1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The New Stoke City Manager

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by Smithers, May 21, 2013.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Fulham fan in peace. I disagree with my friend Surlyc about Hughes' time with us. Hughes is universally and rightly reviled on our board, but I think that has more to do with the manner and timing of his leaving rather than his year in charge. My recollection of his season with us is that injuries affected the first half of the season, and that all along there were promising signs in the way we were playing, even if results weren't showing that before Christmas. In the second half, we played much better and it's a little unfair to say that was all down to the players rather than the management. As Smithers has pointed out, Hughes' record at Blackburn was very good.

For what it's worth, I don't think Hughes would be just a continuation of Pulis' style of football. At Blackburn he initially played a hard, physical, direct game to keep the club up, but gradually over his time got them playing better and better football and had them further and further up the league table. It could be that he's the ideal manager to lead the transition from Pulis' style to something easier on the eye. It took Martinez a while to get Wigan playing the way he wanted, and I would imagine that the transition would be bumpier with a manager like him.

If he's appointed for you, I think everything is going to depend on whether he insists on the board matching his 'ambition' with silly money. When he's not been given blank cheques to spend, he's been very good in the transfer market and turned up a succession of unheralded gems; when he's given lots of cash, he signs the likes of Shaun Wright-Phillips and Jose Bosingwa. My guess is that your chairman is too canny to give Hughes everything, meaning Hughes will have to either revert to his Blackburn ways or he'll get frustrated and leave when he thinks he's rehabilitated his reputation enough to get another crack at a 'big club' (don't hold your breath, Mark).

Whether it's Hughes or someone else, good luck for next season. I hope the next manager gets you playing football that all of you are happy to watch.

2. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thanks for that Captain - I said on another thread that I think his manner and attitude have alot to do with why people dont like him. I agree that when he has had moeny to waste he hasnt been great, but at B'Burn he had some very decent sigings (Santa Cruz) and he used Bentley and the like very well. Having said that he wouldnt be my preference but your logic makes sence in why he might be considered over others.

3. Pottermouth 328

Pottermouth 328 Well-Known Member

4. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Fulham fan in peace. I agree with the Captain and would add that it shouldn't be forgotten that he signed Dembele for us for a modest sum and he has turned out to be one hell of a player. I am sure with a controlled financial approach he could get you playing in a more attractive style with some upgraded players.

I also agree that part of the problem is his personality. During his time at Fulham whenever he spoke on TV he always sounded as though he was bored with the whole thing, but I that's just the way he comes across, I'm sure. I wouldn't trust him to stay if he did okay with you for a season and then a "bigger team" suddenly had a vacancy. What he did to us was fairly despicable and I'm sure he would have no hesitation in doing it again if he thought he had a better opportunity.

Just don't let him loose with the Chairman's chequebook or you may find Bosingwa turning up at your door.

5. Pottermouth 328

Thanks for the advice info on Mark Hughes..
    IF it happens we'll get on with it we've no choice it's the Chairman's decision. If Hughes tells it how it is and not how he thinks it should be aka Pulis. I'll be OK with that.
    I was just sick of the negative attitude shown by T.P. We need a new start we all knew that as fans. We'll see what happens...

6. Smithers

Forum Moderator

@SkySports: Reports in Italy say Rafa Benitez has agreed a two-year deal to become Napoli coach. Have your say at #skysportstoday http://t.co/vfe1RddTJk

Thats that one scotched then

7. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Do I detect a softening of opinion toward Hughes ??

8. Moelfre

Moelfre Member

I think you are right Nick. If he is Mr Coates choice I can live with it I suppose.

9. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Everybody should have chance even if they are not the prefered choice.

10. Pottermouth 328

Amen to those comments

11. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Trouble is; he has no taste in music.

12. stoke-th97

stoke-th97 Well-Known Member

What about Andrea Stramaccioni?
    He surely is better than Hughes, still wouldn't mind Di Matteo though

13. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Who he?

14. ricc full

ricc full Well-Known Member

lets not all kid ourselves here just because we all wanted Pulis out and so we feel that we have to be over the moon with whoever we get, it would be terrible if Hughes was to come to Stoke IMO. There are so many better managers out there who will surely join with the big budget that they will surely get.

15. Dens Hoops

Dens Hoops Well-Known Member

QPR fan in peace
    If I were a Stoke fan I would be happy with
    Di Matteo
    Martinez
    Poyet
    Anyone but Hughes
    Good luck going forward

16. ricc full

ricc full Well-Known Member

17. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

That's another thing about Hughes: his post-match comments were always very one-eyed and partial. I don't think he's someone who tells it like it is at all. Sorry.

18. Jager

Jager Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for you guys !

19. canarie-chippy

canarie-chippy Well-Known Member

Good luck with that one ! He must be one hell of a sales man if he can talk his way into a prem club after his last performance.
    Not that you'll be prem for long with him in charge !

20. stoke-th97

stoke-th97 Well-Known Member

Where is Poyet?
    He said he wanted to work with us?