you choose.

12. Sinner

Sinner Well-Known Member

Not insulting you mate. Didn't intend to, anyway. We have very different ideas of what constitutes hypocrisy, that is all.

You did suggest poor form 'their' part for ignoring stuff in their own country, and that is hypocritical, or that is what I think I read. Might have misunderstood.

Nothing personal.

13. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

BLM pick and choose what to be offended by.

It seems like statues in Bristol are more problematic and more of a concern to the BLM movement than racist comments spewed by Anthony Joshua and the police killing it's own citizens in Nigeria. The movement should be about equality but it's not, it's about black power.

Why else are BLM complaining about white history, white police officers, but not speaking up about black racists and black police targeting black citizens? That's not equality, it's hidden racism.

14. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

You can only be rascist if your white from memory :emoticon-0112-wonde

Saf likes this.
  15. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Hidden racism, Saffy ?

It's not very well hidden :emoticon-0145-shake

Saf and Ozzymac like this.
  16. D%d

D%d New Member

I wish I could see life in black and white ...... on reflection nah.

17. Smug in Boots

I'm offended at being expected to feel responsible for, or ashamed by, the slave trade.

This was perpetrated by a tiny percentage of the wealthy and opposed by many of their peers. My own ancestors were much more likely to have been press ganged onto the slave ships or working for a pittance in a mine or on the land.

So I don't feel in any way responsible for slavery and certainly won't be apologising for it.

If anyone feels offended by that, I really don't care.

Footnote: This is from Colston's page on Wiki which clearly shows that many of our ancestors suffered because of slavery.

"Enslaved Africans were much less expensive to maintain than indentured servants or paid wage labourers from Britain."

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  18. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

well i just deleted a wee rant here...decided it is just not possible to get 'common sense' into some people.

my thoughts?

stop the feckin fighting, shake hands, black/white/brown/yellow/green/whatever feckin colour we are all basically the same and until we stand together this ****e will continue and i am sick to feckin death of arguing the toss just because i do not fit the profile of such groups as BLM, i do not hate anyone because they are a different colour/race/sexuality/religion than me...only those who hurt others should be subject to our hate, a united hatred based on something that is real, (not percieved ideals that fit one little group agenda and anyone not agreeing with them are racist, bigotted, neanderthals).

percentages can be argued about for years and if you look hard enough you can find facts to back up 'your case'...no one should die being arrested but then no person doing his/her job in the emergency services should be doing so in fear of their lives, where there is right there will be wrong.

19. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

We’ll have none of that rational thought here me laddo. This is a forum for polarised black and white only. We don’t care for your sort on here.

samwise_new and cumbrianmackem like this.
  20. Smug in Boots

Couldn't agree more mate.

I'm nice to people regardless of who and what they are unless they deserve to be treat differently.

It just makes life so much easier.

samwise_new and Montysoptician like this.