1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The New Stoke City Manager

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by Smithers, May 21, 2013.

1. ProudPotter

ProudPotter Well-Known Member

Perhaps talks are taking part in Talke Tesco car park at this very moment.

2. stoke-th97

stoke-th97 Well-Known Member

A trending headline on that site was: " Wayne Rooney's newborn son Klay has been linked with a move to Stoke City FC."

3. jowlermonkey

jowlermonkey Well-Known Member

Thanks Smithers, that's funny.

4. Pottermouth 328

Pottermouth 328 Well-Known Member

Smither's
    I amost **** myself you fool you had me worried. <laugh>

5. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well we have to keep our sense of humour

6. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

MON is available <whistle>

7. Pottermouth 328

Let's hope it stays that way. <yikes> You should be fined for that comment.. <laugh>

8. Sandor Clegane

Sandor Clegane 'The Hound'
    Forum Moderator

Odds as of 23:00;
    please log in to view this image

I'm hoping for Di Matteo. For some reason the idea of getting Rafa just doesn't sit right, and no way do we want Hughes! I'd rather have Pulis back.

9. Waddos_legends

Waddos_legends Active Member

I agree. Everyone is saying Mark Hughes now and that would be a monumental error. I hope Coates knows what he is doing!

10. Waddos_legends

11. Smithers

Forum Moderator

@StokeLoudProud: Mark Hughes now new favourite with the bookies to become new Stoke manger !!! Time to goooooo time to gooooo

12. Pottermouth 328

OH **** Another Welsh money waster.... No, no and NO thanks. Bookies are not always right are they?

13. Waddos_legends

It's the punters making him favourite and what do they know. This has been a done deal for months and the Coates family will have made this decision ages ago. I reckon a Champions League winning manager being out of work for so long only means one thing, he is coming to Stoke <ok>

14. Waddos_legends

15. Wandering Yid

Wandering Yid Well-Known Member

How is Benitez on the list? No offence but he must have a few more offers on the table...

16. Smithers

Forum Moderator

You would think so and I would imagine that there will a bit of manager change abroad aswell. The only thing is that Coates maybe able to offer a decent transfer kitty and due to our limited debt that may make us attratcive over clubs like Everton etc. I think the Man City job will go to someone from abroad and Chelsea will go with "the special one" so it doesnt leave him with alot of options in the prem with money.

17. Pottermouth 328

Why Rafa?
    I'm sure IF we get the right guy in Peter Coates will make money available. Let's be honest apart from Everton YES, (Bigger club than Stoke) but Martinez could possibly leave Wigan. And as many Stoke fans have said prior to Pulis leaving.
    ANY GOOD Manager could work with (our squad) Pulis didn't do that. We also need a Manager who won't take flack from any player's and plays our (better players) week in, week out. We know some of those who played on a regular basis are not good enough and they will or should be (found wanting) by the new Manager.

We don't know what Pulis said to Coates or Visa versa. Whatever it was I'm sure now that the board decided before yesterday. "It was time for a change in direction"

18. Joe3White

Joe3White Member

As well as the points Smithers has made, like Michael Owen, Benitez has a home not that far away on The Wirral. I know that because the lady golf pro at our club has seen her at the health club she goes to. How`s that for a very loose connection :emoticon-0105-wink: I`d love to see Rafa come here but I don`t think he will. Hope to God it`s not Hughes, he`s shown nothing but contempt for our club, and although I`m glad TP has gone( because of his stubborness in playing the same players and tactics) it would be a real kick in the teeth to have Hughes replace him when he wouldn`t even shake hands with TP. I don`t think he deserves that (TP,I mean) Plus Hughes has won F--k all anyway.

19. Joe3White

Joe3White Member

I should have said she`d seen Rafa`s wife at the health club :grin:

20. binge-on-beer

binge-on-beer Member

Do you think he might be interested in us ?

Roberto Martinez: Wigan boss set to decide on future
    By Ben Smith BBC Sport
    Roberto Martinez will make a decision on his future at Wigan in the next 24 hours after holding talks with chairman Dave Whelan at lunchtime today.
    The pair will meet again on Thursday when Martinez will reveal whether or not he plans to stay following Wigan's relegation from the Premier League.
    Martinez and Wigan
    Martinez played for Wigan 229 times between 1995 and 2001 when they were a Football League side, winning the Auto Windscreens Shield in 1999. He has taken charge of 175 games as manager
    "Roberto has asked for 24 hours to think about what is going on," Whelan told BBC Sport. "Tomorrow is D-Day."
    Wigan have yet to receive a formal approach for the highly-rated Spaniard.
    But 39-year-old Martinez, who led the Latics to FA Cup success this season, has been linked with Everton, Stoke City and Spanish club Malaga. Whelan, however, remains hopeful his manager will stay after talks on Wednesday.
    "I had a meeting with Roberto at noon today," the Wigan chairman said.
    "It was very constructive and Roberto is a very honest person to talk to. He is so disappointed at getting relegated, as I am, that I don't think he has come round yet to the idea that we have just got to gear up, accept it - that's football - and get back as soon as possible, that's next season."
    Play media

We had an incredible journey - Martinez
    Whelan revealed that Martinez had taken the club's relegation hard but hoped their relationship would see the Wigan manager stay to return the club to the top-flight.
    "It does take some swallowing when you get relegated, I fully understand that," Whelan added.
    "Tomorrow it is a straightforward meeting and he is going to say 'yes I want to stay at Wigan Athletic' or 'I wish to move and take my services elsewhere.'"
    Martinez joined Wigan as a player in 1995 but left in 2001, before returning as the club's manager in June 2009 after more than two years in charge at Swansea City.
    He managed to keep the club in the Premier League for three seasons and led the team to victory over Manchester City in this season's FA Cup final.
    Despite Wigan being relegated just days after their Wembley glory, Martinez has been linked with a number of other clubs but none have made an official enquiry yet.
    "We have had no approaches from anyone yet," said Whelan. "We are very honest with each other, Roberto has been dedicated to Wigan Athletic and he wants another 24 hours to think about it and talk to his wife."
    Whelan's close relationship with Martinez has been at the heart of Wigan's recent success and the 76-year-old hopes that loyalty may yet have a bearing on the outcome of Thursday's meeting.
    "There is a massive, massive amount of loyalty between Roberto and myself," added Whelan. "If he wants to stay, that is fantastic and I will be over the moon.
    "But if decides he wants to move his career I will fully respect that and I will give him every bit of support I can."